PDA

View Full Version : The great mystery thread - post yours here!

JenBKR
06-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Ok I found a another one...here goes....

Greta is found on the lawn in her Seattle backyard- strangled to death. The police question her three boyfriends. The grass under her body is dry- and it hadn't rained for two days. The body was found at 8 a.m. Suspect 1 says- 'I phoned Greta this morning. She said her date last night was scary.'
Suspect 2 says- 'After our dinner last night- I dropped Greta off at around 9 p.m.'
Suspect 3 says- 'Greta and I haven't spoken in a week. She didn't want to see me any more.'

So...who did it?

catnapper
06-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Hmmmm.... suspect one. Only because even though there was no rain there shold be some morning dew on the grass? So she was there during the night. He couldn't have phoned her in the morning.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Was it OJ?

Marigold2
06-01-2007, 05:20 PM
LOL LOL It was it was.
Was it OJ?

Freedom
06-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Her sister. Greta had THREE boyfriends??? What sister is going to tolerate THAT?!

jackie
06-02-2007, 06:25 AM
I think number one.

Alysser
06-02-2007, 06:40 AM
I am almost postive it is number 1. If she was found at 8 a.m he couldn't have called her in the morning. That was basically a confession. :p

JenBKR
06-02-2007, 08:13 AM
hmm great answers, I think perhaps it WAS O.J. - maybe he'll write a book ;)

But....

Hmmmm.... suspect one. Only because even though there was no rain there shold be some morning dew on the grass? So she was there during the night. He couldn't have phoned her in the morning.

correct! woohoo I should have another one for you shortly. If anyone else has any mysteries/riddles post them here (I love these things). :)

JenBKR
06-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Ok here's a new one:

Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice all live in the same house. Bob and Carol go out to a movie, and when they return, Alice is lying dead on the floor in a puddle of water and glass. It is obvious that Ted killed her but Ted is not prosecuted or severely punished. Why not?

Whisk_Luva
06-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Because Ted is a animal? I dunno. Maybe Ted is a cat or a dog? and Alice a fish? Or a frog? Yes! Ted is a cat and Alice is a fish! That is why there is water and glass?

Am I right? Or has my brain just gone wild?

Whisk_Luva
06-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Well here is another one anyway:

A woman has proof in court that her husband was
murdered by her sister. The judge declares, "This is the oddest case
I've ever seen." Though it's a fact the sister killed him, this murderess cannot
be punished, why?

JenBKR
06-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Because Ted is a animal? I dunno. Maybe Ted is a cat or a dog? and Alice a fish? Or a frog? Yes! Ted is a cat and Alice is a fish! That is why there is water and glass?

Am I right? Or has my brain just gone wild?

Correct! Ted is a cat and Alice is a fish - good job!

Whisk_Luva
06-02-2007, 10:52 AM
YAY! I havent gone insane lol!

JenBKR
06-02-2007, 11:08 AM

I've ever seen." Though it's a fact the sister killed him, this murderess cannot
be punished, why?

I think I heard this one before, so I'll leave it for someone else ;)

JenBKR
06-04-2007, 12:29 PM
*bump* to see if anyone wants to try the latest mystery question. :D

Blue_Frog
06-04-2007, 12:43 PM

be punished, why?

Is it because they were identical twins? I think even the DNA is the same in that situation? Dunno otherwise :)

Whisk_Luva
06-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Is it because they were identical twins? I think even the DNA is the same in that situation? Dunno otherwise

Kind of...... your getting there.

Blue_Frog
06-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Kind of...... your getting there.

Are they Conjoined (siamese) twins?

Whisk_Luva
06-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Yep :D Well done :D

JenBKR
06-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Here's another one!

Two children born in the same hospital, in the same hour, day, and year, have the same mother and father, but are not twins.

Whisk_Luva
06-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Oh um..... are they like 2 babies out of triplets or sumthing?

JenBKR
06-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Oh um..... are they like 2 babies out of triplets or sumthing?

yeppers!

JenBKR
06-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Ok here's a new one:

Each Friday- a stranger calls Tom with a hot tip for Saturday's race. Each week for three weeks the horse wins. Tom is being conned. How?

Clue 1: The phone call comes the day before the race.

Clue 2: On week four- the stranger asks for money before giving his tip.

Clue 3: Each race has seven horses entered- and Tom's previous wins were luck.

Clue 4: The stranger began his con game by calling 343 different people.

Blue_Frog
06-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I think it all has to do with math --- so like, 7 horses to a race, and since there were 3 races -- well, thats possibly 7x7x7 = 343 possible combinations of winning horses....

So,
Race 1 Race 2 Race 3
Horse #1 Horse #1 Horse #1 ==> combo 1
Horse #1 Horse #1 Horse #2 ==> combo 2
Horse #7 Horse #7 Horse #6 ==> combo 342
Horse #7 Horse #7 Horse #7 ==> combo 343

So, i guess if the con man charted all this out, and then called 343 different people, he'd start out with 343 people (49 people for each horse, 7 horses) on the first race with all combos, and the drop all the people with the wrong bets.

