PDA

View Full Version : Polish Girl's Holocaust Diary Unveiled

dukedogsmom
06-05-2007, 04:31 AM
So very sad.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070604/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_holocaust_diary

Polish girl's Holocaust diary unveiled By ARON HELLER, Associated Press Writer
Mon Jun 4, 7:01 PM ET

The diary of a 14-year-old Jewish girl dubbed the "Polish Anne Frank" was unveiled on Monday, chronicling the horrors she witnessed in a Jewish ghetto — at one point watching a Nazi soldier tear a Jewish baby away from his mother and kill him with his bare hands.

The diary, written by Rutka Laskier in 1943 shortly before she was deported to Auschwitz, was released by Israel's Holocaust museum more than 60 years after she recorded what is both a daily account of the horrors of the Holocaust in Bedzin, Poland and a memoir of the life of a teenager in extraordinary circumstances.

"The rope around us is getting tighter and tighter," the teenager wrote in 1943, shortly before she was deported to Auschwitz. "I'm turning into an animal waiting to die."

Within a few months Rutka was dead and, it seemed, her diary lost. But last year, a Polish friend who had saved the notebook finally came forth, exposing a riveting historical document.

"Rutka's Notebook" . The 60-page memoir includes innocent adolescent banter, concerns and first loves — combined with a cold analysis of the fate of European Jewry.

Some 6 million Jews were killed by the Nazis during World War II, after European Jews were herded into ghettos, banned from most jobs and forced to wear yellow stars to identify them.

"I simply can't believe that one day I will be allowed to leave this house without the yellow star. Or even that this war will end one day. If this happens I will probably lose my mind from joy," she wrote on Feb. 5, 1943.

"The little faith I used to have has been completely shattered. If God existed, He would have certainly not permitted that human beings be thrown alive into furnaces, and the heads of little toddlers be smashed with gun butts or shoved into sacks and gassed to death."

Reports of the gassing of Jews, which were not common knowledge in the West by then, apparently had filtered into the Bedzin ghetto, which was near Auschwitz, Yad Vashem experts said.

The following day she opened her entry with a heated description of her hatred toward her Nazi tormentors. But then, in an effortless transition, she described her crush on a boy named Janek and the anticipation of a first kiss.

"I think my womanhood has awoken in me. That means, yesterday when I was taking a bath and the water stroked my body, I longed for someone's hands to stroke me," she wrote. "I didn't know what it was, I have never had such sensations until now."

Later that day, she shifted back to her harsh reality, describing how she watched as a Nazi soldier tore a Jewish baby away from his mother and killed him with his bare hands.

The diary chronicles Rutka's life from January to April 1943. She shared it with her friend Stanislawa Sapinska, who she met after Rutka's family moved into a home owned by Sapinska's family, which had been confiscated by the Nazis to be included in the Bedzin ghetto. Sapinska came to inspect the house and the girls — one Jewish, one Christian — formed a deep bond.

When Rutka feared she would not survive, she told her friend about the diary. Sapinska offered to hide it in the basement under the floorboards. After the war, she returned to reclaim it.

"She wanted me to save the diary," Sapinska, now in her 80s, recalled Monday. "She said 'I don't know if I will survive, but I want the diary to live on, so that everyone will know what happened to the Jews.'"

Sapinska stashed the diary in her home library for more than 60 years. She said it was a precious memento and thought it to be too private to share with others. Only at the behest of her young nephew did she agree to hand it over last year.

"He convinced me that it was an important historical artifact," she said in Polish.

In 1943, Rutka was the same age as Anne Frank, the Dutch teenager whose Holocaust diary has become one of the most widely read books in the world. Yad Vashem said Rutka's newly discovered diary was authenticated by experts and Holocaust survivors.

Rutka's father, Yaakov, was the family's only survivor. He died in 1986. But unlike Anne Frank's father, he kept his painful past inside. After the war, he moved to Israel, where he started a new family. His Israeli daughter, Zahava Sherz, said her father never spoke of his other children, and the diary introduced her to the long-lost family she never knew.

"I was struck by this deep connection to Rutka," said Sherz, 57. "I was an only child, and now I suddenly have an older sister. This black hole was suddenly filled, and I immediately fell in love with her."

"I have a feeling that I am writing for the last time," Rutka wrote on Feb. 20, 1943, as Nazi soldiers began gathering Jews outside her home for deportation.

"I wish it would end already! This torment; this is hell. I try to escape from these thoughts of the next day, but they keep haunting me like nagging flies. If only I could say, it's over, you only die once ... but I can't, because despite all these atrocities, I want to live, and wait for the following day."

However, Rutka would write again. Her last entry was dated April 24, 1943, and her last written words were: "I'm very bored. The entire day I'm walking around the room. I have nothing to do."

In August, she and her family were sent to Auschwitz, where she is believed to have been killed upon arrival.

Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated

KYS
06-05-2007, 07:51 PM
The horrors what Rutka and others went through I will never fathom.
I will never understand how something like this ever happened, and
what's scary could happen again.
I am sure her diary will now be shared/treasured by many.

Not to take away from you post:
Though not a holocaust: but even today their are horror stories in countries such as Somalia. :(

Marigold2
06-08-2007, 11:23 PM
This is what my sweet mom went through. She was sent to concentration camp at 17 with her family. Out of 11 children she was the only one to survive.

Unless this is part of your family your close history you cannot imagine the horror. My mom hardly spoke of it. Her job was to bury the dead. I don't know how she lived through that and kept her sanity and her kindness but she did.

People were killed for all kinds of reasons. Not just the Jewish. The evilness of mankind is so far beyond what most can imagine.

