PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone noticed...

Hellow
05-31-2007, 03:21 PM
...how pet talk is compared to how it used to be? I mean, it used to be like a lake. Everyone having fun, and you could pore your heart out into somthing and everyone will talk friendly. Now when you try to do any of thoes things you get accused of spamming or everyone calls you a troll or you get critisized or you get into a argument with someone. It wears you down and it makes Pet Talk feel like a bar instead of a home away from home. I will probably get called all of thoes names listed above then some but i just thought i needed to bring this to light so everyone can see.

buttercup132
05-31-2007, 03:27 PM
I don't notice it. I don't get how you can say how it used to be you havn't even been here a month..if you don't like it leave no one is holding you back. People are obviously to get upset if you post immiture things.

Roxyluvsme13
05-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Um, sorry, but how would you know what it was like before? It seems to me you just pretty much copied Michelle (kittycats_delight)'s post.

Hellow
05-31-2007, 03:34 PM
No, i have wondered around here for a couple of months, almost a year, before joining.

buttercup132
05-31-2007, 03:36 PM
No, i have wondered around here for a couple of months, almost a year, before joining.I love how a couple of months turns into a year.

Hellow
05-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Im serious. I have wondered about here for almost a year before joining.

Roxyluvsme13
05-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Right.

I have a feeling this thread is going to turn into another chaotic mess.

buttercup132
05-31-2007, 03:39 PM
Right.

I have a feeling this thread is going to turn into another chaotic mess.I agree seems all his threads end up that way.:rolleyes:

IRescue452
05-31-2007, 03:40 PM
It was a little different when I joined, but that's what happens when sites grow. I recently got banned from a mouse forum because the admin thought I was a troll.

Roxyluvsme13
05-31-2007, 03:40 PM
I agree seems all his threads end up that way.:rolleyes:
And that's is why PT isn't what it used to be. :(

Hellow
05-31-2007, 03:41 PM
I just wish that things would go back to their old ways on here. I guess the reason why all of my threads are a mess is because everyone just hates me on here. Or am i doing somthing wrong?

K9soul
05-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Right.

I have a feeling this thread is going to turn into another chaotic mess.

That would seem to be its purpose ;). Just don't bite the bait would be my advice!

Hellow
05-31-2007, 03:54 PM
That would seem to be its purpose ;). Just don't bite the bait would be my advice!

This thread was not intended to become a chaotic mess, it was intended to bring to light the problem we are facing on pet talk described in post #1.

KittyGurl
05-31-2007, 03:57 PM
I love how a couple of months turns into a year.

This is why there are arguments on PT. Everyone fights with each other.
Like when people are just asking for help, everyone gangs up on them and starts stuff. If everyone is just nice, then there wouldn't be this thread right now!

i also been seeing that people are ganging up on Reggie the most. Like in the one thread where Reggie was just asking for some tips on how to fix a water bottle. Everyone started saying Reggie shouldn't have the pets anymore. Just think how hurtful that would be.

Hellow
05-31-2007, 04:00 PM
yes, that is my problem. Every time i post a thread, everone tries as hard as they can to make it a mess. That is why i never post too many threads because they will just be ruined.

joycenalex
05-31-2007, 04:13 PM
reggie, my point of view is this, take what you enjoy from PT, make a few friends and if someones' replying post makes tries to make you feel crummy, leave the rest of that behind. i've been sniped at a few times, and it's not fun, but maybe that person was having a bad day. from K9soul... Just don't bite the bait would be my advice![/QUOTE]love the line, i'm gonna steal it :)

K9soul
05-31-2007, 04:14 PM
I have been here since 2003 and since I have joined there has been a thread like this at least every few months or so it seems, or comments within other threads. The fact is life is constantly changing, people are constantly changing, new members come, older members fade, the dynamics of any community are always changing. Enjoy the good things about the present I say, rather than lamenting how things "used to be." Because no matter where you are in life, things will always change, things will never stay exactly the same, and you will spend a lot of time unhappy if you can't embrace the change and look at the good side of things rather than dwell on the bad, and wish for the past.

KittyGurl
05-31-2007, 04:17 PM
PT is a fun place. It's not like other places where there could be a 30 year old guy acting as a thirteen year old. It's not like that. You can actually make friends and not have to worry if you go to a meeting with them or anything.

