PDA

View Full Version : Poor Charlie - his foot again :( - Update # 15

Scooter's Mom
06-04-2007, 09:14 PM
We got Charlie's little white footsie all better, or so we thought. He was playing with it and walking normally. It started swelling yesterday and today it looks like it popped, and it's bleeding! He's going to the vet on Thursday night... they're open late. With me having missed 3 weeks of work in May, that's the earliest we can get him to the vet.

I still have clavamox pills I'm trying to stuff down his throat, poor boy. We bought them, gave him one and called the vet and went for the liquid last time.

I just don't know what is irritating his little footsie. He's walking on it, and he doesn't SEEM in any discomfort. I think MOM is the one in the most pain just aching for the baby kitty to be well.

I am so upset... This poor boy has had one thing after another. Could you guys keep him in your thoughts?

Thanks,
Crystal

Taz_Zoee
06-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Charlie and his little paw paw are in my thoughts. :)

Scooter's Mom
06-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Last time the vet told me I could try soaking it - I think they said half peroxide and half warm water?

Does anyone know if that sounds right?

Catty1
06-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Oh no, poor Charlie - it's like there is a thorn or something that keeps it from healing!

I hope he is better very soon! I take it he's a challenge to pill? Does the liquid work any better?

Prayers for you and Charlie!

Scooter's Mom
06-04-2007, 09:34 PM
He's a challenge to medicate at all!

He runs like a mad-cat all over the house. Trapping him in one room doesn't help, either. He was a feral kitty that the shelter took in - he had been living wild in the AZ desert at the time - and they tamed him enough to adopt out. I fell in love and the rest is history. But he's retained a lot of his wild ways... including not liking peole unless it's on his terms. ESPECIALLY if we have medicine with us.

Off to catch him for his nightly dose. :(

Scooter's Mom
06-04-2007, 09:42 PM
That dosage didn't take too long. yay!

krazyaboutkatz
06-05-2007, 12:20 AM
I'm sorry to hear that his foot is giving him problems again.:( I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

CultureJunky
06-05-2007, 05:11 AM
Oh poor scooter, I'm sending my best wishes to you and hope your sore footsie gets better really quickly.

Laura's Babies
06-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Poor baby. He will be in my thoughts. Wonder what is making his foot so sore and swollen?

jennielynn1970
06-05-2007, 07:31 AM
When my foster Calloway had an abscess on his tail my vet said that peroxide was ok, but that betadine mixed with some warm water to make a compress was better, that it actually killed the germs. Might want to try that is you can. I used sterile gauze pads and tried to get it on his tail the best I could. Just dabbing it on him worked better than the peroxide.

Medusa
06-05-2007, 07:34 AM
I somehow missed this thread so I'm not sure what's happening w/Charlie's foot. But I can relate to you what was going on w/my dog Charmin years ago. She constantly licked her paw, vet didn't know why, to the point where she would form a huge blister on the top of it. I would soak it in warm Epsom salts and that would cause it to pop, all the stuff would come out and the Epsom salts helped it to heal. I realize dogs have different temperaments from cats but you might give it a try. It certainly couldn't hurt Charlie and he might enjoy it because it's soothing. My vet bandaged her leg clear past the second joint to try to keep her from licking and chewing on her paw. But I'd come home from work and find the entire bandage, looked like a leg, lying on the floor. She'd somehow manage to get the entire bandage off w/out having to unravel it. She was determined! My vet thought it was an obsessive thing w/her and she continued it til the day she died! Maybe this isn't the case w/Charlie. I'm just throwing around an idea here for you to consider. At any rate, why not give the Epsom salts a whirl?

Scooter's Mom
06-05-2007, 07:42 AM
We will pick up some Epsom salt on the way home tonight.

Then I'll wear about 10 layers of clothing and try to soak his little foot. I hate seeing him hurting. Even if it isn't hurting him, it sure doesn't look comfortable.

I felt his foot around it, it doesn't feel "hot" to my touch. I have never had a kitty that got into so many things as this boy does. All my others (been plenty too lol) have been mild in comparison.

Thanks for all the advice.
Crystal

Freedom
06-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Oh Charlie, you werer almost all better! What happened, there, buddy?

It sounds like the sore keeps healing from the outside in and something (thorn, germs, whatever) gets trapped and starts the cycle all over again. So it needs to heal from the inside out, like a puncture wound. In that case, you need to keep the outside soft and open while the healing takes place deep inside first. Soaking in epsom salts regularly would help with that.

