PDA

View Full Version : Grrrr - GE and the refrigerator saga ...

Karen
06-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Be warned. If you are about to buy a new refrigerator, do not be fooled into thinking GE is a trustworthy company and a good brand. Since we came back from Findlay, this (http://nofreezer.wordpress.com/2007/06/04/3/) is what we have been dealing with.

If you know anyone who is about to buy a refrigerator, send them our link, please. We didn't buy the cheapest one, we bought one we thought would - well - reliably keep food cold!

Catsnclay
06-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Omy goodness Karen!

What a nightmare. Why doesn't GE just give you a new one? Same model, just exchange it for one that works!!

I can't believe the manager! Telling you that it works....over the phone and was never there in person!! What gall :eek:

Keep writing or phoning them, you do know the 'squeaky wheel does get oil' sometimes you just need to make it squeak more until they give you what you want.

Then, after all that I would take them to small claims court to get your money back for all the food you lost to their "perfect" refrigerator!

caseysmom
06-04-2007, 01:05 PM
My sweet lovely brother was canned by GE because he stood up once to a customer who went off on him because he was following GE's cruddy policy.

My brother use to say that ge didn't give a crud about their customers.

Blue_Frog
06-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Wow -- thats awful!! :mad: I've been trying to convince my BF that we need a new fridge (since the one we have is about 25 years old and leaks water sometimes when the drip tray gets overfull) -- I DEFINATELY won't go with a GE now (there were a couple on the shortlist of models we liked).

It also looks like a bunch of other people have problems with them as well --
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/ge_refrigerators.htm

Jadapit
06-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Wow, it sounds like GE doesn't "bring good things to life" after all. That really sucks Karen.

Catlady711
06-04-2007, 01:14 PM
I haven't read your saga yet, but I will later tonight when I have more time.

Our fridge is a Hotpoint from Sears and has been fine for the 3-4 years we've had it.

MANY of the once well known reliable name brands have since purchased unknown foriegn company brands and slapped their own lables on it. Many of the once reliable Kenmore name brands may actually be some unknown forigien company bought out by Kenmore and just has a Kenmore label slapped on it.

Always do research and check reviews before buying any expensive appliance/furniture/electronic item!

Hope things get better for you.

caseysmom
06-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Karen, My brother recommended admiral and recommended the freezer on the bottom type fridge's.

Cinder & Smoke
06-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Since we came back from Findlay, this (http://nofreezer.wordpress.com/2007/06/04/3/) is what we have been dealing with.

You had a Blog reply asking WHAT Home Depot has to say about this ...

I'll Second that Question ... and suggest you Raise the Roof at Home Depot!

You're not alone in having Ice Box Woes ...
Unka Pat & Miz Joan bought a not-so-cheap SEARS ice-a-box a year ago -
with a built-in ICE-Cube Maker in the door.

Ice became plentiful ... much TOO plentiful ... after a few weeks the Ice Maker
went into 24/7, double-overtime, ice production. The Bin filled, then began
spewing ice throughout the freezer compartment.

Mr. Sears was contacted ... "OMG! THAT shouldn't happen! ... We'll be right out!"

Well, Mr. Sears and a buncha his 'Best Techs' have replaced the Ice Maker System
more times than anyone can count ... one even lasted a couple of months
before the Ice Age returned and overran the kitchen. Suggestions to "just REPLACE
the whole Refrigerator" seem to fall upon deaf ears ... "Never give up; nor admit defeat"
must be the new Sears motto. So Far, they're not out an Money ... but are
considering opening an Ice Cube Shoppe.

As a thought ... call the BBB (Better Business Bureau) in town ...
most "BIG" Companies do NOT like to hear from the BBB! :eek:

Vela
06-04-2007, 01:30 PM
It's only been 8 weeks. If you have your receipt, take it to the nearest Home Depot store and demnd either a new unit or your money back in store credit to get a new one. THEY can then send it back to GE as an RMA and it won't cost them a dime.

Jadapit
06-04-2007, 01:33 PM
It's only been 8 weeks. If you have your receipt, take it to the nearest Home Depot store and demnd either a new unit or your money back in store credit to get a new one. THEY can then send it back to GE as an RMA and it won't cost them a dime.

I agree with Vela, we've gotten things at Home Depot that didn't work out. A swamp cooler that wasn't right for us and a cracked toliet. They were super good about taking the items back, they gave us our money back on the cooler and a new toliet. It sure wouldn't hurt to try. You need to get a fridge that works right.