Roxyluvsme13
05-31-2007, 04:19 PM
PT certainly is a special place.

No matter how much I argue and say I hate it, I don't think I can ever really mean it.

kittycats_delight
05-31-2007, 04:20 PM
I have been here since 2003 and since I have joined there has been a thread like this at least every few months or so it seems, or comments within other threads. The fact is life is constantly changing, people are constantly changing, new members come, older members fade, the dynamics of any community are always changing. Enjoy the good things about the present I say, rather than lamenting how things "used to be." Because no matter where you are in life, things will always change, things will never stay exactly the same, and you will spend a lot of time unhappy if you can't embrace the change and look at the good side of things rather than dwell on the bad, and wish for the past.

Very beautifully said.

moosmom
05-31-2007, 04:23 PM
Great advice K9Soul!!

Reggie,

K9Sould did give you great advice. Let's face it. Not everyone is going to get along, and not everyone is going to agree with your opinions. We all agree to disagree. I know some people here on PT aren't very fond of me because I tend to be very outspoken. But that's okay. I'm not staying up nights worrying about it. And I still keep coming back!!

Take a break there, Reggie. Sounds like you could use one.

lizbud
05-31-2007, 04:28 PM
This thread was not intended to become a chaotic mess, it was intended to bring to light the problem we are facing on pet talk described in post #1.

Who's WE???? Nobody can be responsible for your feelings but you. If you
need to take a break from posting for awhile, then do that.

CathyBogart
05-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Why do people keep making this thread? It's the same every time it comes up.

KittyGurl
05-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Why do people fight!? if you have nothing good to say then don't say anything at all! :mad:

Kalei
05-31-2007, 04:46 PM
I find PT is the same most of the time, it just depends on what you are taking the replies as or what threads you are and aren't looking at. When there's a thread that is going waaaay downhill I usually stay away from it, that way I don't get sad and still feel very happy:D

Reggie I'm sorry you feel bad about PT right now, but I just want to let you know that so far I like you and your posts. You have replied on a few of my threads already and they are all very nice replies and nothing that I would consider as mean. And that cute picture of the kitty you put on one of the threads I posted, that was so amazingly cute, and I thank you for the time you put into putting it there for me to see:D It was darling!

I don't think I've seen many of your threads, but I will go look at some and reply to them, seeing as there is a dog in your signature I"m going to guess you post in dog general too, I will go look there, cause your dog looks really cute:D

Almita
05-31-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah, i don't think anything has changed, but that's from my perspective. Since i'm not in every place, just mostly in General and in the Dog section.

I don't think many are fightning here, they just are stating they're opinions, most people start fighting to the new members, they are new people they are just new to maybe forums at least, but i haven't seen that latley.

When i first joined waaay longer than i was a member as "almita" i was a member here as "almamee" i know i was maybe annoyed by many people because i was young too and this was my first forum. It takes awhile to get to know people or for some people to treat you nice because they need to not judge you from how you supposedly are always either commenting people or something. They should get to know you first and then judge you once you know them.

So i think people should just get to know people first and then you can judge them as your friend and not be cruel and say mean things to people. So i think this was just a thread that reggie wanted to ask for himself, i don't think he knew about the other thread if he did then he just wanted to state his own opinion in a thread.

Catlady711
05-31-2007, 10:58 PM
if you have nothing good to say then don't say anything at all! :mad:

Most of the world would be silent the majority of the time. lol Just think...the evening news would only last like 5 minutes, the newspapers would be 1/4 the price and only a few pages long, most of the internet would vaporize and some people may find their vocal cords siezing up from lack of use! ROFL

Just a humorus look at the possibilities! lol

Jessika
06-01-2007, 12:11 AM
I've been gone for about a year now, so I have about an unbiased opinion that anyone could have.

Pet Talk seems to be the EXACT same now as it was when I "left" last summer.

So no, I don't think it has changed. The only thing that has changed is some members have gone and new members have joined.

I think people often mistake advice as "anger" or "being yelled at". Bottom line is we all care about our own pets and we all care about the welfare of other animals, so when we hear about certain situations everyone wants to rush to the pet's side to help. Sometimes words can get taken the wrong way, but BOTTOM LINE, that I have seen, is only concerned people trying to help.

