PDA

View Full Version : New neighbors etiquette

M&M's Mommy
05-31-2007, 03:06 PM
After we settle into our new home, we would like to have a house-warmer party when we'd have our home blessed by the Priest & shown to our families & friends.. Do we have to invite our new neighbors? We live in a cul-de-sac area which consists of about 10 houses.

While we were moving, the two adjacent neighbors have come out to greet & introduce themselves to us. I have not yet met any other neighbors. My husband thinks we should invite these two neighbors over, but I don't want to invite just them two, and make the other neighbors feeling uninvited. I think either we invite everyone, or no one at all.

What do you guys think?

Edit to add: If I do invite them all. Do I go around and knock on their doors?? It feels kinda weird doing that. I guess I'm not really an overly friendly & out-going person who can easily say something like "hi, my name is Theresa, I just moved here, and would like to invite you over to my new house for a party".. :o

Freedom
05-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Well, I did a google search with these terms: house warming etiquette.

First off, when you host it yourself, it is an open house, NOT a house warming. I didn't realize that. See this:
http://www.digsmagazine.com/host/host_housewarming.htm

Giving tours:

http://entertaining.about.com/cs/holidays/a/housewarming.htm

A lot of site came up many with manu ideas and so forth. But I really didn't see an answer for your situation. (You can try the search yourself, I gave up after 5.)

You can post your question on this etiqutte board for a reply.

http://rebecca576.tripod.com/etiquettebyrebecca/id60.html

Blue_Frog
05-31-2007, 03:21 PM
I'd think it would be a good way to meet all the people in your immediate area, and if anyone feels like they dont want to come then its their decision, but they weren't left out. Besides, you may get a couple of house-warming plants from the new neighbours too ;)

Its especially easy to add a few more people if you were doing a backyard BBQ or something like that as well, but as long as your house is big enough for the extra bodies it seems like a good idea to invite them all :)

joycenalex
05-31-2007, 04:08 PM
for the new neighbors first. you get a chance to meet them, then decide if you feel comfortable with them in your house. then if you do, invite them to an open house with all your other friends.

moosmom
05-31-2007, 04:34 PM
How about a pot luck BLOCK PARTY, since you live on a cul-de-sac. Just put a flyer in everyone's door inviting them to stop by and introduce themselves. It's a great way to get to know each other without hurting anyone's feelings by leaving them out.

Cheshirekatt
05-31-2007, 07:44 PM
I always think it's a good idea to go around and let your neighbors know that you're going to have any type of party. That way you can tell them that if it's too loud or something just to let you know (rather than calling the cops or etc...). Plus, the more neighbors at your party, the less you may annoy by them not being there.

Did that make sense?

Catlady711
05-31-2007, 10:53 PM
I don't know for sure the proper ettiquite, but if you do invite people over when you're having the house blessed by the priest I'd be sure to mention that part to who ever you invite as it may make some uncomfortable or conflict with their religious beliefs. Just a thought.

Cheshirekatt
05-31-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't know for sure the proper ettiquite, but if you do invite people over when you're having the house blessed by the priest I'd be sure to mention that part to who ever you invite as it may make some uncomfortable or conflict with their religious beliefs. Just a thought.

I agree with this. Definately mention the blessing part.

Cataholic
06-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Or, make it a two part thing. Blessing by the priest first, followed by an open house, with a two hour window of time.

I think you invite EVERYONE, not just people that welcomed you already. Maybe the others are shy? Feel out of place? Just suffered some tragedy, and don't feel up to it?

Good neighbors are GREAT. Bad neighbors are HELL.