PDA

View Full Version : Found Dog... Ruby's Been ADOPTED!

jackie
06-02-2007, 03:16 PM
When I was walking the dogs this afternoon along the golf course, I saw a SKINNY very frightened dog in the fenced-in maintenance area. I gave her the few cookies I had in my pocket and went to the golf club reception. They made a few calls to the maintenance man, and found our he has been giving her scraps for the last few days, and must have got closed in when he went home from work. I told them I would take her without thinking it through. They can't get into the compound until tomorrow morning, and I said I would pick her up at 8 am.

All I know she is very timid, and has been loose around the golf course a couple of days.

I went home and got dog kibble, water, and sliced turkey. She was so happy to have food, I don't know when she had the last proper meal, I can see all of her ribs and count the vertebrae in her spine. I feel sick with worry now, and I would love to take her in permanently, but I am struggling financially now, and having another dog would be a strain, but I feel so guilty. The non-kill shelter is full to capacity, and I can't leave her at the government one. This dog will not be adopted there.

I am going to pick her up tomorrow morning and keep her in the basement until I finish work tomorrow afternoon, then consider my options. I don't know why I am posting this, I just need someone sympathetic to vent to, and I certainly wont get it from my friends or family.

Alysser
06-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Aw, poor girl. From the sounds of it, this dog sounds like she has never had a decent home. Maybe you can foster her for awhile, place ads in the newspaper, etc. I hope you find some solution to this though. You're doing a great thing by allowing her into your home.

Kfamr
06-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Major kudos to you for stepping in when many wouldn't. You're a saint.

Do you know of anyone who would want a dog, and you could possibly foster her until she's healthy and place her in a home?

BC_MoM
06-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Poor dog. Kay's suggestion is a good one, maybe call up up a few rescues in your area and say if they take the dog into their program, you'd be more than happy to foster her.

Ginger's Mom
06-02-2007, 06:21 PM
You are Wonderful!!! Thank you for caring so much for this little girl. I will mention this on another site that has some international members, maybe they will be able to come up with some help or suggestions.

Pom mommy
06-02-2007, 08:39 PM
It's wonderful your saving her and hopefully something will work out so that you can keep her or you can find her a good home.

Your doing a very good thing!

I recently took in another cat in much the same circumstances. She was starving on the street and had an abscess on her back from a bite. We took her to the vet and had her treated and given her shots and tests. All the shelters are full here too and so I guess she'll stay with us now since we've become so attached to her...

Good Job..jackie

jackie
06-03-2007, 08:04 AM
OK, she is timid, but seems to be in ok condition except for being so underweight and a few cuts and abrasions.

Can I use Frontline flea pipettes made for CATS on her? She is flea ridden and I don't have any dog pipettes in the house. I bathed her and its not as bag as it was, I just don't want to infest the house.

joycenalex
06-03-2007, 08:23 AM
if that is what you've got, i'd say use that. better 2-3 cat sized tubes on a dog then fleas in the house and weeks of misery for all of you. good on you for helping her.

Alysser
06-03-2007, 09:38 AM
I would give that a try, it's better then nothing. It's always better to use a back up, though, if it doesn't work, buy a dog one.

crow_noir
06-04-2007, 01:38 AM
I'd be careful with cross-species use of Frontline. I know that the dog Frontline WILL KILL a cat.

OK, she is timid, but seems to be in ok condition except for being so underweight and a few cuts and abrasions.

Can I use Frontline flea pipettes made for CATS on her? She is flea ridden and I don't have any dog pipettes in the house. I bathed her and its not as bag as it was, I just don't want to infest the house.

jackie
06-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Hook, Line, Sinker...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p8009e524139f62d314c3a3ee5bd78d21/e93584d1.jpg

crow_noir
06-04-2007, 02:13 AM
OMG, she is so beautiful! (It doesn't hurt that she looks close to a dog i had in a vision when i woke up a couple weeks ago.)

Good thing you don't live close to me... I'd be wanting to take on another project. :D

Adding some healthy fattening and learning to trust is my specialty.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-04-2007, 03:49 AM
She is gorgeous - thank you for taking her in. Could you get a local pet store interested in "sponsoring" her upkeep until she is found a new home - good publicity for them....

Ginger's Mom
06-04-2007, 12:12 PM
She is beautiful. And how clever of her to have found the best spot in the house already.

jackie
06-06-2007, 09:37 AM
OK, Ruby is still here...

I have reserved her a place in a rescue program! Yay.

The woman who runs it is on holiday at the moment, and they will not excepting any new dogs until she comes back, which will be between one week/one month. Its a bit more of a wait then I wanted, but I am so thrilled to be getting her into the rescue I wanted. :)

This woman works together with shelters in Germany, Austria, and Holland, and ends up shipping most of the dogs (and cats) to new homes in these countries. She is really careful witht he screening, and will try her best to match each owner and pup to each other.

I am just so happy now!

cassiesmom
06-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Jackie, how is she doing? Is she eating? Were you able to get the proper flea treatment for her? I like her very long tail!

Kfamr
06-06-2007, 11:55 AM
She is precious. What do your furkids think of her?

