PDA

View Full Version : What brand of dog food is this?? ITS BEEN SOLVED!!! 2ed Page!

king2005
05-30-2007, 02:41 PM
It has normal looking kibble with a darker heart shaped kibble mixed in it!!

Chad bought Bear food yesterday & when I opened the container that we store it in I was shocked at the kibbles being 2 shapes & colours...

Anyone know what brand this is.. I have a funny feeling its not the Brand he told me it was.

Suki Wingy
05-30-2007, 02:44 PM
I've never seen that before, but I've only fed a few foods. I know it's not Iams, Timberwolf, or Canidae for sure.

JenBKR
05-30-2007, 02:44 PM
I don't know offhand what that would be - what brand did he say it was?

I would say it's not Nutro, Bil-jac, or Chicken soup, those are the ones I have seen.

king2005
05-30-2007, 02:49 PM
He siad it was:
Chicken & Lamb Big Bite - Science Diet

There is nothing like that on their website!! No Big Bite & or anything with Lamb & Chicken... :(

kittycats_delight
05-30-2007, 02:52 PM
He siad it was:
Chicken & Lamb Big Bite - Science Diet

There is nothing like that on their website!! No Big Bite & or anything with Lamb & Chicken... :(

Don't mean to be rude but obviously he is pulling the wool over your eyes. I have never known of any decent dog food to use cutsie shapes.

king2005
05-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Don't mean to be rude but obviously he is pulling the wool over your eyes. I have never known of any decent dog food to use cutsie shapes.

I'm almost positive hes lying to me. he said he it was Science Diet & it was on sale for 25.00 :eek: Thats almost 1/2 price!!

He said he fed her yesterday evening... After my dinner I came out of my room & she litterly had exploded in pee, a super soft stool & what looked like 2 or 3 piles of byle, or super runny yellow poo... couldn't tell, ther was no white foam in it like byle usually comes with.

I'm SOOOOOOO PISSED!!

Hes done nothing but lied to me for weeks now.. its not a lie here or there.. its ALL THE TIME!!

I swear he thinks I'm stupid or something.. I've called him on 90% of his lies, cause I'm NOT stupid!!

kittycats_delight
05-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Sounds like Chad could use a swift kick in the A$$. With all honesty sounds like something pedigree or alpo would put out with the cutsie bone shapes and crap. Definately not a good quality food especially if you judge by poor Bear's reaction last evening.

king2005
05-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Sounds like Chad could use a swift kick in the A$$. With all honesty sounds like something pedigree or alpo would put out with the cutsie bone shapes and crap. Definately not a good quality food especially if you judge by poor Bear's reaction last evening.

PEDIGREE!!! I knew I something told me this looks just like the crap Karen feeds her dogs. Her dogs look like hell! I hate touching them! Its so gross..

If its Pedigree I'm going to have a cow! I'm already close to flipping out & I'm more then mad enough to empty that bin on his bed.

He doesn't give a crap about her. Hasn't for a long time! Shes more of an item to him now.. Like Look I rescued her from the pound. But I never pay any attention to her, she cannot come near my space & she must stay out of my way, when I'm in the kitchen.

He wonders why she wont greet him anymore.. She'll sleep on my bed for 12+ hours with me without going potty. he called her to take her out to potty & she refused to get off my bed.. nothing got her off. he put out food & she only ate it when he left. She wont give him kisses anymore.. nothing.

Hmmmm I wonder why!!!

My room is attached to the kitchen (the kitchen is MASSIVE, no joke), so I leave my door open so she can sleep on my bed with me. Or hang out with me when I'm home.

She never has accidents for me, only them.. Shes really good for me, shes a terror with him cause she doesn't want to be near him.

Bear knows who really loves her :D
So Stressed for her

kittycats_delight
05-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Poor girl. She knows. You can bet she knows who loved her and who treats her right. I really hope he was as miserable and idiotic as to buy her something as crappy as Pedigree but it is only the crappy ones that I have ever seen those stupid cutsie shapes in and the mutli colored kibbles. As if the dogs give a crap what it looks like. And if she went from a good quality food to a crappy one like that it would certainly explain the mushy poop and stuff. I hope she feels better and Chad was not so stupid as to buy her such horrible food.

