PDA

View Full Version : Equality.....yeah right

Pawsitive Thinking
06-06-2007, 06:40 AM
In our office we have a dry wipe board where everyone can put their appointments so we know who is in and who is out at any given time. During the week I've noticed that all the men have surreptiously booked Friday afternoon off.......seems they are all going racing leaving Jane and I in the office (again).

Nice to feel part of a team isn't it :(

JenBKR
06-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Well isn't that nice of them.....go and erase a couple of their names and put yours and Jane's in instead ;)

Cataholic
06-06-2007, 09:57 AM
I am against the whole dry erase board....the last thing I want is ALL the people in the office knowing what I am doing, or not doing!

Just this am, I had a VM from a client, "Hey, I hear you won't be in until 1030a, call me....".

I called him at 905a, he said, "Oh, what are you doing in, ahead of schedule?"

LOL. Even when people THINK they know what I am doing, they don't.

I do feel your pain. Years ago, Wednesday afternoons was always, 'out of office'. Yeah, all 3 male partners? Like I didn't know what was going on? LOL

Freedom
06-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Oh come on, Joanna, Wednesday afternoons has meant "golf" in the legal world for ever and a day! :rolleyes: It's just that the golf games got more competitive as women started graduating law school! :D

moosmom
06-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Right on Freedom! Sorry to say it, but it looks like a case of the "Good Ole Boys Club" that unfortunately, doesn't include you. That just plain sucks.

Catty1
06-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Well, it's time for you and Jane to find a really great blow-out sale at a local mall every Friday!!! What are the guys gonna come back with? :p

Edwina's Secretary
06-06-2007, 12:24 PM
More creativity needed here. Wait until you know a very big project is due. Preferably on a Friday. Then the two of you schedule off. Or if you have clients who come to the office....wait until a visit is planned. Then at the last minute schedule off. Leave a list of instruction as if they were school children.

I had a boss once. I was the only woman on the team. He would ask me to do the "girlie" stuff. One day he asked me to make his tea. Who knew you are to use HOT water in making tea???

Catty1
06-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Who knew you are to use HOT water in making tea???

LOLOL! THAT'LL teach him! :D

wombat2u2004
06-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Who knew you are to use HOT water in making tea???[/QUOTE]

Real women ????

Pawsitive Thinking
06-07-2007, 09:22 AM
yet I was introduced to "work experience boy" as the most important person in the office - was all I could do not to laugh out loud :rolleyes:

wombat2u2004
06-07-2007, 06:16 PM
On their honeymoon the new husband said to his bride, "I have a confession
that I should have made before, but I was concerned that it might affect
our relationship."
"What is it?" she asked.
"I'm a golfer," he said.
"What's the big deal about that?" she asked.
He replied, "When I say I'm a golfer, I mean that I'll be on the golf
course Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday afternoon, and any holidays. If it
comes to a choice between your wishes and golf, golf wins."
She pondered a moment and said, "I thank you for your honesty. In the same
spirit of honesty, I should tell you that I've concealed something about
my own past that you should know about..... "I'm a hooker."
"No problem," was his response, "just narrow your stance a little and
overlap your grip, swing through the ball, and that should clear it right
up."
Wom

Cinder & Smoke
06-07-2007, 07:30 PM
"I'm a hooker."
"No problem," was his response, "... that should clear it right up."

Oh, Womby ...

:p
:D

Pawsitive Thinking
06-08-2007, 05:34 AM
Apparently, they are all taking holiday so it's not a "boys jolly-up" :rolleyes:

However, Jane and I have both just been given £20 each from the boss - what price a guilty conscience eh :D

Cataholic
06-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Yet again, Wom pulls off another fab joke!

wombat2u2004
06-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Apparently, they are all taking holiday so it's not a "boys jolly-up" :rolleyes:

However, Jane and I have both just been given £20 each from the boss - what price a guilty conscience eh :D

Now now BM.....you wouldn't have got that 20 quid if not for the actions of the boys....yes ????
So I feel it's only fair that you should share it with them !!!!!
Wom

Marigold2
06-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Having equal rights comes from being equal, in education, intelligence, wealth, jobs etc. If woman want to be treated equally we need to step up to the plate and make ourselves heard. Staying home and having babies might be lovely and sweet but it's not what makes us equal. Earning money is what makes us equal. No money, no power. If a man is the breadwinner and he wants to throw you butt out on the street he can do so. Every woman should be able to support herself and her kids alone. This way if something happens, death, divorce she doesn't have to reley on a man to help.