Queen of Poop
06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Don't buy a GE dishwasher either. The motor failed twice and leaked water ALL OVER THE PLACE! Then, the 2nd guy that came to fix it informed that their dishwashers are only built to last 18 months.

Logan
06-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Good grief, Karen! Time to nail Home Depot, I think. This should all be covered under warranty and if you aren't happy, they should be all over it. I'd forget GE and work with the store you bought it from!

We have a Fridgidaire refrigerator and I'm having my own set of issues with it, but nothing like you describe. I get crushed ice when I want cubed ice and the freezer portion seems to forget that! LOL!

Logan

Karen
06-04-2007, 02:02 PM
We did call Home Depot, and they said that after 3 service calls to GE, they'd replace it. But it is astouding to us that the GE manager said "Just use it, it's working fine" as if it being cold RIGHT NOW negated it being warm over the weekend, and that, for example, hamburgers that get thawed and refrozen after indeterminate periods of warmth are a-okay to consume - NOT!

mruffruff
06-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the heads-up.
Tomorrow the Sears Repair man is going to see why my refrigerator isn't cooling enough. It's a Kenmore that has run beautifully for 18 years. I hope I can save it, but if I need to replace I know what NOT to buy.

Saved! $35 part, $183 labor and it's good for another 10 years. And the guy was 5 minutes early!!!

Freedom
06-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Oh Karen, so sorry. NO ICE CREAM???? I do agree that is a major crisis. :D

Home Depot should be able to get a new one out to you, take away the busted one, and no cost to you.

AND -

MAYBE you want the new one to be a different brand? Also possible, at this point. Especially if the new one costs the same or more (even just $5 more). They "may" have a little problem if the new one costs a bit less, not sure.

Have you checked what Consumer Reports suggests for refridgerators? I always "try" to check them at the library before buying a big appliance.

Let us know.

Oh, and mruffruff, there have been great improvements in 18 years. You will find a new one will cost much less to run annually.

caseysmom
06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the heads-up.
Tomorrow the Sears Repair man is going to see why my refrigerator isn't cooling enough. It's a Kenmore that has run beautifully for 18 years. I hope I can save it, but if I need to replace I know what NOT to buy.

My brother worked on applianced for 30 years and really like Kenmore's also.

Also...I would forget about the BBB they get money from businesses so they can put a sticker in the window, they are useless. I would file in small claims court for the price of a brand new refrigerator plus your loss of food, most likely you would win and more likely you will get someone's attention.

Cinder & Smoke
06-04-2007, 04:35 PM
We did call Home Depot, and
they said that after 3 service calls to GE, they'd replace it.

Well, it's way past time to make it happen ...

Call your 'Good Friends' at GE no-Service and tell em:
"The dang thing Quit Again! ... We could cook hot dogs in the freezer compartment!"

Never mind that it's workin fine when you call ... then when Mr. CantFixZit arrives,
tell him he "Just Missed It ... musta come back on not 20 minutes ago!"
(Best if you try to keep a straight face here.) :p
Also helpful to have a couple warm & wilted hamburg patties or a de-frosted package of corn
to offer as Show & Tell items.

Just be sure to get a copy of his "No trouble found" report - that otta meet
the "Third Time's a Charm" requirement for Home Depot to replace the Junker.

Fight B.S. with more B.S. :D

caseysmom
06-04-2007, 04:48 PM
I would start complaining about intestenal irregularities also :D

lizbud
06-04-2007, 05:08 PM
It's hard to believe that people would have these kinds of problems
with big outfits like Home Depot or GE. :confused: Tell them you will
not pay for the inferior product & demand they deliver a working unit
ASAP. I don't blame you for not trusting the fridge to not fail again.

Doesn't either group have a Customer Service Dept.? I'd complain loud
and long till this was taken care of.

Logan
06-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Karen, just a thought...........if you used a credit card to pay for the refrigerator, why don't you call them and ask for the charge to be reversed, based on poor performance. Might work!

Paul
06-04-2007, 05:26 PM
   Thank you everyone for your suggestions and support. I forgot the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Reports existed. We did use a credit card perhaps that will help.

Paul

moosmom
06-04-2007, 05:36 PM
I have never found GE products very good. I've bought answering machines, cordless phones and other small appliances from them in past years, and have found they are not reliable at all.

The media...a WONDERFUL, useful tool to getting the attention of retailers. Call the newspapers, tv stations, anyone who will listen and toot your horn. You'll be surprized how quick they will try to quell the problem.