Giselle
I was going to suggest Blue Buffalo at first because they have two different shapes and sizes. The darker bits are the specially formulated "Life Bits" I think they're called and the regular looking kibble is the.. well, regular kibble :p However, it sounds like Chad got a quickie bag of probably rather cheap kibble.

Still, I wouldn't be so quick to judge Chad, his decision, or another person's dogs and her feeding habits. The reason your dog had such a bad reaction to the food could be due to many reasons. The main one? You made a complete switch in one day. Any (most) dogs would have an adverse reaction to such a quick food change. Even if I switched from Ol' Supermarket Food to Innova in one day, chances are my dog will have the Big D and maybe even throw up. And remember, not all people are dog people. Just the fact that he's trying to help you buy dog food and connect with Bear should be effort enough :) It's the thought that counts, right?

Husky_mom
switching a dog from one food to another just like that, produces soft stools, possible vomit, and diarreah....... they stomeches react to that..... why would he lie to you and do that to poor bear......

look what I found about heart shaped kibble:

Usually "rat blocks" look like giant green pellets, but Oxbow makes a "rat kibble" which is heart shaped as well.

I also saw on Royal Canin that they seem to think a heart shaped kibble is useless and pointless to produce, so they don´t do it either....

still looking for possibilities on the heart made one

king2005
05-30-2007, 03:25 PM
I was going to suggest Blue Buffalo at first because they have two different shapes and sizes. The darker bits are the specially formulated "Life Bits" I think they're called and the regular looking kibble is the.. well, regular kibble :p However, it sounds like Chad got a quickie bag of probably rather cheap kibble.

Still, I wouldn't be so quick to judge Chad, his decision, or another person's dogs and her feeding habits. The reason your dog had such a bad reaction to the food could be due to many reasons. The main one? You made a complete switch in one day. Any (most) dogs would have an adverse reaction to such a quick food change. Even if I switched from Ol' Supermarket Food to Innova in one day, chances are my dog will have the Big D and maybe even throw up. And remember, not all people are dog people. Just the fact that he's trying to help you buy dog food and connect with Bear should be effort enough :) It's the thought that counts, right?

Ummm Just read my post above yours

kittycats_delight
05-30-2007, 03:29 PM
switching a dog from one food to another just like that, produces soft stools, possible vomit, and diarreah....... they stomeches react to that..... why would he lie to you and do that to poor bear......

Usually "rat blocks" look like giant green pellets, but Oxbow makes a "rat kibble" which is heart shaped as well.

I also saw on Royal Canin that they seem to think a heart shaped kibble is useless and pointless to produce, so they don´t do it either....

Royal Canin makes kibble in shapes either for easy digestablity, teeth cleaning etc. They make a point in not making cutsie kibble as is doesn't mean a roll of beans to a cat or dog what they look like. They also don't make multi colors for the same reason. If it is of no benefit to the animal then it is useless and they are a quality food that is about benefit not appearance. There need to be more companies like Royal Canin. It is what I feed Vixen, Phoenix and Artica. And now what I am feeding the nursing feral cat we are looking after. I swear by it.

king2005
05-30-2007, 03:30 PM

I know what a hardcore switch can do to a dog.. but I'm talking only hours if that long after eatting it.. it shouldn't have effected her stool that soon...

But thats still not the point.. She NEEDS to be on Science diet at a min, or a higher brand, as shes Hypothyroid & cheap food will only make things far worse for her... He got her cost-co trash last time.. in a month she nearly put on 20 lbs & isn't herself... She NEEDS the better foods just to be a dog.

Giselle
05-30-2007, 03:30 PM
I did, and I still don't think you should be flaming Chad or this Karen lady's dogs and her feeding habits. The fact is that many dogs are living off kibbles like Pedigree and/or worse. My close friend feeds her two dogs Pedigree and they've been doing fine. Their coat is not terrible and I dont "hate touching them". I'm just saying, from what you've given us, Chad went out and bought dog kibble for you. He tried getting Bear to go potty. She wouldn't go. Instead of hitting or dragging her, he tried enticing her with food. I'm sorry, but it seems like even if he doesn't "give a cr@p" about Bear, he cares enough about you to take care of Bear. I think he deserves a little credit..

