PDA

View Full Version : hmmm....Cat worth 22K????

critter crazy
05-31-2007, 10:39 PM
A colossal cat comes with a princely price tag

Company's costly kitty

COMMENTARY
By Brian Tracey
Associate editor
MSNBC
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/070531_ashera_vmed_1p_widec.jpg
One mighty mouser: The Ashera can grow up to weigh 30 pounds.

var hasRelatedPhotos = 'false';if (hasRelatedPhotos=='true'){var vRPL = document.getElementById("viewRelatedPhotosLink");if (vRPL!=undefined) vRPL.style.display = "";var vLRPG = document.getElementById("linkRelatedPhotos");var vLIRPG = document.getElementById("linkImgRelatedPhotos");if (vLRPG) {if(vLIRPG) vLIRPG.href=vLRPG.href;}}
The pricey pet is said to have been produced by cross-breeding an African Serval and an Asian Leopard Cat with a domestic feline. While Lifestyle Pets admits this type hybrid breeding has been done before, "the Ashera is unique in that genetic monitoring is used to standardize breeding and ensure that the defining features and size of the [animal] remain exceptionally consistent." And like most other super-luxury items, the company says it will sell only 100 Asheras per year worldwide, with only 50 being sold to U.S. customers
And after dropping 22 large, potential buyers should also be prepared to budget for a big supply of Fancy Feast, as the company says the Ashera can grow up to weigh 30 pounds.

Well, for all that money, at least now you can get the yappy Chihuahua next door to finally shut up.

It's no great shock that cat lovers can get little excessive when it comes to their feline friends. But one company, banking on the fact there are more than a few prospective pet owners willing to part with some serious ka-ching for a kitten, is selling a designer breed of cat that costs $22,000.

The Ashera, bred by Los Angeles-based Lifestyle Pets (http://www.lifestylepets.com/index.html), "is a new ultra-exotic breed of domestic cat that already has wealthy animal devotees paying to get on the waiting list," the company press release claims.
The pricey pet is said to have been produced by cross-breeding an African Serval and an Asian Leopard Cat with a domestic feline. While Lifestyle Pets admits this type hybrid breeding has been done before, "the Ashera is unique in that genetic monitoring is used to standardize breeding and ensure that the defining features and size of the [animal] remain exceptionally consistent." And like most other super-luxury items, the company says it will sell only 100 Asheras per year worldwide, with only 50 being sold to U.S. customers

And after dropping 22 large, potential buyers should also be prepared to budget for a big supply of Fancy Feast, as the company says the Ashera can grow up to weigh 30 pounds.

Well, for all that money, at least now you can get the yappy Chihuahua next door to finally shut up.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18965940/

krazyaboutkatz
06-01-2007, 01:13 AM
It's a beautiful cat but I wish that people would stop breeding exotic cats like this. There are so many homeless cats out there. I'd never pay this much for a cat even if I did have the money to do it. I guess it's another thing for the rich to spend their money on.

WELOVESPUPPIES
06-01-2007, 05:55 AM
Wow stunning, but I agree, no more designer breeds please...give some of the homeless guys a chance at a real home. When the newness of these wears off or they did not turn out like the buyer expected some of them will end up homeless too :(

moosmom
06-01-2007, 09:05 AM
It's a beautiful cat but I wish that people would stop breeding exotic cats like this. There are so many homeless cats out there. I'd never pay this much for a cat even if I did have the money to do it. I guess it's another thing for the rich to spend their money on.

The more who buy, the more shelter cats die.

critter crazy
06-01-2007, 09:09 AM
I cannot get over the fact that people are willing to pay so much money for a mixed breed cat!! I mean come on!! Not to mention the background of wild cats, which means temperment could be a big issue! If thee people have so much money to spend on one pet, why dont they use it to help out shelters?? 22K could go a very long way!!

Laura's Babies
06-01-2007, 09:11 AM
It is a butiful cat but just think of how many street cat $22,000 could help!

Medusa
06-01-2007, 09:20 AM
My thought exactly, Laura! Worst part of it is, if this cat doesn't behave in exactly the manner it's family thinks it should, it may end up in need of rescue. After all, it's part wild. Cats are independent enough as it is. Give me that 22K. I'll show ya what it can do for the homeless cat population!

Pawla
06-01-2007, 09:50 AM
One word-ADOPT!!!

Sevaede
06-01-2007, 03:51 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with what's already been said.

I do have to wonder though... The Ashera? I thought the ServalxAsian Leop. mix was referred to as something else? I could be mistaken though.

catmandu
06-01-2007, 06:48 PM
The People Who Buy A Cat Like This Are Looking For A Staus Symbol One That Costs A Lot Of Money.
And Sadly They Will Tire Of Thier Cat And Go Onto Other Things Leaving Thier Help To Care For A Sad Cat Whos Not A Companion But Just Something That They Spent A Lot Of Money On Once.
And Thats Sad And Wrong.

CultureJunky
06-02-2007, 03:32 AM
That's a beautiful animal, but it's sad that it'd been bred to be an accessory. I mean you only have to look at the name of the company 'lifestyle pets' I mean please. You don't have a pet to change your lifestyle or fit in with your existing one, you have it because you love it and want to give it a forever home and make it happy. Some people are very sad I have to admit.
To see an animal as a status symbol is just heinous in my opinion.