Then, for race #2, he'd be down to 49 people to call (7 people for each horse, 7 horses), and then drop all the losers from that race.

For the 3rd race, he'd only have called 7 people, and kept the 'winner' -- so in this case Tom.

stupid math :P

JenBKR
06-05-2007, 12:44 PM
I think it all has to do with math --- so like, 7 horses to a race, and since there were 3 races -- well, thats possibly 7x7x7 = 343 possible combinations of winning horses....

So,
Race 1 Race 2 Race 3
Horse #1 Horse #1 Horse #1 ==> combo 1
Horse #1 Horse #1 Horse #2 ==> combo 2
Horse #7 Horse #7 Horse #6 ==> combo 342
Horse #7 Horse #7 Horse #7 ==> combo 343

So, i guess if the con man charted all this out, and then called 343 different people, he'd start out with 343 people (49 people for each horse, 7 horses) on the first race with all combos, and the drop all the people with the wrong bets.

Then, for race #2, he'd be down to 49 people to call (7 people for each horse, 7 horses), and then drop all the losers from that race.

For the 3rd race, he'd only have called 7 people, and kept the 'winner' -- so in this case Tom.

stupid math :P

Alright, I admit....I am impressed! I did not get this one....I figured it was something like that, but I didn't want to do the math ;) So you would be correct!

Blue_Frog
06-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Alright, I admit....I am impressed! I did not get this one....I figured it was something like that, but I didn't want to do the math ;) So you would be correct!
SCHWEET! I actually remembered something from High School Math! ;)

OK, a couple more then ...

1. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Being an astute observer, he picks one door and lives.

2. A black dog stands at a crossroads in a totally black-painted town. The power has gone out and all of the streetlights are off. There is no moon. A black-painted car without headlights drives straight toward him, but turns in time and doesn't hit him.

3. A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?

JenBKR
06-05-2007, 01:13 PM
1. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Being an astute observer, he picks one door and lives.

Ok I'll try this one first...I am thinking that since the lions haven't eaten in three years, they would probably be dead. So he chose #3?

Blue_Frog
06-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Ok I'll try this one first...I am thinking that since the lions haven't eaten in three years, they would probably be dead. So he chose #3?
Yeppers!

Kfamr
06-05-2007, 01:19 PM
#3 -- She was taking his picture. ;)

Blue_Frog
06-05-2007, 01:26 PM
#3 -- She was taking his picture. ;)
Also correct!

Whisk_Luva
06-05-2007, 02:14 PM
A black dog stands at a crossroads in a totally black-painted town. The power has gone out and all of the streetlights are off. There is no moon. A black-painted car without headlights drives straight toward him, but turns in time and doesn't hit him.

Its daytime?

Karen
06-05-2007, 02:46 PM
3. A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?

She's a photographer!

Blue_Frog
06-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Whisk_Luva and Karen -- Both answers are the right ones :)

That exhausts my list of puzzles for the moment :)

JenBKR
06-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Ok here's another!

Stan Dell- a teacher- pleads guilty to a rash of vandalism at his own high school. What's the story?

Clue 1: Stan was caught destroying the Physics Club's entry in the state finals.

Clue 2: A gang of teenagers did all the break-ins except the last, but Stan took the blame

Clue 3: Stan- the Physics Club advisor- was scheduled to go to the finals. They canceled the trip.

Clue 4: Stan's resume includes a stint as president of the State Physics Society.

JenBKR
06-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Have I stumped you all? :p

Pawsitive Thinking
06-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Stan is insane?

JenBKR
06-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Stan is insane?

hmm well now that could be - of course so am I so it's hard to tell ;)

Ok I will give another hint.......Stan is a liar.....

JenBKR
06-07-2007, 01:18 PM
well in case anyone is interested, here is the solution: :)

Stan lied on his resume and couldn't risk anyone going to the finals. He took advantage of the previous vandalism to break in and destroy the club's project.

Killearn Kitties
06-07-2007, 05:51 PM
That was just too hard Jen!

Blue_Frog
06-07-2007, 10:40 PM
How far can the dog run into the woods?
Half way? Because then hes running out the other side?

Otherwise, I'd say until he runs a-foul of the dog catcher ;)

Blue_Frog
06-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Schweet! I'm surprised my brain is working at all tonite!

Now, the only mystery I can think of offhand is where exactly I put my other baseball hat, but i'm not sure anyone can help me with that one. Oh wait, mystery solved -- I blame the ferret ;)

OK, after wracking my brains, heres the best I can come up with at this time of nite ...

A triangle is made up of 3 sides, and 3 angles -- the angles total 180°. This means that if you have, lets say, a right angle triangle, one angle would equal 45° <edit - meant 90°, thanks LH>, but the other 2 would not be.