Jessika
06-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Most of the world would be silent the majority of the time. lol Just think...the evening news would only last like 5 minutes, the newspapers would be 1/4 the price and only a few pages long, most of the internet would vaporize and some people may find their vocal cords siezing up from lack of use! ROFL

Just a humorus look at the possibilities! lol
And let's not forget magazines like The Enquirer wouldn't exist at all! ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
06-01-2007, 05:02 AM
I just wish that things would go back to their old ways on here. I guess the reason why all of my threads are a mess is because everyone just hates me on here. Or am i doing somthing wrong?

Try being a little less abrasive when you post for a start and what's all this "everyone just hates me on here" bs........

I've been here for some time now and yes there are good times and bad but hey who of us is perfect???

Don't dwell on the negative side of things - life is too short

Miss Z
06-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Oh GOD.

I am reaching boiling point here. No joke.

I am not particularly one to get angry and pride myself on giving every member a chance, but when the line is crossed by strings of complaining, whining and evident, blatant lying, I become bitter. I know many others do too.

I will not go into detail of all my feelings on the topic, for I do not really wish to fuel the embers into a full scale fire. So I shall leave it at that.

PT is the same as it always is at this time. Summer Season.

buttercup132
06-01-2007, 06:32 AM
It's a community with different people with different opinions. OBVIOUSLY there is going to be disagreements,fighting,and people who don't like each other. Deal with it , don't be apart of it and move on instead of making rediculous threads like these.

Kittygurl I think you need to re look up the definition of fighting because noone on here is fighting.Reggie made a thread open to the public asking for opinions so that's exactly what he got.

finn's mom
06-01-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm actually a little bit ashamed of myself for even commenting on this thread. This thread started out pretty innocently, simply stating what this person saw (and a lot of people exaggerate that's something's been "a long time" when it's only been a couple months, young and old alike, it's not a crime) and how this person felt. If you feel that this thread is ridiculous, I just don't understand why it's necessary to post. Especially with the attitude and immaturity that some of the posts had. :( (And attitude, maturity or lack thereof is in the eyes of the beholder. I'm not pointing out anyone's posts in particular, but if, for a second you think I might be referring to your post...It might not a bad thing if my statement makes you think twice about your own presentation of words.)

People will always post this question. No one is going to have this feeling that Pet Talk is different than the way it used to be, and then, before posting, do a search to make sure the statement hasn't been made already. The question may be the same, but the people are different.

I try to think before I speak (or type), and ask myself these three questions. Are these words necessary? Are these words true? Are these words kind? Now, anyone who knows me at all, knows that I have a really hard time with only speaking things that are necessary, I'm quite the talker. But, I do try very hard to only speak the truth and to only speak kindly. You can still get your point across without negativity.

My answer to the question is that online forums are just like that. Even moreso than "real life." Many people admittedly act differently online, especially shy people who are able to open up in a cyber community as opposed to face to face with strangers. When you bring this many kinds of people, regardless of the common bond of loving pets, the dynamic is bound to be chaotic and unpredictable. Just find your niche. Find the people you feel connected to, and put your energy into them. Funnel any negative energy you might have into something more constructive. Turn off the computer, interact with your pet, go take photos, swim. Whatever it is. I will say this, though. Don't let any part of computer life overtake your life away from it. It's not worth it. If you are physically or mentally capable of separating computer life from your "real life", do that. Especially if and when you feel that this community isn't your "happy place" anymore.

Ok, that's way more than I expected to type. But, it is true and for the most part, it is kind. :) I'm off my soapbox, now.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-01-2007, 08:36 AM
**sigh** I don't know *shakes head* young people these days..................

Great post Reggie, haven't laughed so much in ages ;)

moosmom
06-01-2007, 08:53 AM
I will not go into detail of all my feelings on the topic, for I do not really wish to fuel the embers into a full scale fire. So I shall leave it at that

That's my girl, MissZ!! Mature WAAAAAAYYY beyond your years!!

gini
06-01-2007, 12:11 PM
I am not sure why I am reading this thread either..........but here I am with my two cents.

If you look for negatives in life - you will always find them...........

But if you look around - search other threads - you will find that Pet Talk is the same wonderful forum it has always been.

