PDA

View Full Version : Cop Breathes Life Into Stricken Dog

TheAntiPam
07-16-2002, 11:33 AM
Tue Jul 16, 9:53 AM ET

WEST BRIDGEWATER, Mass. (Reuters) - A police officer brought a stricken dog back to life by performing mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on her furry muzzle after she was hit by a car, the officer said on Monday.

Patrolman Thomas Richmond said Cinnamon the pit bull terrier was technically dead and her owner was "hysterical" when he arrived at the scene of the accident last Wednesday.

"She had been hit in the chest area. All four of her legs went out and her heart was not beating. She was dead," the officer told Reuters.

Richmond, who owns a dog himself, immediately started to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on the lifeless pooch, alternately pressing on her chest and breathing into her muzzle.

"It took me seven or eight tries but to my amazement, she opened her eyes and started breathing," he said, adding that he then transported Cinnamon to a local animal hospital.

"She's fine. She has some nerve damage but no broken bones. It's a miracle," he said.

------------------------------

Hurray for the life-saving heroes of the world!

sammi
07-16-2002, 01:53 PM
That was a happy ending story!

lovemymaltese
07-16-2002, 01:59 PM
What a happy story, I loved the ending. These are the moments that we all love to hear about. Thanks for sharing.

Sudilar
07-16-2002, 02:33 PM
Wonderful! How many people would have done that for this poor animal?? He is a hero.

ramanth
07-16-2002, 02:41 PM
WOOHOOO!!! Way to go Officer Richmond!! :D

pupper-lover
07-16-2002, 03:00 PM
Yeah! It great to hear a happy story, especially one involving a pit bull! :D I hope that pup is okay.

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-16-2002, 04:10 PM
YAY!!! AND NO BROKEN BONES!!!
WHAT A LUCKY PUPPY AND A HERO FOR AN OFFICER!!!:D
THANKS FOR SHARING THAT STORY!! :)

Rottieluver45
07-16-2002, 05:48 PM
Wow!!!:eek: What a lucky pup!!

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-16-2002, 05:54 PM
Great story!

Back in February, I took a Canine CPR and First Aid Certification class. Some of my coworkers and friends laughed at me for doing so. I was the only participant that wasn't a vet tech or canine officer. I have my certification now. I hope I never have to use it, but if I ever need to, you bet I would!

Way to Go, Officer Richmond!

delidog
07-16-2002, 07:46 PM
wow!!! great story...its' great to hear a good one!!!!!!
it rejuvinates your hope in people!!!!

Drakes' mom...where did you find a course like that??? a local vet, perhaps???? shelter???
its' a great idea....i would like to find one down here to attend!!

mugsy
07-16-2002, 09:48 PM
Another hero!! Way to go Officer Richmond!!! Souraya, I'd be interested too on where to get that training. Weird that Mike and I were just talking about that very thing Saturday on the way home from South Bend.

mugsy
07-16-2002, 10:06 PM
Hey, I went out and found the West Bridgeport Police's website and email so if anyone wants to email Officer Richmond here's the address: [email protected] . I already emailed them.

krazyaboutkatz
07-17-2002, 12:00 AM
What a great story. I'm so glad that it had a happy ending. :)

Ann
07-17-2002, 04:25 AM
Thanks for sharing that great story! What a wonderful cop :)

Souraya, I wish they had courses like that in Sweden! I'd take it for sure!

purrley
07-17-2002, 08:12 AM
I love stories like this. It helps restore my faith in human kind knowing there are people like that out there. God Bless this person. Imagine how wonderful the world would be if we were all like that.

mugsy
07-17-2002, 09:11 PM
I got a reply back from the police department and said that Officer Richmond would be notified of the email. I hope he likes it because I sure like what he did,

gini
07-17-2002, 10:49 PM
I took the time to email Officer Richmond, and Purrley, I used your words. Yes, it would be a wonderful world if there were more people like this officer. I can just imagine how grateful the owner of the dog must be.

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-18-2002, 06:27 AM
The Cannine CPR class I took was offered by the Red Cross and University of GA Veterinary School.

I found out about it through my Vet's office who was sending two of their new Techs down to train.

tatsxxx11
07-18-2002, 09:18 AM
Officer Richmond, you're a HERO!!!!!!!!!!! What a miracle!! What a happy, happy Mom that must be!! I too encourage all that can to get certified in animal CPR/First Aid. I think I posted a link in health on organizations that offer the course a while back. Mine was obtained through the Red Cross. Now every year I get re-certif. for my nursing AND as a furmom!:)

Gio
07-18-2002, 09:23 AM
I second what everyone has said. I think that many other people wouldn't have bothered since it was a dog that got injured.

Freckles
11-10-2002, 04:27 PM
Pit Bull saved by Cop (http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&postid=210015#post210015)

mugsy
11-10-2002, 04:31 PM
I hope he sticks around and posts. I got an email from him today too!! He said he had gotten over 200 replies.

Cataholic
11-10-2002, 04:35 PM
He deserves a million replies! What a cool person to do such a life saving thing!! Way to go Officer Richmond!

RICHMOND
11-10-2002, 05:22 PM
THE AMERICAN RED CROSS HAS A BOOK THAT TEACHES FIRST AID AND CPR FOR ANIMALS

Miss Meow
11-10-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
I hope he sticks around and posts ...

Think you got your wish Mugsy! How cool. Welcome Officer Richmond and thank you for saving the dog's life :D

mugsy
11-10-2002, 07:30 PM
Welcome aboard Officer Richmond!! I think you'll get hooked pretty quickly around here.

krazyaboutkatz
11-10-2002, 09:41 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk Officer Richmond. :) I'm so glad that you decided to join this forum. :)

kingrattus
11-11-2002, 09:56 PM
You did a great thing Sir.
I've never done CPR on a dog, but I have done first aid several times.

I'm taking school to learn how to become a cop, and my dream is to become a K9 officer, search and rescue with K9 and a sniper (from what I've been told I have a great shot at 200 yards), I want to get into Durhem Police (near Toronto/Ontario/Canada), by the end of next year they'll have the largest tatical team in all of north/south america, & they get paid the 2ed most in all of Canada (over $62,000), & they get a nice raise every year.

I'm going to get a hold of red cross & see if I can take that animal cpr/first aid course, The more courses on my resume the better.