My mom always said "there are worst things then death" she knew what she was talking about.

dukedogsmom
06-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Marigold, that is just too tragic. I don't know how your mother dealt with that and lived through it. I think, had I been her, I might have wished not to live. And that she was a sweet woman is even more of a miracle. That is so sad about her siblings.

Kfamr
06-09-2007, 01:10 AM
Such a sad time.

Val, have you ever been to the Holocaust Museum down here? Very sad but and interesting place to visit.

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Reading her words made me so sad !! It is so scary how much evil that can live in some people's hearts... to torture other human beings and even animals!!

This world can be a scary place. I can't even begin to imagine the terror those people had to live through!

Pam
06-09-2007, 06:31 AM
It is beyond our imagination to even begin to comprehend the horrors of that time. There is another excellent book called The Hiding Place (available on Amazon). It describes a Dutch family's efforts to save Jews by hiding them in their attic. It is a very moving story and just horrifying to know that this really happened.

http://www.soon.org.uk/true_stories/holocaust.htm
This link actually provides a condensed version of the book.

My former boss was Jewish. His parents actually met in a concentration camp. They have been approached by many people and asked to tell their story in a book but they have refused. They said they just want to forget. I remember one day my boss was telling me that his daughter came in from playing and said she was starving and asked what was for dinner. Her grandfather told her right away "Don't ever speak like that. You have no idea what to starve really is."

Alysser
06-09-2007, 07:06 AM
This is what my sweet mom went through. She was sent to concentration camp at 17 with her family. Out of 11 children she was the only one to survive.

Unless this is part of your family your close history you cannot imagine the horror. My mom hardly spoke of it. Her job was to bury the dead. I don't know how she lived through that and kept her sanity and her kindness but she did.

People were killed for all kinds of reasons. Not just the Jewish. The evilness of mankind is so far beyond what most can imagine.

My mom always said "there are worst things then death" she knew what she was talking about.

That is terrifying Marigold. :(

I just finished this as a lesson in school. It was mostly just on Anne's Franks story. We watched the movie and the ending was really sad where her sister dies in that camp. Alot of my friends said they cried in class. We also had a Holocaust survivor come to our school and tell us his story, he was very lucky. But to tell you the truth, the school can only teach us the facts. We will never really know what living like that felt like, even if we saw those concentration camps today. It's really an undescribable feeling being locked away from the world like some criminal because you're different in some way.

When I think about it, I can't even describe my feelings toward it.

dukedogsmom
06-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Such a sad time.

Val, have you ever been to the Holocaust Museum down here? Very sad but and interesting place to visit.
I haven't. Where is it? I still want to go to that little museum near your house just out of curiosity. Have you ever been in it?

wombat2u2004
06-09-2007, 07:54 PM
A very sad story Monica.....very sad indeed.
Wom

Marigold2
06-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words. They truly mean a lot to me. It means my mom will not be forgotten. As I said I don't know how my mom stayed so kind and sweet, she couldn't stand to see suffering in anyone or anything. She always said she had seen enough. I remember her eatting cold food, not warming it up. I would say to her "mom do you want me to warm that up for you?" and she replied "no honey I am just glad to have some food". She so enjoyed the smallest things, a warm cup of coffee, a cool drink, a gentle breeze. They were all small miracles to her. Mom took nothing for granted.
She came to America at 34, learned how to speak and read English, worked her entire life until she died of a car accident. She had so little joy. I never understood her pain, Mother's Day with no mom. Christmas, Easter, her own grandchildren and no family to share it with. Who can imagine losing everyone you know and love at 21, along with your home. We as a people must never allow this to happen again. My mom was born in 1925 and her generation is slowly dying out. Soon no one will be left from that time. I hope that we have the compassion, intelligence and kind heart to never forget and never repeat what happened in Germany and all of Europe. These people truly were a great generation. They worked, loved, fought and raised their families with all the love they could after having been through horrible times. Our World War 11 vets are all heros, lets not forget that.
If you are lucky enough to have a parent or grandparent from that time please talk to them. Write down information they have. I wish I know my grandmother's maiden name. I wish I know my aunts and uncles names, what they looked like, what they dreamed off. I know I had an uncle Bruno with red hair. And an aunt Lillian. I wish I know the name of my mom's pony and dog, what her bedroom looked like. How many sisters shared that room. What her favorite meal was as a child. Her favorite holiday memory. So many questions I never asked, so many she couldn't speak of because of the pain. Now lost forever. I have no pictures of my mom's family. The Nazis took their farm their house and all their possesions, I have no pictures of my mom as a child, or her family. I would pay all I have just to see one picture of my grandparents aunts and uncles. If you have pictures of your grandparents I hope you treasure them. It's been 13 years since my mom died. I miss her everyday, but I am now also able to laugh and smile about some good times.
All the good in me, is from her. My love of gardening, flowers and pets.
I live on in my mom as do my children. She would be proud I think.

Kfamr
06-09-2007, 11:37 PM
I haven't. Where is it? I still want to go to that little museum near your house just out of curiosity. Have you ever been in it?

The Holocaust one is in St. Petersburg, I believe. Are you talking about the one in the old house - about Palm Harbor? No, I've never been to that one.

Giselle
06-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Touching story, Marigold. You and your mother are truly amazing people. However, I kept seeing one sentiment repeated over and over again - that we as human beings can never let this atrocity happen again. But the truth is that this terror continues today.

While you're remembering the Holocaust, think of Sudan. Think of Iraq. Think of all the unspoken genocide that proceeds because of ignorance and a refusal to act. Remember MLK: "To ignore evil is to become an accomplice to it."

wombat2u2004
06-10-2007, 01:04 AM
"To ignore evil is to become an accomplice to it."
That is so very true !!!!
Wom

Marigold2
06-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Agreed. I am just hoping there is never another great war, a world war. Where no one is safe and no one can help.