RICHARD
06-11-2007, 03:15 AM
Honest to God...

I was a scheduler for the General Surgery Dept. of a large hospital/HMO.

There was a MFN little turd who refused to do surgery on a FRIDAY AFTERNOON...

The other doc, who was in charge of ALL the surgeons told me to book him until 5:30 on a Friday afternoon.....

I did, He complained and I had to cancel all the operations so he could leave early and party with his girlfriend.

I always wondered what his wife would have said..... :rolleyes:

Pawsitive Thinking
06-11-2007, 05:38 AM
Now now BM.....you wouldn't have got that 20 quid if not for the actions of the boys....yes ????
So I feel it's only fair that you should share it with them !!!!!
Wom

Of course, you are quite right Wom. What was I thinking??? :rolleyes:

Marigold2
06-11-2007, 05:58 AM
As to what his wife thought. She was probably glad he wasn't home much so she could do her shopping at Macy's, Nordstorm, Gucci, Prada and of course meet her boyfriend for lunch.
Honest to God...

I was a scheduler for the General Surgery Dept. of a large hospital/HMO.

There was a MFN little turd who refused to do surgery on a FRIDAY AFTERNOON...

The other doc, who was in charge of ALL the surgeons told me to book him until 5:30 on a Friday afternoon.....

I did, He complained and I had to cancel all the operations so he could leave early and party with his girlfriend.

I always wondered what his wife would have said..... :rolleyes:

wombat2u2004
06-11-2007, 07:08 AM
As to what his wife thought. She was probably glad he wasn't home much so she could do her shopping at Macy's, Nordstorm, Gucci, Prada and of course meet her boyfriend for lunch.

I wouldn't give her any money....that'd teach her !!!!! :p
Wom

Twisterdog
06-11-2007, 11:52 PM
I'd consider it a blessing ... a peaceful afternoon with the office all to yourselves! ;)

Cataholic
06-12-2007, 07:48 AM
Having equal rights comes from being equal, in education, intelligence, wealth, jobs etc. If woman want to be treated equally we need to step up to the plate and make ourselves heard. Staying home and having babies might be lovely and sweet but it's not what makes us equal. Earning money is what makes us equal. No money, no power. If a man is the breadwinner and he wants to throw you butt out on the street he can do so. Every woman should be able to support herself and her kids alone. This way if something happens, death, divorce she doesn't have to reley on a man to help.

While in some respects, I can see your point, in general, I find this post to be offensive to me as a woman, and especially, as a mother.

Earning money might, in your opinion, make us equal (though I do disagree), but, to continue to push this "money equates power" theory undermines not only parenting our children, but, any career in which money is not the driving force. Social services, education, child care careers immediately come to mind. And, then, there is the whole economic class argument to ponder: I make more money than you, therefore, I must be better than you. (I am stating this in the generic sense, not personally).

I am all for women obtaining education, a skill set, and a marriage, if that is what they so choose. But, linking equality to money is not the theory I buy into.

lbaker
06-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Earning the same amount of money does NOT make us equal to each other. Having the same or equally admirable qualities as a person may. That is up to each individual to figure out for themselves. How do we treat and show repect toward others? How do we wish to be treated and respected ourselves? Is that such a difficult concept?

lizbud
06-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Every woman should be able to support herself and her kids alone. This way if something happens, death, divorce she doesn't have to reley on a man to help.

I absolutely agree with this statement. :) We might not like the world
to be this way, but the reality is, it's true. Money does equal power and
also freedom in the world as it is today.

mina'smomma
06-12-2007, 10:05 AM
At least they compensate you for your time. I put in for my two week vacation in April for the end of June because if I go any later in the summer I'll be too far along in my pregnancy to enjoy the trip to NY, and it wasn't until two weeks ago it was denied. Reason was because of supposed new work hours. New work hours one day a week our office is open until 7:00 p.m. Real reason boss wanted to take a few days off while I would of been gone. So guess who doesn't get a vacation this year. :mad:

Cataholic
06-12-2007, 10:09 AM
I absolutely agree with this statement. :) We might not like the world
to be this way, but the reality is, it's true. Money does equal power and
also freedom in the world as it is today.

Maybe it is quibbling, Liz, but, her statement was that money makes us 'equal'.

