PDA

View Full Version : Nikki and Camping - Help!!!

BoxerLover
07-16-2002, 11:53 AM
Hello everyone! Havent been here in a while, i need some help with Nikki! Ok, we're going camping up in Manastee this August, and we're bringing Nikki. The camp sites are not right next to each other, but i'm sure Nikki could get to one very easily. Our neighbor camp sites are within sight of us. How do i keep Nikki in our area? Do i use a dog tie out? Won't that get in the way? And when we go to the beach, how do i let her play in the water without letting her run away? i want to let her swim freely, but when she gets out, won't she take off? If you have any advice, please reply! :)

Dixieland Dancer
07-16-2002, 12:16 PM
How old is Nikki? Does she have any obedience training? I would definitely use a tie out of some sort at the camp site because you don't want to have to hold a leash all the time and most campgrounds have no pets off leash rules.

ramanth
07-16-2002, 12:28 PM
Welcome Back Boxer Lover!

I took Kia camping last summer at Port Austin State Park in Port Austin, MI. She had to be tied up or on a leash at all times and you have to clean up after your pooch. Most State Parks/Campgrounds provide poop bags up near the Office, but take some of your own just in case.

Nearly all State Park/Campgrounds I have been too have the rule that the dog must be tied up or on a leash at all times.

The same for private campgrounds that I've been too. Check with the office first.

I purchased a 30 foot lead for Kia. That way, when I take her camping and swimming, she has a little more room to roam.

Have fun!

lovemymaltese
07-16-2002, 12:43 PM
Yeah, bring a long leash so that she can be outside with ya'll and see everything that ya'll are doing, yet she will be safe.

Cincy'sMom
07-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Although we haven't gone camping, we got 30 ft leads fir the girls for when we took them to my friends pond, as they do not have a fenced in yard. Worked out well...gave the girls enough room to raom so they didn't feel trapped, yet we could easily keep track of them. I have also seen 50 ft leads for not too much more ( I think we payed ~$15 or $20 for each lead)

Karen
07-16-2002, 06:34 PM
Absolutely keep her on a tie-out or a leash at all times. She is in an unfamiliar area, with strange creatures and strange noises, and if she gets startled, or just plain interested, and runs, you may never find each other again. It's not worth the risk. Just choose where to put the tie-out where it won't get tangled or interfere with the activities at the campsite (as in, don't put it where it will trip you every time you leave the tent!), and everybody will be safe and sure to come home!

shais_mom
07-16-2002, 07:03 PM
Definatley get a couple tie-outs. I would get a shorter one for at the campsite. Maybe 10-15 ft. And a 30-50 ft one for swimming at the beach etc.
I wouldn't keep her tied out on the long one b/c she definately would get in the way and could hurt herself. They told me that greyhounds weren't allowed to be tied out b/c they run so fast so quickly they break their necks. Shaianne had a short leah no more than 15 ft and knew her boundaries so she was alright. I know Nikki is boxer but with 30-50 feet to run she could hurt herself.
I would definately take a bunch of grocery/WalMart bags for easy clean-up. Of Course whenever you go shopping you have your own free poop-bag!!

sottice
07-16-2002, 07:43 PM
Hi,
Hope you have a wonderful trip. I agree with everybody else. Tie outs and leashes are the only way to go. I work in law enforcement and I can't tell you how many people that are passing through town, or camped in the area, lose their cat or dog because they were not on a lead or leash. You are just asking for heart break if you don't use them.

Teresa

NICOLE
07-17-2002, 01:51 PM
HI,I NEED TO KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO WHEN
MY DAD LEAVES.ROMEO CRES 4 AT
LEAST 20 MINS.WHAT SHOULD I DO?

ramanth
07-17-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by NICOLE
HI,I NEED TO KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO WHEN
MY DAD LEAVES.ROMEO CRES 4 AT
LEAST 20 MINS.WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Hi Nicole! Welcome to Pet Talk!

Try starting a new topic with this question. Some people may not look in this topic and see it.

Is Romeo a puppy?

BoxerLover
07-17-2002, 07:12 PM
ok thanx you all! i was definately planning on using a tie out on Nikki. hopefully we wont trip on it!! i dont want her to hurt her neck on a tie out at the beach, should i use a harness? what about a retractable leash for when shes in the water with us?

sottice
07-17-2002, 07:51 PM
I think a harness is a wonderful idea. That's what I use with my poodle, because a collar seems to bother him.