There are so many happy threads with fun things to read. There are some serious threads by people who are having a difficult time and the responses are heartwarming.

There are threads of loss and the outpouring of compassion and love is overwhelming.

This forum is what YOU make it.

All I can say is that through this forum I have made some lifetime friends that are a treasure to me and I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Look for the positive - it's right here!

Catlady711
06-01-2007, 12:16 PM
And let's not forget magazines like The Enquirer wouldn't exist at all! ;)

Awww, you mean no more Hollywood starletts having alien babies? Shucks. ROFL

sparks19
06-01-2007, 12:39 PM
I don't notice it. I don't get how you can say how it used to be you havn't even been here a month..if you don't like it leave no one is holding you back. People are obviously to get upset if you post immiture things.

is that REALLY nessecary?

We wonder why fights break out.... well there is a perfect example above. The OP mentions one thing and this is the FIRST response. so it was a battle from the start....

But.... it's like a playground..... not EVERYONE is going to get along with everyone else. We are humans and as such we aren't going to like or agree with everything or everyone all the time. We are emotional beings and things like this tend to happen. Look how many members are on this board.... it's amazing. You are bound to get some who don't like others and vice versa.... just roll with the punches :D

I think it is amazing that with this many members the board is as friendly and laid back as it is.

Randi
06-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Gini, I was thinking of replying to this thread also, but didn't quite know how to put it - you said it so well!! :)

Everyone, pick your favourite Forum and try to go back 1000 posts - you will see it's pretty much the same. :)

king2005
06-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Welcome to PT, it hasn't changed in ohhh 8yrs+... Well except members.

I agree with K9soul & I have been here for many more years then her.

You'll grow with the site.. Soon you'll be just like me, telling others PT members it has always been like this... PT allows for immature minds to develope & grow to mature minds. Or in my case insanity to sanity lol

K9soul
06-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Welcome to PT, it hasn't changed in ohhh 8yrs+... Well except members.

I was under the impression the actual Pet Talk board started around 2000ish or so. That there was Pet of the Day page before the message board existed. Did you have an ID before kingrattus as well? Just curious.

Alysser
06-01-2007, 01:30 PM
This thread is absolutely pointless.

So what if people suspect you of being a troll? You're the only one who needs to know you aren't one. There is an ignore list for a reason. Put them all on it, and you can't see them post at all. It's as simple as that. There is no need to create a thread and start a fight. It seems to me that is your intention, because everytime you post a thread and someone gives you advice you jump all over them, I know I am not the only one who has seen it.

I also agree with Zara 100%!! :D She always says the right words.

Husky_mom
06-01-2007, 01:35 PM
....to learn from life you have to look back,

to live life you have to look forward.........

king2005
06-01-2007, 01:47 PM
I was under the impression the actual Pet Talk board started around 2000ish or so. That there was Pet of the Day page before the message board existed. Did you have an ID before kingrattus as well? Just curious.

I was positive I was on here before I got Axle & I know I was on here before 2003 cause I remember being on here well before my Dog was murdered... I also thought I was on here before I met my ex (met him Jan 30th 1999)...

I don't remember the actual date at all...
No Kingrattus was my only other ID... I think... I honestly don't remember :S
I really don't remember a lot after my ex, the stress has jumbled everything up... I get memories in tangled bunches from time to time... something usually triggers them to kinda pop up...

K9soul
06-01-2007, 01:54 PM
No biggie, just triggered my curiosity ;). Karen's join date is 2000 so it couldn't have been before that! :)

Pam
06-01-2007, 02:08 PM
No Kingrattus was my only other ID... I think... I honestly don't remember :S

I haven't read this entire thread and don't intend to but was glancing through a post or two. King2005, I did a search and Kingrattus joined in Sept. 2002. If that was your former user name you are correct about being here before 2003.

