PDA

View Full Version : Possible new dog?

critter crazy
06-01-2007, 08:47 AM
As always I am always scanning Freecycle, cause you never know what you will find. Well yesterday I saw an add for a free Mastiff mix.

A friend of mine needs to find a home for his 10-18 month old Mastiff mix who is just beautiful. she is up to date on shots and has
recently been spayed. She needs to be outdoors. She is 80lbs now and
will get up to 120lbs. Her temperment is very sweet, although she
does jump. She is very intellegent and inquizative, and if you don't
have a fenced in yard she will need to be on a very strong lead that
can not be chewed. She is Black Brindle with white on her chest, face
and toes.

She has peaked my interest, but I am torn, cause4 I told myself the next dog I brought home was going to be a small one, but I feel for the poor dog.
She has no training I guess, so she is gonna need alot of work.

I realy wanted to get a smaller dog, cause I have had such torment with the larger dogs, leaving me so early in life. But this dog sounds like she needs a good home. and the fact that they say she needs to be outside, just makes me want her more. No dog NEEDS to be outside!

ohhh....what to do???

The other thing is, I have never owned a Mastiff before. Does anyone have any experiance? Are they Hard to train?? I have owned many large breeds, Rotti's, shepards, St. bernards, ect.... This would be the first Mastiff for me.

WELOVESPUPPIES
06-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Awwww, poor girl. She probably only needs to be outside with them because they are too lazy to train her house manners. :mad: People irritate me, any dog can be trained to be inside, they are mans best friend and want to be close and please. I have never had personal experience with mastiffs but I hear they are pretty laid back dogs. One of the guys my mom works with had to go to a house that owned one and the dog never even barked, he had to actually step over the dog who only lifted his head and wagged his tail and laid back down. He was only a couple of years old. The owner told him he was very mellow. Now maybe that was just that dog? Good luck in whatever you decide. Just follow your heart.

critter crazy
06-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I just got a new E-Mail from the person whi posted the add.

She is potty trained- can sit and lay down...tho stay is kinda tough for her. She is crate trained and walks well on a leash. She is very high strung and puppy like...she isn't bad...she is just very strong.

The man who has her doesn't want to get rid of her, but has to because he doesn't have the time to train her properly...his job changed since he got her, and now he works almost twice as much as when he got the dog....it is very important for him to find a good home for her. She is going to make a great dog, she just needs attention.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-01-2007, 09:20 AM
I don't want to influence you in any way at all but.............get her!! The timing is perfect for you both and she needs a loving home

Roxyluvsme13
06-01-2007, 09:21 AM
I think you should go for it. She sounds perfect for you.

Taz_Zoee
06-01-2007, 09:25 AM
I think she sounds perfect for your family and Duke. :) Obviously she needs training and the previous owner admitted he didn't have time for it. So it's not that she's untrainable, she just doesn't have someone to work with her.
As WELOVEPUPPIES said.....follow your heart. Only you will know if she is right for you or if it is the right time. I think the fact that you were wanting a small dog and this one came up means something. Perhaps Rocky send this girl to you. :)

critter crazy
06-01-2007, 09:26 AM
I just sent an e-mail trying to set up a time to go and see her. I know damn well once I see her, I will probably bring her home. i have yet to be able to walk away from a dog I have met!:rolleyes: :D

pitc9
06-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Sounds like a good match for you!
I hope all goes well with the meeting!!

Sevaede
06-01-2007, 02:49 PM
I know damn well once I see her, I will probably bring her home. i have yet to be able to walk away from a dog I have met!:rolleyes: :D

Counting on it! ;) :D hehe! :p

Just go with your heart. You'll know. :)

chocolatepuppy
06-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Good luck when you meet her! Maybe we'll have a new Pet Talk pup and Duke will have a new buddy. :)

critter crazy
06-01-2007, 07:42 PM
well the lady has yet to return my last e-mail about a possible meet up, but we will see what tomarrow brings. If it dosent happen, then it wasnt meant to be.

lute
06-01-2007, 08:43 PM
I hope she e-mails you back! She sounds like such a cutie! Fingers crossed!

critter crazy
06-01-2007, 09:30 PM
well I finally got an E-Mail back, we are going to try to set something up for tomarrow. I cant wait to see her.

wendysue1853
06-01-2007, 09:33 PM
I so wish I had the time,money, large residence, etc required to help with poor animals like you are doing for the mastiff. I live in an apt with room for me and Spike and maybe a cat when my heart is open to one ( I lost both mine in 2006) but to have many dogs that I rescued or even just to foster, that would be heaven. I admire you SO much!

ratdogg
06-02-2007, 01:12 AM
hey! That's so fantastic we both will be getting new dogs. I'm sure once you see your potential canine friend you'll fall in love :) Let us all know how the meeting goes. good luck!

tikeyas_mom
06-02-2007, 01:44 AM
This is just great!! I am soo happy your going to take a chance with this girl, she sounds lovely. I hope she isnt too roudy for ya ;). Big mastiffs can be hard to handle at times, but I;m sure you will be able to handle it. Did they mention what she might be mixed with?? She sounds so pretty, I hope you can bring her hom, if you do make sure you TELL US EVERYTHING and post tonz of PICTURES!!! :D:D

krazyaboutkatz
06-02-2007, 02:15 AM
Wow! How exciting!!!:) I hope that everything goes well tomorrow. Please give us all the details when you can.:)

Kfamr
06-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Hope everything goes well today.

I think she is away right now, but I wwould PM Anna_66 as she has her Mastiff boy, Bon. She may be able to help you if you have any questions.

Jadapit
06-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Did you come home with a new fur kid yet? ;)

critter crazy
06-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Well after thinking long and hard about it today, and talking more with the woman, we decided against the dog. Hubby and I both agree that it is just too soon. The other thing that changed our minds, was after talking to the woman, we found out the dog has never been around children, and with her bad habit of jumping, and her high energy, I figured that could be disasterous from the get go. I feel bad, but genuinely think the woman has the dogs best interests at heart. I sure hope she finds a loving home.

Taz_Zoee
06-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Awww, well I guess this wasn't the dog Rocky picked after all. That's okay. One will come along when it is the right time. I too hope the dog does find a great home. :)