PDA

View Full Version : Ever Hear Of This?

lizbud
05-31-2007, 10:14 AM
No Thanks, not for me. :eek:

Originally posted: May 31, 2007

Mom wants to eat placenta
Mother goats do it. Rats do it.

But when Nevada’s Anne Swanson, 30, wanted to eat her child’s placenta after giving birth, the hospital refused to return the organ on the grounds that it contains blood and might carry infectious disease, according to a news brief in The Week.

Though mammals ingest the placenta, the disposable sac that transfers oxygen and nutrients from the mother to the baby and removes waste, humans are a bit more discriminating.

Those who do eat it generally believe it has medicinal properties such as helping with postpartum depression or other pregnancy complications. In Chinese Medicine, the placenta is known as a great life force. Last year, Hawaii became the first state to pass a law allowing hospitals to release placentas for spiritual reasons.

Swanson, who experienced postpartum depression with her first child, and planned to have it dried, ground into a powder and packed into capsules, believes she has the right to her own body part.

“To me, it was a big deal to have it, whether I was using it for medicinal reason or planting it,” she told Annette Wells in a story in the Las Vegas Review Journal.

After a baby is born, a woman’s hormonal level plunges, a situation that can lead to a serious mood crash. The belief is that the nutrient-rich placenta, which contains the hormones progesterone and estrogen, can help alleviate symptoms of depression. The problem is that like any other body part, placentas contain a lot of blood which can carry infectious diseases such as HIV and hepatitis.

My own doctor, Northwestern’s Abbie Roth, wasn’t wild about placenta pills or placenta pie.

“Holy Cow. Don't ever eat the placenta!!! She wrote in an e-mail. “It is horribly contaminated. I've heard of people requesting it to bury it as part of religious practice, but never to eat it! Just say no!!!”

I’m not the least bit tempted.

But I do think if you want your placenta, for whatever reason, you should be able to have it. There are no laws barring hospitals from providing placentas to patients and if she doesn’t have HIV or hepatitis, what’s the risk? Meanwhile, we let people put more troubling things in their mouths every day, including cigarettes and hot dogs.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Have heard of placenta being cooked with onions and eaten but I think I'll just have a salad........

Question: would a vegetarian be able to eat her own placenta?

Blue_Frog
05-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Um -- not something I would ever consider, but I think she should be able to do what she wants with it -- and about the diseases, well, it was her body doing that, so what disease will she pass from herself to herself? :confused:

Also, don't people eat blood sausage and brains and all kinds of other strange animal parts? I can't see how this would be much worse -- it looks like she was going to be making tablets anyway, its not like she was going to fry it up with some onions like a piece of liver.

EDIT: Just read Brody's Moms post -- LOL same idea about the onions

Blue_Frog
05-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Question: would a vegetarian be able to eat her own placenta?

I'm not sure -- i know that my sister can't digest meat protein anymore since she became a veg'tarian, so it might just them sick. From a 'not eating meat' standpoint (mentally), i guess it would have to depend on the person and their reasons for being a veg'tarian.

sandragonfly
05-31-2007, 10:35 AM
quoted by bluefrog
-- and about the diseases, well, it was her body doing that, so what disease will she pass from herself to herself?

yeah?? I believe what she pushed out is what she already has.. :confused:

although I know I never would do it, I think we should let her and see what world learns from it.

Freedom
05-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Well, one of the MANY things I have learned form PT is that the mom cat eats hers and that helps start the milk flowing.

Maybe we don't know all the benefits of eating it, yet?

I've heard of people taking home their tumors, in jars, to "show off." :rolleyes: :eek: (Don't KNOW anyone hwo did that, thankfully!) So I can see the difference!

moosmom
05-31-2007, 11:22 AM
One word...

EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!!

I've also heard some animals eat their young :eek: What's next???

elizabethann
05-31-2007, 12:00 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......interesting.

So if I ever get liposuction, I should be able to eat my own fat? :eek:

RICHARD
05-31-2007, 12:04 PM
yeppers,

I heard about that years ago,.

I have washed my hair with a placenta based shampoo...

Check the label.

jackie
05-31-2007, 03:12 PM
I've also heard some animals eat their young :eek: What's next???

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHHA!!!!! Baby back ribs!

My nest friend just gave birth and we discussed in detail all aspects of child birth, including placenta, and it grossed us both out. We are pretty opening mind (read weird freaking hippie) and both found eating placentas disgusting.

Uabassoon
05-31-2007, 03:27 PM
One of my close friends recently had a baby (home birth) and she was also planning on eating the placenta, not raw but in powder form. However she chicken out but still ate about a quarter size peice (downed it with gatorade) just to say that she did it. While I personally would never want to try it I don't think anything wrong of it. Mammals eat the placenta because it is rich in nutrients and helps them recover after labor it only makes sense that it would do the same for a human seeing as how we are mammals. When I was reading about it after my friend told me she was going to try it, it really does make sense to eat it after labor. However I do agree that it's kind of gross and I would never try it!

