PDA

View Full Version : Job

slleipnir
07-16-2002, 01:08 PM
Bah..looking for a job when what you want to do is working at one of the 3 pets stores on the Island is hard..LOL I want to work with animals anyway, and I decides to start with the pet stores..2 of the 3 aren't hiring right now, and one might be? So I left my resumes and am HOPING I'll get a job there..if not, its bad to the drawing board..lmao. All my friends like their jobs are burger joints..but I'm not to much of a people person, and all I really want to do is work with animals. I've settled with non-animal related things in the past, so I decided to give it a try. My whole resume is basically animal related except one or two things (I hope that works for me..lol) Does anyone else know of anything else I could do for work thats animal related?? Thanks :D

lovemymaltese
07-16-2002, 01:55 PM
I know of places that you could volunteer, like animal shelters. Some vets offices hire assistants (they weigh animals, take temperature, etc). Good luck! I have worked at a pet store before, I loved it, but it went out of buisness.

AmberLee
07-16-2002, 02:08 PM
Summer's usually a busy vacation time. Had you thought about starting your own pet sitting, dog walking business for neighbors on vacation? (Or do you need work credit towards graduation?)

Are there any stables that might be hiring near you?

slleipnir
07-16-2002, 02:45 PM
I don't really want to volenteer this summer. I really need the money. I'm saving to do some travelling before I go to university. Most Vets around here don't need help for that sort of thing :[
Yes, there is stables, the one I know about/use to ride at the guy doesn't really have the money to pay anyone. Usually he gets help from volenteers or something he can trade stuff for. I assume he does have some people working for him, but I think its mostly him and his wife.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-18-2002, 11:57 AM
You mention you live on an island? If it's a touristy type place maybe there are campgrounds around or hotels. You might put a little flyer together that you would pet-sit for people in the campground or hotel. I know a lot of campgrounds don't allow pets to be left in campers while the people are gone, so even if it's only an hour or two so the people don't feel guilty leaving their pets while they go see the local sites. This is just an idea and you might want to check with any local campgrounds to see what they think of the idea before actually implementing it. However, always get permission from the campground or hotel first before distributing any flyers or anything or you might get off on a bad foot with the campground which would defeat your purpose totally. You might want to check with the local vets also for any recommendations on pet-sitting. They may have gotten some inquiries from customers. Good Luck!!!

Cincy'sMom
07-18-2002, 01:36 PM
Pet sitting/Dog walking may be a good way to go. I don't know what you may resonaablly be able to charge there, but here when I was looking for a sitter for the girls people were asking $15-20 /day If you could offer the option of keeping the people's pets at their home and add in water plants, getting mail etc, you may make some good money and not have to add the extra stree to your family/dogs of having the other dogs in your home.

Good Luck!