PDA

View Full Version : What to do when we have the baby????

sparks19
06-03-2007, 07:40 PM
We are wondering what we should do with the dogs when we have the baby.

I am due September 23rd but I could be late or I could be early who knows lol. Do you get any signs that labour might be approaching soon?

We would like to take the dogs to the kennel but I don't want to take them too early and they end up having to stay for two weeks LOL. but then Brian doesn't want to leave me in labour to take the dogs to the kennel....

We don't really have any family or anything to look after the dogs for us while I am in the hospital either.

What did you do?

I am thinking we are just gonna have to suck it up and have brian leave to take them to the kennel after I get to the hospital.

What do you think?

joycenalex
06-03-2007, 09:13 PM
is brian gonna be at the hospital the whole time you and the baby are there? and both of your mothers won't be there for their grand childs birth? if they come, could they can do dog duty?

sparks19
06-03-2007, 09:47 PM
is brian gonna be at the hospital the whole time you and the baby are there? and both of your mothers won't be there for their grand childs birth? if they come, could they can do dog duty?

No our mothers both live 10+ hours and 14+ hours away. They won't be coming until baby and I are back home. And knowing my husband he will want to stay with me at the hospital the whole time lol. After the baby is born (as long as everything goes normally) I will only be at the hospital for a day. But I just don't want the dogs to have to be crated all day and then have an hour out and then be crated for hours and then have another hour out etc etc. I will feel terrible for them.

But I think I am going to ask our friend Margie (we rent her house and she is my boss) if she will stay over at the house while we are at the hospital. I thinkt hat is our best bet and she loves the dogs and they love her. She works from 10-8 running the shop but Brian will at least be able to come let the dogs out for a bathroom break and if she stays over night at least they will have the night time to stretch out and be free.

Marigold2
06-03-2007, 10:39 PM
If this is your first baby labor usually takes 12 hours. Plenty of time to take the dogs to the kennel. Don't you have any friends that can help or neighbors?

caseysmom
06-03-2007, 10:39 PM
My labor went on for a long time and my hubby was told to go home and rest, your hubby should be able to get away for short trips home if it takes too long.

Cincy'sMom
06-03-2007, 10:46 PM
My BIL and his wife just had their first child Friday morning, and he stayed at the hospital the whole time. THey left about 9 am Thursday morning. We let the dogs spend about 4 hours at our house Thursday night, then took them home to sleep in their own house. I let them out before work Friday morning, and then they came for a visit Friday night. Saturday morning, we let them out again, their dad came home fora few hours to feed them and get some fresh clothes, and then we stopped back after a wedding last night for one more outie before bed. Today, they spent about 4 hours here this morning, and now everyone is back home.

I would say even if your ferind could hcek in onthem a few times, or spend a couple hours with them, all should be fine.

catnapper
06-03-2007, 10:52 PM
We just went home, but then again the hospital is only a few blocks from the house. :p I took home the blanket Cameron was swaddled in so the cats and Nicki could smell his scent and recognise it when he came home.

Based on how Ashley was after Cameron was born, we all felt guilty being there and wanted to leave. We realized Ashley just squeezed out a human-being and was physically and emotionally beat... that she needed some quiet time and privacy to heal. We knew that with us being there that she'd feel compelled to talk and keep us company when she needed to rest. ton of coworkers and friends will be visiting you. So he should be able to go home with confidence knowing you're fine and not alone.

jackie
06-04-2007, 02:26 AM
I had a post ready in my head until I read this....

If this is your first baby labor usually takes 12 hours.

Now the only thought I have is "NO WAY."

Followed closely by "Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god."

BitsyNaceyDog
06-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Do you get any signs that labour might be approaching soon?
Everyone's different. My first sign was my water breaking. It was just shy of 13 hours from the time my water broke until Nathan was born.

I had a home birth so Justin was able to take care of the animals as usual. If I for some reason I would have had to go to the hospital we would have had my sister come and stay at our house.

When I worked at a pet boarding facility we often had dogs come in while their mommy was in the hospital giving birth. We made sure we had everything we needed in advance and then we just waited for that big call saying that the dogs mommy was in labor and it was time for the dogs to come to us. Then usually a friend or family member brought the dogs in. We always made sure we knew who was going to bring the dogs in and we made sure we had a way to contact them.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Do you get any signs that labour might be approaching soon?

doubled up in agony is always a good indication ;)

although as someone told me "it is a good pain" :eek:

caseysmom
06-04-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't even want to say how long my labors lasted lest I scare someone :D

sparks19
06-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Our neighbours are in their late 80's and don't like dogs lol so I don't think they will help. As for friends we don't really know a lot of people around this area.... and everyone we do know is also pregnant and due not to far away from my due date haha. I think my best bet is to ask margie if she will stay over night with the dogs so they don't have to be crated so much. All of our good friends live 45 minutes or so away. And if everything goes well during delivery and what not my hospital stay will only be one day after the baby is born so it is likely I will not have many visitors at the hospital. the hospital is about a half hour or so from the house.

yes Brian can come home to let them out.... but I don't want them to be crated 24/7 with only a quick break here and there to be out of the crates. if Margie stays over they can be free and roaming at night time and stretch out. but we are hoping to have a pen built in the basement for them by then so they won't have to stay in their little crates. So it probably won't be as bad for them.

but I know my husband lol..... he won't want to leave my side... ESPECIALLY while I am in labour. Even if I am sleeping he will want to sleep near me. So if he does come home to take the dogs out he wont be staying home for very long. But my main issue is not that they won't have bathroom breaks but more that if they have to be crated I don't want them stuck in their crates for hours and hours and hours with only a few minute break before being crated again for hours and hours and hours..

lizbud
06-04-2007, 11:59 AM
but I know my husband lol..... he won't want to leave my side... ESPECIALLY while I am in labour. Even if I am sleeping he will want to sleep near me. So if he does come home to take the dogs out he wont be staying home for very long.

LOL What did you threaten him with? :D I think now, most women only stay overnight the day of the delivery don't they? Hope all works out
great for all of you. :)

caseysmom
06-04-2007, 12:04 PM
I was in the hospital for 5 days because I had a complicated c section. My second was easy and I was home the next day. But...both labors lasted over 24 hours.

sparks19
06-04-2007, 12:14 PM
LOL What did you threaten him with? :D I think now, most women only stay overnight the day of the delivery don't they? Hope all works out
great for all of you. :)

I didn't threaten him :eek: ......

I drugged him ;) lol

I don't know how it works really.... we just got a pamphlet from the hospital with rates for one day or two day stays. Of course I am assuming the worst and that my labour is going to last forever even though it probably won't and I am just being paranoid. :D