As for the hospital I think it's wrong that they wouldn't give the mother the placenta, it belongs to her and she should be free to do what she pleases with it.

cassiesmom
05-31-2007, 03:57 PM
Not appropriate. Placentas from hospital deliveries should be discarded the same as any other medical waste. What's to keep a mentally unstable woman from obtaining her placenta and then doing something totally vile and disgusting with it? (Wait, wait... I think I feel a future "Law and Order" or "CSI" episode here ...)

moosmom
05-31-2007, 04:02 PM
she chickened out but still ate about a quarter size peice (downed it with gatorade)

Gatorade??? GATORADE???

If I was gonna chow down on my own innards, you best be sure it'll be with a nice Chianti (Ah, gotta love Hannibal Lector!!) or a fine bottle of top shelf VODKA!!! :p

lizbud
05-31-2007, 04:46 PM
I can't believe I had never heard of it. Not one of those things my Mother
told me about. :D

Well, I guess more Doctors should be studying the chemical properties of
the placenta to come up with drugs to mimic any good effects you might
experience from it.

crow_noir
05-31-2007, 08:15 PM
It's always been my belief that women should be encouraged to eat it. Hello! Vital nutrients!

What bugs me are the comments about infectious diseases. WTF?! It just came from the person who plans on eating it. If it's diseased it makes no difference because the person already has it! UGH!!! :rolleyes: + :mad:

Catlady711
05-31-2007, 10:49 PM
As for the hospital I think it's wrong that they wouldn't give the mother the placenta, it belongs to her and she should be free to do what she pleases with it.

Hospitals don't want you to have your own parts. When I had my tonsils out I wanted them put in a jar to keep and they absolutely refused to let me, but I've known of other hosptials that let other people have theirs. Maybe it's just a particular hospital with those kind of rules?

Oggyflute
06-01-2007, 03:08 AM
And I thought that Haggis was a rough dish. :eek:

Miss Z
06-01-2007, 06:29 AM
and about the diseases, well, it was her body doing that, so what disease will she pass from herself to herself? :confused:

Maybe it would be something similar to Toxic Shock Syndrome? I know that old blood and body bits are bacteria heaven, as soon as it was 'out in the open' I suppose it would become pretty putrid.

I've never heard of it happening, don't think I'l be planning on placenta for tea, I'd even rather eat the hospital food! :eek: :D

lizbud
06-01-2007, 08:42 AM
And I thought that Haggis was a rough dish. :eek:

Good one Oggy :D :D

Marigold2
06-01-2007, 05:26 PM
She sounds like a flipping fruit cake, good luck to her kid, he is gonna need it.

Twisterdog
06-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Oh wow, that just completely grosses me out.

If one were to get his leg amputated, could he demand to take it home with him and put it in the freezer next to the Ben & Jerry's?

Placenta ... leg ... what's the difference? You "own" both of them, they are a part of your body.

Yikes.

Hamsters sometimes eat their own babies heads, too. DANG ... I should have done that when mine was young and tender. Now he's too big. ;)

RICHARD
06-01-2007, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=moosmom]If I was gonna chow down on my own innards, you best be sure it'll be with a nice Chianti /QUOTE]

What?
No fava beans? FTT, FTT, FTT? :eek: :cool:

Giselle
06-01-2007, 10:44 PM
yeppers,

I heard about that years ago,.

I have washed my hair with a placenta based shampoo...

Check the label.
I've used whitening creams and lotions made of cow placenta, albeit this wasn't in America though. I think it's absolutely gross, but if it's sanitary and does not have a real disease risk - let the mom eat her own placenta.

columbine
06-01-2007, 11:45 PM
It's certainly not unheard of. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placentophagy) I suspect that in cultures where people barely have enough to eat anyway, a mother whose entire physical resources have been diverted to her baby would probably be craving something other than whatever thin gruel had been available to her through the pregnancy. I wonder if there's any historical precedent for the father (or putative father) insisting that the placenta was his due.

Love, Columbine

wendysue1853
06-02-2007, 12:06 AM
I think we are civilized for a reason, cats, dogs et al though much loved, have no ability to reason and go on instinct, we know better!

Jessika
06-02-2007, 01:04 AM
I watched a show on TV once where a mother who just gave birth had a party where she cooked and served her own placenta to knowing guests (meaning, guests knew what they were eating).

I see nothing wrong with it. It's different than what I would do, but I don't shun anyone because they do it.

crow_noir
06-02-2007, 01:40 AM
Yeah and I'll trust instinct and nature over "civilization" any day.

I have lots of stomach problems and my dog end up showing me a plant that helps out quite a bit. When my doctors weren't there for me, my dog was.

It took me lots of digging in edible plant books but i finally found it. It's mostly mentioned in OLD books and not new ones.

It's a type of blue bell.

(I'll leave the "grass is for purging your stomach" bit to the dogs though! LOL :p )

I think we are civilized for a reason, cats, dogs et al though much loved, have no ability to reason and go on instinct, we know better!