Is there some little treat he likes, which you could put on a finger and keep him busy licking it off while you soak the paw? Maybe a tuna fish paste? Just trying to generate ideas.

catmandu
06-05-2007, 06:42 PM
We are sorry to hear that Charlies paws giving him a problem again.
That poor Fellow seems not to be able to get a lucky break, we are praying that his Ouchie will heal up very soon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/Scan10162.jpg

Scooter's Mom
06-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Charlie has to have surgery on Friday 6/15. The infection is really bad, and all the way to the bone on that toe. His toenail/claw is completely gone. They tried to clean it today and it just bled everywhere, and he was in a large amount of pain (as were they since he is so mean! lol). They say there is a very real possibility they will have to amputate the entire toe, if not more. It's very bad.

So, he's got Clavamox again. He also got a shot of antibiotic today...

Please say a prayer for my sweet boy. Even though the vet thinks he's a vicious animal, he's such a love-bug with me.

Thanks,
Crystal & Charlie

Catty1
06-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Prayers for Charlie!

Maybe there is just some nasty little permanent thing in there that won't go away! Maybe they can find it with surgery - I hope they don't have to amputate.

Prayers that all goes well and Charlie heals this time. {{{hugs}}}

krazyaboutkatz
06-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Poor Charlie.:( I hope he'll feel better soon. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

momcat
06-09-2007, 08:30 PM
This is such sad news, poor little Charlie. Many prayers are being prayed for Charlie to get over his ouchie minus the stress of surgery and prayers for you too. Please keep us posted?

Medusa
06-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Aw sweet Charlie. Even if he does have to lose a toe, he'll be fine. But we're praying that he doesn't. And I can sympathize w/ya on the meanness issue. Everyone, including my vet, thinks Puddy is mean, although lately even my vet has said that she can be a lovey when she wants to. She's so sweet w/me but when she doesn't want to be messed with, she means it! It's probably that way w/Charlie, too. We know the real truth about our furkids, don't we? ;) Hang in there and keep us posted.

jennielynn1970
06-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Awe... poor Charlie! I hope the vet can just remove the infected area and that they don't have to do anything too invasive! Some of my guys are horrendous at the vet, but so sweet here. I remember my mom and dad's one cat had to be muzzled there, they said they had never seen such a huge mouth on a cat, that it was like a snake's that unhinged at the jaw!! :o :eek: She was just scared, poor girl!

Thoughts and prayers on the way for Charlie boy! Be good Charlie, we're all going to be thinking about you and praying that things go well!

Laura's Babies
06-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Awwww! Poor Charlie.. Lets hope after the visit on the 15th that all this will be just a bad memory for the poor baby.

Scooter's Mom
06-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Also, meant to say that our vet is so awesome. We saved about $80 off our bill today (we had to take Oreo in too)... I feel so bad, but they know we're totally broke right now and facing my own health issues. I love my vets office!

I may have mentioned it before - but after my sugery on the 11th, they called a couple of times just to check on me (not the pets) lol. They're such good people. I am so very fortunate to have found them.

The only bad thing is - the surgery is going to cost about $200 or more. They're going to keep Charlie from Thursday night through Saturday morning, since we don't have a way to get him there Friday morning before work (we leave too dang early). I know Charlie's worth it though! And my hubby agrees, we have to get Charlie well. I think hubby is tired of seeing me cry over the kitty... lol.

Catty1
06-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Is there time to check with iMOM and see if you qualify for help? Their guideline is "non-routine surgery" which this is!

The amount you need is relatively low compared to some of the surgeries on there.

www.imom.org

Can't hurt to try!

HUGS!

Randi
06-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Oh, poor Charlie. :( I hope he won't have to have amputated his toe or anything, hopefully the antibiotics will help him get better.

Lots of positive and healing thoughts coming his way.

rg_girlca
06-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Poor Charlie. Prayers and positive thoughts on the way that he won't need to have his toe amputated and has a full and speedy recovery.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Scooter's Mom
06-10-2007, 08:18 PM
I was watching Charlie a bit ago. He was chasing his laser pointer. He used that foot to bat at the red dot... to me, that indicates it isn't causing him as much pain as the vet says it is. But, he could just be stubborn (wouldn't be the only one of my pets to be stubborn!).

Has anyone had a kitty with missing toes? I know a lot of folks have kitties with extras but I've never seen one with missing toesies. Just kind of wondering what it looks like - trying to brace myself almost, to what it may look like.