I'm so glad you were able to help her and find a suitable rescue. :D

joycenalex
06-06-2007, 03:50 PM
jackie, how did you come to call such an elegant dog by the lovely name of ruby? has she wiggled into your heart? hmmm... :)

ramanth
06-06-2007, 11:02 PM
What a beautiful girl! And congrats on finding a rescue to sponser her. :) I hope she finds a new home soon. :)

K9karen
06-06-2007, 11:59 PM
How wonderful! "Ruby" fits her to a "T". You're so sweet and compassionate. Hmmmm..one month is long enough for a mind change! ;)

BTW..I don't think flea meds are safe if you cross breed.

cyber-sibes
06-07-2007, 10:54 AM
She's beautiful! I love the name Ruby, it sounds precious. It's also my birthstone. It's wonderful you found a rescue to help her find a furever home, and you are wonderful for taking the time & careing enough to help this girl out.

lizbud
06-07-2007, 11:04 AM
You have certainly earned stars in your heavenly crown for helping
Ruby find a loving home. :) She's a lucky pup for sure. :)

pitc9
06-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Yippeee!
How wonderful that you saved her!

jackie
06-08-2007, 01:25 PM
We just got back from the vets. Ruby tested positive for heartworms, and we are going to start her treatment immediately. I have to give her aspirin for 20 days then start with the injections and keep her confined in a crate.

I got a call back from another rescue, one that seemed a bit more interested in working with me and placing Ruby in a home on the island. Her requisite was that Ruby have all her injections, rabies vaccine, microchip, etc before putting her in the kennels. I haven't told her that Ruby tested positive, I left a message on her machine and am waiting for her to get back to me. All the treatments that Ruby needed were going to be covered by her and her organization, but not so sure now that she has heartworms. I am willing to cover the treatment myself, but I hope she chip in a portion of it.

Keep your fingers crossed for me and Ruby please.

jackie
06-08-2007, 01:28 PM
P.S. Bobo, Tito, and Ruby are wrestling on the sofa behind me as we speak.

She doesn't really like to go outside for long periods, she is very timid of strangers in the street, but in the house she likes pretty much everyone.

Ruby is turning into a very happy and playful girl which is a huge change. :)

jackie
06-08-2007, 03:25 PM
I have changed the title of this thread to "Ruby's Updates" so I can post about her progress here.

joycenalex
06-08-2007, 03:36 PM
...and has she yet wiggled herself into your home???? ;)

Freedom
06-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Oh how SWEET she is!!! And how wonderful of you to lend her a helping hand. Sounds liek she's been a home pet in the past; and knows the outdoors is a "bad" thing, poor dear.

Best wishes to all!

lizbud
06-08-2007, 04:32 PM
I am so happy that you will help Ruby get the treatment she needs.
Sounds like she thinks she's gone to heaven already. A good home & pals
to play with. Prayers that Ruby does well on the heartworm treatment.

Dukedogsmom went through the treatment with Dasher & now he's
doing wonderfully.

crow_noir
06-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Oh no... Poor Ruby! I'll be hoping you get the help you need with her.

Glad to hear that she's adjusting to a home life! :D

BC_MoM
06-09-2007, 01:21 PM
I have to give her aspirin for 20 days

Aspirin?! All the experiences I've had with dogs having aspirin have been horrible. My vet would NEVER let you give aspirin to any dog. It's terrible for their body.

Could you please explain?

jackie
06-09-2007, 04:05 PM
I am not sure, but the vet said to give her 1/4th of an Aspirin everyday.

I assume it is to thin her blood out before the filiaria treatment?

I am going back on Tuesday, I am going to speak to the vet about the Aspirin then. Why are the mal effects of aspirin on a dog please?

lizbud
06-09-2007, 04:20 PM
1/4 of a childrens aspirin wouldn't have any bad effects that I've
ever heard. :confused: Large doses of aspirin could upset the stomach.

Ginger's Mom
06-10-2007, 06:32 AM
I am glad to hear that the boys are helping you to make Ruby feel at home. :D You really have been hero for her. I have a vague recollection that aspirin is one of the few pain relievers that is safe for dogs. Thank you again for helping this girl, and I will keep checking for updates.

lute
06-10-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm so glad you saved Ruby! I know Ruby is glad you saved her too! She is so unique and adorable looking! Good luck Ruby and yourself with her HW treatment and finding a forever home!

You might not get any kudos or good words about what you are doing from your family or friends, but what you are doing for Ruby is just wonderful! Hopefully after she's all healthy, at a happier wieght and ina good home they'll see what a great thing you did. My parents are never happy to see me bring home a homeless dog, but when they are sitting tight in their new homes they are always proud of me.

jackie
07-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi all!

Haven't been online for ages, and life sometimes seems to get in the way of my posting. :p

Ruby has been adopted!!!!!

A woman who's podenco was stolen came to see if Ruby was her dog about a week after I found her. Unfortunately she still hasn't recovered her dog, but she fell in love and last week officially adopted her. :)

I am very happy and Ruby sailed through her heart worm treatments. She is still going to need a lot of behavioral work, but a loving home is the first step in the right direction!

ramanth
07-13-2007, 09:49 AM
What wonderful news!! Yay for Ruby! :D

crow_noir
07-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Yay Ruby!!! :D

Thank you so VERY much Jackie for saving her.

Karen
07-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks so much not only for saving Ruby, but for updating us - sounds like the perfect happy ending!

joycenalex
07-15-2007, 06:46 PM
what a blessing you've been for her. thanks for sharing happy news

jackie
01-11-2008, 08:39 PM
The woman who adopted Ruby originally decided she was just too much work and returned her to the society. :( I suppose better sooner then later though.

The organization managed to have her placed in a podenco rescue in Austria (my girl is precious cargo :P) and shipped her over there about a month ago. From all accounts she seems to be doing well there and is awaiting adoption.

Here is the link for here page and the rescue site. Ruby (http://www.windhunde-in-not.at/adoption40/adoption40.html)