PDA

View Full Version : Please keep Pouncer in your prayers.

catnapper
06-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Does anyone need to guess? He's sick again.:(

I spotted pee on a few plastic bags yesterday and just now I caught him peeing in the spot where the bags had been. :(

A quick call to the vet yeilded an appointment for Wednesday morning. I apparently had one set up for this morning as a re-check and I missed it! :o How stupid can I be?!?! :mad: Why didn't they call to confirm/remind me of the appointment? (I lost my date book a few weeks ago and went about making a new one, and apparently never realized I missed this morning's vet appt.)

Anyhow, my little boy is sick again. I know he needs the surgery but I just can't afford it right now... my dreams of a laptop will be replaced by surgery for a lapcat. He's worth it. I just need to come up with the $800 up front. *Sigh*

So please, keep my boy in your prayers. He's such a good boy, and deserves to be healthy.

jenluckenbach
06-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Prayers for Pouncer.

K & L
06-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Gosh poor Pouncer. I sure hope things get better for him and yourself real soon.

Catty1
06-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Poor boy!

I guess there is no time for an iMOM app?

hugs to Pouncer! And you!

Kirsten
06-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Oh no, not again!! :( :( :( Poor Pouncer!! Lily sends purrs and nose-kissies!

Did you ask your vet about Cantharis? It's a homoepathic remedy, and it's helping Luna a lot with her bladder problems. She's doing much better!

Kirsten

Logan
06-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Kim, I will keep Pouncer and you in my prayers. I'm so sorry that he is continuing to have this problem. :(

Best of luck to both of you.

Logan and Buttercup

Randi
06-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Sorry to hear Pouncer is under the weather and the cost of the operation, but a lapcat is so much better than a laptop! ;)

Best wishes for Pouncer.

Laura's Babies
06-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Pouncer has to be as tired of this as you are, poor baby! :( That has to hurt or be terriably uncomfortable! Poor little boy! He sure will be in my prayers...

catmandu
06-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Pouncer Angel is rallying All of her Angel Friendsand we are all Praying that Little Pouncer will be All Right.
That Poor Little Tabby has been through an awful lot in the last few years and we are hoping that the Vet will hit on the right meds so Pouncer gets relief at last.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/PouncerFirstCat.jpg

Medusa
06-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Why does it have to be money up front? If you talk to your vet in advance, will s/he work w/you re payments? I sure hope Pouncer feels better soon. Sending lots of prayers his way.

moosmom
06-04-2007, 05:38 PM
:( Poor lil guy. Thoughts and prayers coming from Connecticut.

catnapper
06-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Well, I started him on Clavimox this afternoon and he's looking mighty pitiful tonight. If I didn't know any better I'd SWEAR he's playing the sickie role for affection. I swear this boy is eating up the attention, even enjoying being pilled.

Hubby made an astute observation this afternoon as well.... Pouncer has a habit of getting locked in the basement we have no idea HOW he gets locked in the basement but he manages to do so with incredible frequency. It seems he always gets sick a few days after being locked out. I'm guessing the stress of being locked out makes him sick? :confused:

He was locked in the basement twice this week alone; yesterday, Harry told us that Pouncer was locked in the basement. So I asked hubby if perhaps we should install a kitty door that lets him OUT of the basement but keeps them from going TO the basement. I keep a litterbox and water down there for him since he does happen to get locked down there a lot.

I'll be buying a cat door tomorrow (thank goodness I get 30% off at Petsmart tomorrow!) and I'll be buying another cat tree.... originally $140, on clearance for $65 and with my discount and coupons I'm getting it for $40. We also think he stresses when bullied out of the cat tree by one of the orange boys (who shall remain nameless) so we decided to get a second cat tree with plenty of shelves for everyone.

Boy, trying to figure out what stresses out Pouncer is stressing out ME! :eek: I really don't care about cost since he's definately worth it, but man, I'd like to catch my breath for a little while first!