Your statment that money equals power is different. Having more often makes us more powerful (whether that is right or wrong is another story), but, I would never agree that money makes us "equal".

Equality was about equal opportunity....not making us the same person as another. That would be impossible.

lizbud
06-13-2007, 10:04 AM
At least they compensate you for your time. I put in for my two week vacation in April for the end of June because if I go any later in the summer I'll be too far along in my pregnancy to enjoy the trip to NY, and it wasn't until two weeks ago it was denied. Reason was because of supposed new work hours. New work hours one day a week our office is open until 7:00 p.m. Real reason boss wanted to take a few days off while I would of been gone. So guess who doesn't get a vacation this year. :mad:

They don't call them "BOSS" for nothing. :( That sucks. Can't you take
a vacation at a different time?

lizbud
06-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Cataholic,

Have you heard of this book called "The Feminine Mistake" ?

It should be a must read for young women today. We can never have too
much information. :)

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/reviews/2007-04-02-feminine-mistake_N.htm

mina'smomma
06-13-2007, 11:28 AM
They don't call them "BOSS" for nothing. :( That sucks. Can't you take
a vacation at a different time?

Not really because by the time the baby gets here he'll be taking off for hunting season and then I'll be on maternity leave for about eight weeks and to take it before the baby gets here will be too miserable for us. I would have roughly a three month time spand between maternity and my anniversary date to take 18 days and it happens to fall during our busiest time of year. :(

Cataholic
06-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Cataholic,

Have you heard of this book called "The Feminine Mistake" ?

It should be a must read for young women today. We can never have too
much information. :)

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/reviews/2007-04-02-feminine-mistake_N.htm

LB- I had heard of it, from another board I frequent. But, I haven't read it, I confess. I truly have mixed emotions about motherhood and 'careers', something I did not have pre-J. The best of both worlds seems nearly mythical. I work because I have to now. My choice would be to stay at home with J. Every day. But, that isn't the card I am dealt.

But, I do believe (and I feel Cathy B ready to hunt me down and skin me alive any moment) that women deserve- yes, deserve- some special incentive when it comes to bearing children/raising children during that early period. I think a year long, paid by someone ( I don't know who) maternity (or paternity) leave should be a requirement.

I think there are plenty of hidden, disciminatory practices in place for mothers. (I guess most discriminatory practices are hidden, aren't they?). I think lots of things now that I didn't think.

But, none of this really addresses your question about the book. I should read it. I will make it a point to track it down at the L, or, purchase it online.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-14-2007, 05:46 AM
Not really because by the time the baby gets here he'll be taking off for hunting season and then I'll be on maternity leave for about eight weeks :(

8 weeks!!!! We get 9 months here :eek:

Edwina's Secretary
06-14-2007, 10:36 AM
8 weeks!!!! We get 9 months here :eek:

This is one of the shames of the US system. We get NO maternity leave by law unless the employer has at least 50 employees within a 50 mile area and even then it is only 12 weeks. And there is NO requirement that it be paid leave.

Believe it or not....MM's employer may be providing MORE benefits than the law requires!

Pawsitive Thinking
06-14-2007, 10:37 AM
This is one of the shames of the US system. We get NO maternity leave by law unless the employer has at least 50 employees within a 50 mile area and even then it is only 12 weeks. And there is NO requirement that it be paid leave.

Believe it or not....MM's employer may be providing MORE benefits than the law requires!

Can't think why kids are getting out of hand can you???

Cataholic
06-14-2007, 10:37 AM
I wanted to echo ES's comments. While MM might not be happy with what she is getting, it is a far cry more than what I got: none.

JenBKR
06-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by mina'smomma
Not really because by the time the baby gets here he'll be taking off for hunting season and then I'll be on maternity leave for about eight weeks

I feel your pain. I get three months, but it's unpaid of course. I am trying to save some of my vacation days, and saving some money. Would have been nice if I could have moved to another country just to get paid time off!

Pawsitive Thinking
06-14-2007, 10:45 AM
I wanted to echo ES's comments. While MM might not be happy with what she is getting, it is a far cry more than what I got: none.

Really??? How on earth did you cope?