Besides, it's only one bag of dog kibble. Why not donate this bag to the shelter and buy the brand you want to feed Bear? Then, you can explain to Chad why you want to feed this particular brand and nobody gets angry - only educated :)

ETA: About Costco, if you mean Kirkland, Kirkland is a pretty darn good kibble. I've compared the ingredients to other kibbles and it's heads and shoulders above SD.

Husky_mom
05-30-2007, 03:31 PM
I´ve never seen a heart shape kibble in Pedigree...... yes they do have these bones shapes but the rest are more like square/rounds......and lately the nugget ones......

In lamb and rice I´ve seen only he addition of some green ones like peas, but not hearts.......at all...... even if it WAS Pedigree that costs like 18 dlls

can you find the bag they were in it?.....or the receipt?...... I´m so intrigued :p.... I wanna know ;)

JenBKR
05-30-2007, 03:38 PM
From conversations I have had with Jess and other posts of hers, I don't think that Chad does care much about Bear. It sounds to me that Chad and Andrew both just don't bother with her. How sad for Bear. I am glad that she has you Jess!

king2005
05-30-2007, 03:38 PM
I´ve never seen a heart shape kibble in Pedigree...... yes they do have these bones shapes but the rest are more like square/rounds......and lately the nugget ones......

In lamb and rice I´ve seen only he addition of some green ones like peas, but not hearts.......at all...... even if it WAS Pedigree that costs like 18 dlls

can you find the bag they were in it?.....or the receipt?...... I´m so intrigued :p.... I wanna know ;)

Hmmmm... I'm not sure I want to know what trash food this is anymore.

When I get home I'm gonna look through the trash to see if I can find the bag.

Blue_Frog
05-30-2007, 04:03 PM
If you can't figure out what the brand is, you could try bringing a baggy of it over to the PetSmart or somewhere like that, and see if someone can ID it -- or compare it to the bags on display, and see if anything looks familiar. I'd check the closest places around the area -- even close grocery stores dog food sections as well.

Good luck with the ID :)

Giselle
05-30-2007, 04:42 PM
I haven't read much on Bear, but is she Chad's dog? I can understand why you're frustrated because you're willingly taking responsibility over a neglected dog that shouldn't even be your responsibility. Still, it just doesn't help anybody to be angry over anything. I suppose I took offense at the Pedigree comment seeing as my close friend feeds it and it was upsetting to read such a strong, vehement comment. But, like I said, if you're so against feeding this kibble, donate it to a shelter and buy the kibble you want to feed. Ideally, you can make a lose-lose situation into a win-win situation.

king2005
06-04-2007, 10:30 PM
I haven't read much on Bear, but is she Chad's dog? I can understand why you're frustrated because you're willingly taking responsibility over a neglected dog that shouldn't even be your responsibility. Still, it just doesn't help anybody to be angry over anything. I suppose I took offense at the Pedigree comment seeing as my close friend feeds it and it was upsetting to read such a strong, vehement comment. But, like I said, if you're so against feeding this kibble, donate it to a shelter and buy the kibble you want to feed. Ideally, you can make a lose-lose situation into a win-win situation.

Man I really wish I had the time to explain the whole story to you, then you'd more then likely have a different opinion (the Chad thing)... Its so hard to explain day to day things in one forum. But Chad isnot a good person anymore.

About our Brand issue... I didn't mean to offend, but those low end brands make me very angry. Some one once compaired it to feeding your kid a random animal parts hotdog with lots of sugar. I'm just very against fillers & trash being fed to animals, just like I'm very against adding steroids to milk cows(illegal in Canada) & feeding cows animal by-products(the cause of Mad-Cow).

Another reason I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO very against low end dog foods, is because it nearly killed my old dog. no matter how much he ate, he lost weight, he was turning on people, stealing & puking out of all 3 holes. It was traced to the low end dog foods. Saddly the damage was already done & it damaged his digestive track. My dad took him in, as my mother didn't care at all about the dog. Within a month of being on a good quality dog food, he had put on weight & was no longer puking out of all 3 holes. Every 6 months to a year, he would have a break out & had to be medicated, to make him well again... After being on the higher quality dog food (Nutro-was the highest in our area), when he turned 9.5yrs old, the Emrg. vets thought he was 3yrs old, as his teeth were white, he was very muscular & had an awesome, awesome coat.