Medusa
06-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Sounds like Pouncer is doing a good job of keeping you on your toes. I have a cat door that can go both ways or only in or out. But my cats hate it and refuse to use it. At first I thought they didn't know how so I started shoving all 8 of 'em (at that time) through the door. It made me laugh because I felt like I was making sausages and feeding meat through the casings. Anyhow, I've had it for 2 1/2 years and none of them have used it. I hope Pouncer figures it out. Good luck. :p

krazyaboutkatz
06-05-2007, 12:24 AM
I hope that Pouncer will feel better soon. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

jennielynn1970
06-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Awe, poor Pouncer. I can't believe that your vet wouldn't find a way to fit you in knowing how sick Pouncer gets so quickly! I hope he'll be ok until you can get the surgery for him.

About the cat door, I had one of those swingy doors on the covered litter boxes, and I thought that would work really well. Hmpf... They refused to use them!!! Either they didn't get the door, or they didn't like being "trapped" in there. Ended up just taking them off and going back to just the covered boxes with no swinging door.

catnapper
06-05-2007, 09:07 AM
My guys will quickly figure out the door thing. They figured out the cat excape through the baby gate without us showing them so they'll figure this one out.

I just spent $100 at Petsmart just on cat stuff! :eek: 2 huge bags of the Dr. Elsey litter, 1 cat post, 1 cat door, and 36 cans of wet food. Wow, that money sure went fast. ALL of it is in attempt to keep Pouncer healthy.
Good litter: less dusty, there for less risk of infection
Cat tree: more "beds" therefor no bullying
Cat Door: so he doesn't get locked in the basement
Wet Food: To ensure he gets enough water each day.
Pouncer, you are SO lucky you're loved! :p

Now off to photograph the approval committe with their new tree. Its HUGE in the house. I swore it was tiny in the store! :eek:

Medusa
06-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Doncha know all furniture grows 20% after you get it home? ;) Lucky Pouncer, though. I think I wanna come live at your house.

catnapper
06-05-2007, 07:10 PM
And tonight the straining begins :( He keeps looking for a place to pee and then scats when I get near. I cleaned out a litterbox and put all new litter in. I placed him in the box. He started to play in it and looked up at me as if to say "thanks mom for my new playground!". I'm wondering if I should give him a valium tonight to help relax him. :confused:

Poor Pouncer. I don't know what to do to help him. Do you think a kitty prozac will help him to remain calm in the next few months before I can get the money together for his surgery?

Catty1
06-05-2007, 07:18 PM
If you are going to wait, go to iMOM's financial aid page here and apply! you know when iMOM gets involved, so does PT!

http://www.imom.org/fa/

Can you call your vet and ask if Valium would help?

I hope the kitty door and destressing Pouncer will help...but only the vet and you can decide that, IMO.

phesina
06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm so sorry about poor Pouncer and his ailments. Prayers and good wishes are coming from all of us.

Hugs and purrs,
Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and Priscilla Angel

catnapper
06-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Update:
Pouncer spent the day at the vet. Apparently his last infection never cleared up completely and is raging out of control. He was sent home with double the dose of Clavimox (well, for twice as long). Good thing he's so good about pilling. He saw me cut the pill from the packet this morning. He saw me approach him while making happy feet on the bed, hunched down just a little, but accepted his fate. He is SO EASY to pill.

Annnnndddd.... I asked her if he'd benefit from something like Prozac to help him since he stresses at everything and she said he might be a good candidate for it. She said she doubts stress has anything to do with the infections..... I beg to differ - I KNOW my boy. I feel it in my gut that stress is his trigger. Can anybody tell me anything about stress and crystals or stress and UTIs?

Laura's Babies
06-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Stress effects everyone different. Having lived with IBS for most of my life, I found GOOD stress was just as bad on me as bad stress. (Yes, you can have good stress, excitement over a wonderful upcoming event and happy things can stress your body) So I would not dismiss the idea of stress being Pouncers trigger.