JenBKR
06-14-2007, 10:54 AM

Your kidding? Wow I won't complain about mine anymore then - Did you at least get a couple days off?

lbaker
06-14-2007, 11:00 AM
When I first became preggers I was waitressing and was told that as soon as I started to "show" I would have to stop work (unpaid of course). Might make the male customers "uneasy" you know :rolleyes: Of course this was back in the dark ages after all. At least SOME things have improved ~

Cataholic
06-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Maybe I wasn't clear- I had NO paid time off, and since I wasn't working, my health insurance coverage was in jeopardy. I took 8 weeks 'off'.

JenBKR
06-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Maybe I wasn't clear- I had NO paid time off, and since I wasn't working, my health insurance coverage was in jeopardy. I took 8 weeks 'off'.

Ok I understand. Yes my time off isn't paid either, but I am on my husband's health insurance so at least I don't have to worry about that. This system is terrible. How horrible that your health insurance coverage was in jeopardy. Seems like we don't value mothers enough in this country :(

Edwina's Secretary
06-14-2007, 11:08 AM
The Family Medical Leave Act...requiring 12 weeks of unpaid leave...is fairly new... 1993. Before that it was at the discretion of the employer. When the law was passed there was great anguish about ....the end of the world as we know it...US business no longer competitive...etc. etc. etc.

Trust me...there are still employers out there with the attiude of Laurie's former boss!

lbaker
06-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Interesting thought Sara, I wonder what the attitude would have been if the restaurant owner or manager had been a woman :confused: Would she/they still be worried I would make the customers "uneasy" :confused:

Cataholic
06-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Interesting thought Sara, I wonder what the attitude would have been if the restaurant owner or manager had been a woman :confused: Would she/they still be worried I would make the customers "uneasy" :confused:

You know? There still are some women that subscribe to that whole theory, too. I think it is a double whammy....

Edwina's Secretary
06-14-2007, 11:25 AM

I would guess so in many cases. Pregnant women had to go into seclusion or confinement. School teachers had to leave the classroom when they began to "show". Our delicate little psyches couldn't handle seeing a pregnant teacher.... Part of the culture.

A pity a middle ground could not have been found. Now I see pregnant women with their naked tattooed belly hanging out the (large) gap between their pants and their shirt.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JenBKR
06-14-2007, 11:31 AM
A pity a middle ground could not have been found. Now I see pregnant women with their naked tattooed belly hanging out the (large) gap between their pants and their shirt.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know exactly what you mean. That's how a lot of the maternity clothes I have been finding are, and I can't stand it! I have had to look really hard for maternity clothes that aren't skin tight.

Edwina's Secretary
06-14-2007, 07:45 PM
but US employers are NOT required by law to provide ANY holidays, vacation, or sick time...paid or unpaid. No severance is required by law.

Not all employers provide these benefits...but employer who provide these things may do it for many reasons...but not because they have to do so by law.

(Feeling better all the time BM??)

Pawsitive Thinking
06-15-2007, 05:36 AM
I know exactly what you mean. That's how a lot of the maternity clothes I have been finding are, and I can't stand it! I have had to look really hard for maternity clothes that aren't skin tight.

What you need is a nice long t-shirt Jen, maybe with a catchy slogan ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
06-15-2007, 05:40 AM
(Feeling better all the time BM??)

Rule Britannia, Britinnia rules the waves...........etc...etc....

Our health service may be struggling but at least we have it and our employment laws appear to be fabulous :eek:

wombat2u2004
06-15-2007, 06:26 AM
Rule Britannia, Britinnia rules the waves...........etc...etc....

Our health service may be struggling but at least we have it and our employment laws appear to be fabulous :eek:

Hehehehe......so it's the same with us downunder BM. The safety nets are really great eh ????
Wom

Pawsitive Thinking
06-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Hehehehe......so it's the same with us downunder BM. The safety nets are really great eh ????
Wom

They certainly are :) Now where did I put my Union Jack????

wombat2u2004
06-15-2007, 06:49 AM
They certainly are :) Now where did I put my Union Jack????

I think it could be at the bottom of Boston Harbour.....along with all the good law books !!!!! :rolleyes:
Wom

lbaker
06-15-2007, 06:59 AM
:mad: Oh nevermind. Don't want to get started

JenBKR
06-15-2007, 08:21 AM
What you need is a nice long t-shirt Jen, maybe with a catchy slogan ;)

What an idea! I may have just the shirt........and yes I know, I need to post those pics :o

Pawsitive Thinking
06-15-2007, 08:24 AM
What an idea! I may have just the shirt........and yes I know, I need to post those pics :o

Subtle huh? ;)