Lady's Human
06-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Speaking of media, just a thought:

http://wbz1030.com/pages/3773.php?

It's the WBZ consumer hotline. They help with issues like this at times.

AbbyMom
06-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Karen, just a thought...........if you used a credit card to pay for the refrigerator, why don't you call them and ask for the charge to be reversed, based on poor performance. Might work!

Good idea! My hubby and I have found contesting the charges to be mighty effective when the manufacturer wants to brush us off!

We won't buy another GE fridge since the last one had a compressor failure after a year. Oh yeah, the technician said...a known problem. That was 1988.

catnapper
06-04-2007, 09:35 PM
What a mess Karen! I'm shocked a company could be so non-challant!

I learned a few years ago that GE just doesn't mean quality anymore. I bought two window AC units for $350 and $250 about 3 years ago. I could have bought the same number of BTUs for at least $100 less each unit, but I wanted something would be around for many, many years. 2 years later and the $250 one cools to a "perfectly pleasant" 80 degrees :rolleyes: and the $350 one does manage to cool a 3' radius of air til its C-O-L-D. Two feet away and you're H-O-T. I'm not sure which is worse, the one that manages to cool the whole room to 80 or the one that freezes a 3' zone.... hmmm... maybe you should put my big AC unit inside your refridgerator? Together you might get dependably cold food! :D :p

dukedogsmom
06-04-2007, 09:59 PM
I highly suggest writing a letter at Planet Feedback (http://www.planetfeedback.com/) This is a great place. They send your letter to the corporate office for your area. I've had good results from them. Been a fan for years.

smokey the elder
06-05-2007, 07:15 AM
I refuse to buy a product from GE. I'm more inclined to buy a reliable Korean brand like LG or Samsung. I have 3 Samsung air conditioners and they work very well, and just ordered an LG washer (my washer of x years old...it was there when I bought my house...just failed.)

We had this GE fridge at my apartment and the compressor failed when we were away for a long weekend. Fortunately I had the best landlord, who took money off the rent for the spoiled food!

If you have the equivalent of "7 on Your Side" like we have in New York, take advantage of it! They lean on people and they'll cave to prevent bad publicity (or at least for damage control purposes.)

Laura's Babies
06-05-2007, 08:10 AM
http://badbusinessbureau.com/

Another good place on the internet to report it... I would report it everywhere I could and enough bad publicity will close them down or make them clean up their act!

You might also warn GE that they are going to be fully accountable for ANY food born illness brought on by their brush off and refusal to repair. There WILL be a law suit one day because someone gets sick!! WHAT are they thinking anyway?

Arrrrrrg! I just checked and my fridge is a GE.... 6 years old and it makes a loud odd noise from time to time.. :rolleyes:

Whatever happened to pride in products and wanting to be the best on the market?

DJFyrewolf36
06-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Is this thing covered under any type of warrenty? There are warrenties that allow you to take the unit to a third party repair shop and have the company billed for them, as long as the warrenty is with the manufactuer and the third party repair place has to be authorized to work on GE products.

Check the paperwork if you havent already. There is more than one way to brun GE :D

lizbud
06-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Speaking of media, just a thought:

http://wbz1030.com/pages/3773.php?

It's the WBZ consumer hotline. They help with issues like this at times.

This is a great idea. I hope you have something similar were you live.
In Indy, we have the same sort of thing called "Call 6". the local TV station
guy is a regular feature on the air & website for WRTV, Channel.

It really works, I even used it once & they got my problem handled
quickly & completely. :)

king2005
06-05-2007, 11:23 AM
GE has gone down the poop shoot in quality. They were never great, but they were a good cheap company. Now its all poop.

I work for Samsung, so I see the inside stuff too! I'm also not some silly sales person trying to make a buck. I gain NOTHING from this, except knowing I shared the truth.

Samsung has a great line of products. over the many years Samsung has went from your typical Korean company, & its now nearing the world leaders!

You know Maytag washers, guess who makes them? hi :D
Maytag is the leader in washers (d'uh) & Samsung is #3 (our name is still growing).

Now for fridges, the freezer on the bottom/side is best. Our best fridge/freezer is the 4 compartment. Each compartment is independently run with its own compressor (meaning that smelly freezer smell wont go into the fridge or the other 3 compartment...) The left door is the freezer. the right is the fridge.. the bottom 2 are either or, its your choice & you can change it whenever...