When I am terriably stressed I can't eat... maybe he can't drink when he is stressed? Maybe he can't use the litter box when he is stressed and holds it to long? Any number of things could be going on and I would not dismiss it even if the vet don't seem to understand. I think it is worth a try and see if that works.

mrspunkysmom
06-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Stress and extreme emotions can effect anything. My sinuses drain like crazy when I am stressed. My feet also itch. The immune response is slowed under stress.

I agree with Laura's babies. Give it a try and see.

Anne

Catty1
06-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Oscar is on Feliway for life because of idiopathic cystitis, a UTI caused by stress.

He is a happy boy - but had stress simply because a) he was wild for the first several years of his life, and b) got a new buddy, Cole.

His BEHAVIOUR was just fine - but his bladder showed the stress!

The vet wanted him on amitryptiline (Elavil). I asked about Feliway, as it is non-drug. The vet said ok. So now Oscar wears a nylon collar into which I put one small shot of Feliway am and pm.

"It is Dr. Buffington's belief that some cases of lower urinary tract disease in cats, cases in which a cause is difficult to pinpoint, are surprisingly close in symptoms to interstitial cystitis in people. Cats with idiopathic cystitis have increased frequency, pain, and urgency of urination. Affected cats resent being handled and resist the veterinarian's effort to palpate the abdomen during examination. An uncontrollable urgency to urinate may catch the cat off guard and at a distance from the litter box.

Buffington also says that stress plays a role in cats' urinary tract disease, which parallels stress related flareups in women.
"Flare ups of bladder problems in cats are often seen two to three days after stressful events, such as a move to a new house, the arrival or departure of house guests, holidays and vacations, weather changes and abrupt diet changes," (or Allen attacks, getting closed in basement - kitty door good idea)

krazyaboutkatz
06-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Kim, I'm kind of surprised that your vet didn't do a urine culture on him. Then she would be able to tell which antibiotic would work the best at treating his UTI. I know it takes about a week though before you'd get the results.

Stress can certainly be causing his problems. I'm still dealing with Storm's problems and he was at the vets again yesterday because he peed on my carpet and on a blue kitty place mat. I never saw him do this so I just had to guess which cat it was and I was right. He's now back on metacam to help pain and inflammation. They found some blood in his urine again but he had no stones,crystals or bacteria.

I contacted Nancy about this and she feels it's emotional and she got the feeling that he feels like he's being closed in or that there are too many cats. I hope that it's not a behavioral problem and that he's not too stressed out.

I sure hope that Pouncer's UTI clears up quickly and completely. Maybe he should go back again for another recheck a few weeks after he's finished with is meds. Please continue to keep us updated about him. I also wanted to let you know that if he does have the PU surgery that this won't prevent UTI's. He may actually have more of them since his opening would be larger like a females. Good luck and please take care. (((HUGS)))

Catty1
06-07-2007, 12:06 PM
I meant to add - Oscar's infection lasted about a month - blood in the urine. The vet showed me a sample after the infection was GONE, and I could see it.

He had a FEW crystals - but after being on the right food, they disappeared wiithin the first week.

Kim, de-stressing things for Pouncer - I think you are on the right track. It worked for my furbaby!

If a tranny or Feliway Collar will do the job - that will save the cost of the surgery. Talk to your vet - because the surgery won't eliminate stress for Pouncer.

Hope he feels better soon!

hugs to that pretty boy! :)

catnapper
06-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Kim,I'm kind of surprised that your vet didn't do a urine culture on him. )
She sent it off yesetrday :)

Anikaca77
06-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Awww..Poor Pouncer..I'm sure he appreciates everything you are doing for him. I hope they figure out something to help Pouncer. I know my one cat Anika can't stand Sebastian and she gets herself work up sometimes to the point where she is sorta coughing and I use to give her a pill valium I think and it helped her.

Good luck and I'll say a pray for Pouncer

rg_girlca
06-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Oh gosh Kim, I am so sorry to hear that Pouncer has another UTI.

Prayers on the way that he feels better soon and {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} for the stressed out meowmie.