PDA

View Full Version : 2 Sick Kitties

Craftlady
05-31-2007, 06:26 PM
Eleanor has laryngitis (got steroid shot and will be on liquid antibotic) aka sore throat and ear infection.

Stephen has terrible case of ear mites (again/he had it at time adoption and was treated at the time w/one time dose, guess it didnt work :( ). I was able to get him in a carrier and off to the vets. Been trying to get him in for once over exam since we got him. He is on 2x a day liquid antibotic and ear mite drops 2 x a day.

Thankfully, both antibotic liquids are different colors (white for Stephen) (pink - cherry flavor for Eleanor).

Eleanor started the other day with this pathic meow (squeeky). Glad I could get her in today.

I've started a chart for medications....
Stephen gets ear mite drops (minimum 10 drops each ear, oh yeah what fun) 2x a day & antibotic 2 x a day
Eleanor gets antibotic 1x a day (2 droppers).

Grace
05-31-2007, 06:58 PM
I know your cats are indoor only, but have you ever considered Revolution to ward off the earmites?

Our boys are in/out and each of them gets a dose once a month year round. Two of them had earmites shortly after we got them, but since using the Revolution not a mite in sight. I do not use it on the indoor only girls, but neither of them ever had mites.

If you're interested, I can give you the info where I buy mine. It's up in Canada - no prescription needed up there, and I save about $300/year buying from them.

Craftlady
05-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Stephen was treated at time of adoption with Revolution by the rescue group.
Our vet suspects this might be a chronic thing that will work it's way through via the antibotics.

catmandu
05-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Poor Little Ones.
We know that ear mites can be a pain as Shkespheare brought some in when he was a Porch Cat and there are hard to get rid of especially with the more skittish of the Found Cats.
We are praying that you can kill these mites and your friends will be healthy again.

Laura's Babies
05-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Ear Mites and 10 drops in each ear... I would drop those 10 drops into something and suck it up in a dropper and do it that way. The cat rule book states "you must not sit still for anything to be put in your ears! RUN!" Good Luck!

jenluckenbach
05-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Prayers for both kitties. Why do they always ALL get sick at once?? Good luck wit the medication, and remember, it is not forever. (even though it will seem never-ending :rolleyes: LOL )

Freedom
05-31-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm sorry to hear they are under the weather.

I DID give a chuckle, thinking about a cat with laryngitis!

Get well quickly, Eleanor and Stephen!

In my experience, 4 days on antibiotics and they look and feel lots better! then ther real work for dosing starts, because they feel fiesty again! :D

Craftlady
05-31-2007, 08:12 PM
Stephen did good until I took to long to get the antibotic dosed. Poor hubby got scratched. Next time, we will use a towel.
Poor thing, HATES being held and we have been working on it by giving a "treat reward" for being still in our arms for 1 minute.

Eleanors "meow" was squeeky and got more so today, thus the call to vet.
Poor thing just went potty (all was ok except a little section of semi pudding diarreha). Either the steriod shot of antibotic did it. I'm betting the steriod shot, we havent had trouble with antibotics before giving diarreha.

Medusa
05-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Oh goodness! Ain't it fun when you have more than one? Laryngitis, eh? Why can't my Creamsicle get that? Poor thing is so loud due to deafness. Nah, I cancel that. We've had enough sickness around here. Lots of good energy being sent your way.

rg_girlca
05-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Poor Eleanor & Stephen. Prayers on the way that they both have a full and speedy recovery.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Catlady711
05-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Sometimes Revolution requires several treatments to totally get rid of the earmites. It's certainly better than giving ear drops.

Jack had horrible earmites when he showed up and we had to do the drops twice a day for a whole MONTH! The poor guy hated having his head touched for a year after that! When the 3 kittens got earmites it took two doses of Revolution and they were gone. Too bad they didn't know about Revolution and ear mites when I got Jack.

Grace
05-31-2007, 11:00 PM
Sometimes Revolution requires several treatments to totally get rid of the earmites. It's certainly better than giving ear drops.

Jack had horrible earmites when he showed up and we had to do the drops twice a day for a whole MONTH! The poor guy hated having his head touched for a year after that! When the 3 kittens got earmites it took two doses of Revolution and they were gone. Too bad they didn't know about Revolution and ear mites when I got Jack.

I think the Revolution is wonderful Once you get rid of the current crisis, if you keep giving the Revolution once a month, the mites will never come back.

krazyaboutkatz
06-01-2007, 01:03 AM
I'm sorry to hear that 2 of your cats are sick.:( I hope that they'll both feel better soon. Good luck giving them their meds.

Craftlady
06-01-2007, 08:01 AM
I will ask about Revolution treatment to our other vet when we go back next week with Thumper. Her vet is the new (younger one).
The other vet here in town is normally pretty through about things. Maybe he feels Revolution in not needed in her case. Every case is different.