An Equilateral Triangle is a triangle where all three sides are the same length. This means that the angles will also be equal – all 60° - making the triangle equiangular as well.

What is one example of a situation where you could have an Equilateral triangle made up of 3-right (45°) angles?

edit: should not be allowed to try and think after midnight.

Lady's Human
06-07-2007, 11:14 PM
A right angle is 90 degrees, not 45.

As three 90 degree angles would be a 270 degree triangle, it is mathematically impossible.

JenBKR
06-08-2007, 07:37 AM
:eek: math :eek:

Blue_Frog
06-08-2007, 08:40 AM
A right angle is 90 degrees, not 45.

As three 90 degree angles would be a 270 degree triangle, it is mathematically impossible.

See what happens when I try to think at Midnight? :p I break both my own brain, and the brains of the people around me *lol*

--- Sorry. So, in what situation could you have a triangle made up of 3 x 90degree angles?

Lady's Human
06-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Assuming that you are referring to a closed polygon made up of three intersecting sides on a flat plane, you can't.

Blue_Frog
06-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Assuming that you are referring to a closed polygon made up of three intersecting sides on a flat plane, you can't.
Ahh... but I never indicated flat plane did I? ;)

Blue_Frog
06-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Since math likely isn't my strong point, and I shouldn't try to me SMRT with math-like problems (and I more than likely fudged up what i was trying to say before) heres a couple more to try -- a Mystery and a Puzzle

Mystery #1: A man marries twenty women in his village but isn't charged with polygamy.

Mystery #2: A man rides into town on Friday. He stays three nights and leaves on Friday.

Puzzle #1: Connect all 9 dots, using only 4 straight lines.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/bluefrog_ca/dots.jpg

Pawsitive Thinking
06-08-2007, 09:43 AM
1. He is the vicar
2. Friday is the name of his horse and I gave up after that

Blue_Frog
06-08-2007, 09:52 AM
1. He is the vicar
2. Friday is the name of his horse and I gave up after that
+2 points for you! You get to find the next one ;)

Blue_Frog
06-08-2007, 11:36 AM
I know the solution for the dots as I use it in training to encourage people to ....think outside the box...
*lol* great clue ;)

Heres a couple more that i ran across --
1. What gets wetter and wetter, the more it dries?

2. Give me food, and I will live; give me water, and I will die. What am I?

3. The beginning of eternity, The end of time and space, The beginning of every end, And the end of every place.

cmayer31
06-08-2007, 11:45 AM
*lol* great clue ;)

Heres a couple more that i ran across --
1. What gets wetter and wetter, the more it dries?

2. Give me food, and I will live; give me water, and I will die. What am I?

3. The beginning of eternity, The end of time and space, The beginning of every end, And the end of every place.

1. A towel :D
2. A fire :)
3. I like the third one and I'm not sure that I want to give it away. I saw the answer in a letter once. ;)

Whisk_Luva
06-08-2007, 11:47 AM
3: The letter E

Blue_Frog
06-08-2007, 12:56 PM
. A towel :D
2. A fire :)
3. I like the third one and I'm not sure that I want to give it away. I saw the answer in a letter once. ;)

3: The letter E

Well, you guys got all 3 of the last puzzles -- too quick for me. The only ones I had left, are the right-angle-triangle puzzle, and the dots puzzle.

Otherwise, its someone else's turn to post another mystery/puzzle!

:)

cmayer31
06-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Here are a couple quick ones:

1. I travel all over the world by land, sea, and air, but I always stay in the corner. What am I?

2. Poor people have it,
Rich people need it,
And if you eat or drink it, you will die.

What is it?

JenBKR
06-08-2007, 03:50 PM
2. Poor people have it,
Rich people need it,
And if you eat or drink it, you will die.

What is it?

Nothing?

cmayer31
06-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Nothing?

Yup :)

Blue_Frog
06-08-2007, 04:34 PM
I know the answer to the 'travel around the world' one -- but someone else can give it a shot so I wont give it away :)

Ok, for anyone interested, the answers to the triangle and dots:

1. Triangle made up of 3 right angles: If you lay out the triangle on a sphere instead of on a flat plane. Heres an exmaple:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/bluefrog_ca/sphere.jpg

Also see here for a better explanation -
http://torus.math.uiuc.edu/jms/java/dragsphere/

2. Using 4 straight lines to cross through 9 dots:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/bluefrog_ca/dots-2.jpg

'Think outside the box' was the best way to describe this one.

JenBKR
06-11-2007, 10:18 AM
1. I travel all over the world by land, sea, and air, but I always stay in the corner. What am I?

A stamp

Roxyluvsme13
06-11-2007, 01:41 PM
You guys are smart, I feel stupid :p.

cmayer31
06-11-2007, 09:16 PM
A stamp

Yep! I can't think of any right off the top of my head. Someone else needs to come up with one. :)