I joined in June of 2000 just a few days after Pet Talk began. It's been a fun place and I have made many friends, some of the "oldies" sticking around as long as I have. I think, from the few posts I have read, that Gini and K9Soul have said what I would have said only much better. :)

sandragonfly
06-01-2007, 02:44 PM
reggie, don't worry about it. this same thing had happened to me when I was first all new to here - they even thought I was a backyard breeder back then. :eek: eep, way way opposite of who I am/was. :o

like k9soul said about the good/bad expectations and gini about how you make it out you want it to be - I too have learned that there are not much in the world you can change and no matter what you have said or who you are - only good people will know the true of you. guess who I was taught that from? ;)

well, you know, I've been seeing replies in my threads the same since I joined; they'll always be who they are, said by means or not. and unfortunately, since how some threads and members have had been, people have their own reasons why they're very sensitive with newbies - hard I know because you didn't find negativity when they put that in your threads, but, just wait until you make a few friends and you'll know by heart. :)

Zippy
06-01-2007, 02:59 PM
I joined here alittle over a year.Let's just say I didn't get off to the best start.PT is a wonderful place and I love coming here.Things change like the seasons change like life changes.Fights happen it's life.Moosmom and I got off on the wrong foot but now I have nothing but respect for her and all she does for cats in need.This is bourd full of wonderful people who all have difffernt opinons.I am alwas so thankful to Kari for taking Emmy and I know she is safe and happy.

smokey the elder
06-01-2007, 03:00 PM
This is a community of several hundred "regulars" and a bunch of assorted visitors (fat fingers; can't type) :p ...

Several hundred points of view, lots of potential for entropy. But there is surprisingly little, compared to other forums I've lurked on. Try a Yahoo! stock message board if you want some REAL flame wars. ;)

I've belabored this in the past, but the written word is our only means of communication among the multi-dimensional communication spectrum available to humans. Emoticons only help so much! I.e. the much maligned " :rolleyes: "... :p

I think if there's a specific individual you have an issue with, take it offline to a PM. This can prevent virtual foot-in-mouth disease! :)

Lady's Human
06-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Just one thing to add to what Smokey said:

If someone takes an issue to PM, and you have an issue with it, take it up with the Mayor. DO NOT take the PM public.

If you have an issue with a poster, discuss it with the mayor. No need for publicly calling someone a troll. It does no good, it just creates conflict.

If you feel the need to question the veracity of a post, just remember, tact is a wonderful thing. (Which I sometimes lack, but I try)

Jessika
06-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Just one thing to add to what Smokey said:

If someone takes an issue to PM, and you have an issue with it, take it up with the Mayor. DO NOT take the PM public.

If you have an issue with a poster, discuss it with the mayor. No need for publicly calling someone a troll. It does no good, it just creates conflict.

If you feel the need to question the veracity of a post, just remember, tact is a wonderful thing. (Which I sometimes lack, but I try)
And also, theres a "report post" function for a reason, make good use out of it. You can even type in a message and it goes directly to Karen. This comes in handy when someone makes a post that is just out of control, a troll, or has obscene content. So instead of making a public ordeal out of it, just report it and it will be brought to Karen's attention.

Taz_Zoee
06-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Lots of good responses on this topic.
I just wanted to add one thing I have noticed.
People read things differently. One person may type it in one tone of voice while another may read it in another tone of voice. Does that make sense? It's all in how the reader reads the post.
I personally think PT was a little harsher a few months ago. But I've only been here about 6 months (wow, it seems like SOO much longer:D). I love PT and if I don't like how a thread is going I either won't read it or just won't go back to it again.

Can't we all just get along? LOL :p

Pawsitive Thinking
06-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Group hug!!!

You lot make everything worthwhile because you all care so passionately :D

ratdogg
06-01-2007, 04:55 PM
*joins group hug*

seriously I think the most incredible thing i've read in awhile comes from k9soul:

The fact is life is constantly changing, people are constantly changing, new members come, older members fade, the dynamics of any community are always changing. Enjoy the good things about the present I say, rather than lamenting how things "used to be." Because no matter where you are in life, things will always change, things will never stay exactly the same, and you will spend a lot of time unhappy if you can't embrace the change and look at the good side of things rather than dwell on the bad, and wish for the past.

this is SO true in what I've noticed about life. Not just my one month here on PT but my 25 years of being stuck on this planet. Things change. What was once terrific fades and something new comes along. I used to wish for the past and it brought me nothing but sadness. Enjoying the present is how I get through each day.

*hands out random smiley faces*

lizbud
06-01-2007, 05:00 PM
....to learn from life you have to look back,

to live life you have to look forward.........

Just wanted to comment on that statement. It expresses such a neat
thought on life. :) I'll have to remember that one. :)