PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Feet (been wondering)

Kalei
06-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I've been wondering this since I was a kid. Do they chop off rabbits feet when they are still alive? Do they kill rabbits to take their feet? Or wait till rabbits die naturally? I've always wondering what they do, the poor bunnies.

And has anyone seen a vendor with rabbit's feet in it lately, I haven't seen them since I was little which is good. Hopefully they banned them.

Also do you agree or disagree with rabbit's feet?

I disagree of course!

Kalei
06-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Sorry Whisk_luva :o I noticed that when I went to answer my own poll and then I started freaking out lol. But I deleted it and made a new one:)

Whisk_Luva
06-02-2007, 10:34 AM
LOL! Ok! I disagree.

Miss Z
06-02-2007, 11:12 AM
I was always under the impression that the feet were removed from slaughtered rabbits in the meat trade, but I could be wrong, and no doubt it's been practiced on living rabbits too. I disagree with killing or mutilating of any kind.

It's merely an old wives tail that a foot can bring you luck. Working hard and being good to others, now that's something that brings luck. ;)

Genny
06-02-2007, 01:46 PM
:( I TOTALLY disagree with it; it's so sad! :(

Chilli
06-02-2007, 03:52 PM
I strongly disagree with it, like Zara said, mutilation of any kind is absolutely uncalled for. You don't need a dead animal's foot to bring you good luck.

Kfamr
06-02-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't agree with it and I can't see how someone would WANT to carry around something like that? :confused: I understand they think it brings them luck, however, it's just creepy.

Rabbits have 4 feet and they all got chopped off for keychains, so obviously they aren't all that lucky.

TamanduaGirl
06-02-2007, 04:07 PM
I like to eat rabbit and think it's nice that nothing gets waisted that way. The other waist often goes into dog food and the fur gets sold for coats and things.

Kalei
06-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Has anyone seen them still being sold to this day?

Twisterdog
06-02-2007, 11:01 PM
It would be my guess that the feet are removed from rabbits who are killed for the fur trade.

I can't imagine that it would be profitable to raise rabbits to adulthood for ONLY their feet. What would someone get for selling a rabbit's foot to be made into a keychain? A dime maybe? The whole keychain, after dying the fur, preserving the foot, attaching the hardware, etc., sells for only a couple dollars. So I can't imagine them paying more than a few cents for an unprocessed foot. So, there has got to be more sold then JUST the feet - no one can raise a rabbit to adulthood for five cents of cost.

I don't wear fur, and I don't carry rabbit's foot keychains. It would creep me out. But, I suppose, if you are already killing the animal for meat or fur, you might as well use all the parts you can, and not waste anything. Using the rabbit's feet for keychains is no different from using the cow's skin for leather shoes, I guess.

Kalei
06-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks for your imput everyone:D It's appreciate it, I'm still wondering though if anyone has seen rabbit's feet being sold anymore. I haven't seen them being sold since I was a kid.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-04-2007, 10:47 AM
They should only be sold if they are still firmly attached to a live, healthy and happy bunny