NOW!!! Like everything doo doo happends & the fridge can break (could have had a rough shipment, or a faulty part). Its ALWAYS recommended to take the extended warranty through the store you buy it from, so your covered past our 1yr warranty.

In the USA I have heard that the customer isn't great, but its not horrid either! here in Canada I work it (well kinda, I'm not on phones, I deal with the FAQ system & the customer emails)... we do work hard to get things done properly & on time.

The biggest change the company has done (not sure about Samsung USA, Samsung Canada IS different). We are now starting to replace malfunctioning products with BRAN new product, as doing too many repairs or doing referbished just isn't good enough anymore.

I don't know ALL the details, but I can find out stuff. Ask & I'll do my best to get the info. But remember what I say may be different then the USA...

& yes I have a lot of Samsung products. I have also had 1 Samsung product malfunction... I brought it in & was fixed sameday... We learned that PCillion & the K5 do NOT mix... that virus scanner ate the firmware in the player & deleted all 800 songs... the player wasn't harmed, just the firmware, which is easy to get back & now shouldn't happen with the updated firmware.

Yes I'm internal, but my friends Samsung phone broke. I brought it in & they looked at it... Turns out the phone got too wet & the water finally ate away at the parts inside... Saddly the phone cannot be saved & there is nothing Samsung can do, as thats a user causing damage to the phone (which it was)... BUT I was told what my friend could do to get a free replacement.. take it back to the service provider... as they deal with cell phone issues... no new phone yet, as this is only a couple days old & my friend hasn't had time to get out yet.

USA: www.samsung.com
Canada: www.samsung.ca

Freedom
06-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Karen, what's the latest on the fridge saga? I'm worried about you and Paul - New Englanders with no access to ice cream in the house. :eek: :D

Daisy and Delilah
06-10-2007, 01:41 PM
It's hard to believe that people would have these kinds of problems
with big outfits like Home Depot or GE. :confused: Tell them you will
not pay for the inferior product & demand they deliver a working unit
ASAP. I don't blame you for not trusting the fridge to not fail again.

Doesn't either group have a Customer Service Dept.? I'd complain loud
and long till this was taken care of.

I couldn't agree more!! What a nightmare :(

RICHARD
06-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Ugh,

Thanks for reminding me...

"G.E.-We bring good things to life"

Like frigging aircraft engines and medical imaging systems.....

Now I remember why I do not fly or go to see a doctor. :eek:

Karen
06-10-2007, 06:14 PM
GE called and left us a message on Saturday, but we could not return the call because they were not open. Frustrating ...

We have a new service appointment set up for Thursday, and until then, we just don't buy any large quantities of perishable food. In fact, all that's in my freezer rught now is a little pudding cup - because at least those are in plastic containers, so if/when the freezer unfreezes again, there won't be another mess. I wake up each day and check the fridge, hoping my milk for my morning cereal will still be good ... this is not a fun way to live, trust me!

RICHARD
06-10-2007, 06:24 PM
We have a new service appointment set up for Thursday, and until then, we just don't buy any large quantities of perishable food. my morning cereal will still be good ... this is not a fun way to live, trust me!

I don't mean to poke fun at your problems, but wouldn't this guy be a sight for sore eyes on Thursday? :eek:

http://www.tvacres.com/beta/images/admascot_maytag.jpg
The New Maytag Repair Man!

lizbud
06-10-2007, 06:45 PM
. I wake up each day and check the fridge, hoping my milk for my morning cereal will still be good ... this is not a fun way to live, trust me!

This is sad. :( I feel so bad for you both, We are not supposed to be
pioneers in the 21th century. :D

wombat2u2004
06-10-2007, 06:54 PM
I've never bought anything made by GE in my life.
My cousin was hired by them many years ago as an apprentice cabinet maker.....some apprenticeship......they taught him how to hand sand TV cabinets, and had him doing that for 4 years. That's how they get cheap labour....promise the kids a trade, and then just use them up.
They have always been a scumbucket company.
Wom

Karen
06-10-2007, 09:49 PM
I don't mean to poke fun at your problems, but wouldn't this guy be a sight for sore eyes on Thursday? :eek:

http://www.tvacres.com/beta/images/admascot_maytag.jpg
The New Maytag Repair Man!

Well, if he could fix or replace the darned thing, sure, but he's the Maytag guy. We had two service guys here already, who were perfectly nice guys, but the second one checked everything and couldn't find anything wrong, and when asked, said he wouldn't eat food from our freezer!