Back to the origional thread... I will post an update right after this one, so people can skip over this one if they are not interested in reading.

king2005
06-04-2007, 10:56 PM
With the help of a good friend & 4 employees, we found the dog food brand!! I brought in a sample & the employees made it their mission to find it... They were positive it was purenia or maybe Alpo, as one said.. wait theres a commercial.. ummm... The Hearts are for love!! Overyone was like YA!!! I remember that... brain storming.. PURENIA!!!

& there on the bag was THE kibbles perfect colour, size & shapes!...Its Purenia, Adult Health Maintance.. or something like that. :(

So sad, that I have caught him in yet another lie. This time its harming the dog. :(

A new bag of food has been bought!! Its Mericks !! Its the chicken, duck & turkey (forget the name & I hurt my ancle a few mins ago, so NO walking for me to read the name).

Kfamr
06-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Glad it's been solved.

I believe you are talking about Merrick's Turducken. :)

king2005
06-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Glad it's been solved.

I believe you are talking about Merrick's Turducken. :)

Thats the one!!

kittycats_delight
06-05-2007, 04:37 AM
Glad you figured it out good job. Poor Bear. Glad she is back on a good food and hope things are back to normal with her.

Think Chad needs an attitude adjustment. Maybe back to my original idea and giving Chad a good swift kick in the a$$. What a moron.

Seravieve
06-05-2007, 07:19 AM
I was at the store the other day.. looking at dog foods. I saw Purina Healthy Morsels... It has all the 'pretty' colored kibble shapes.. one of which being a heart shape. Thought of you and this thread. Just couldn't get on here to post soon enough I guess. =)

Glad the mystery has been solved.

king2005
06-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Glad you figured it out good job. Poor Bear. Glad she is back on a good food and hope things are back to normal with her.

Think Chad needs an attitude adjustment. Maybe back to my original idea and giving Chad a good swift kick in the a$$. What a moron.

There is a line of people who want to kick him, its kinda long, so you might want to get into it asap lol

Hes quite PO'ed, I said the brand name right to his face & he denied it 100%, however instead of being his usual self, he dropped the topic quick & left my room.

It hurts me so much that he thinks I'm that stupid. He even changed his story about the dog food, saying he spent 50.00 on it. Which is not what he origionally said, cause I questioned him on that the first day. He said he paid 20.00 for it & Shane paid the last 5.00... Which would make it the correct price for Purenia dog chow(its 21.00+tax). .. last night he said he paid 50.00 for it & it was the tiny bag that was 20.00.... but then where is this sale price that he was so excited about, that he paid for?? cause Science Diet after taxes is just under 50.00.

I just don't get him.

Oh a positive note, Bear had her first serving of her new food!! As I was cutting the bag open she was going insane. I've never seen her do that for dog food.. I opened the bag & this YUM smell came from it... it smelled like a Burger/Stew... I almost wanted to eat it lol

I turned on the hot water & covered the dog food in water to make the gravy... MY GOODNESS the smell was overwelming!!! Now the dog eats better then I do lol I just might have to switch myself to it lol Better then eatting KD & Mr. Noodle everyday lol

Bear didn't gulp the food, as the water forced her to take her time, so thats a bonus!!! The kibbles are also really small & flat so it looke like the pieces will be much easier for her to digest too... I cannot wait to see how small her next few poops will be... This food should also stop her nasty gas, cause shes been makin gme sleep with her butt the past couple nights, EWWWW lol

Kfamr
06-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Careful with the hot water, only put slighty warm water.

Hot water can destroy some of the heat sensitive nutrients, and since the process to make it kibble already destroys some, we don't want them all gone! :p

king2005
06-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Careful with the hot water, only put slighty warm water.

Hot water can destroy some of the heat sensitive nutrients, and since the process to make it kibble already destroys some, we don't want them all gone! :p

opps!! room temp water it is for now :D

crow_noir
06-05-2007, 11:58 PM
*HUGS*

Glad you found out what it was and so sorry you have to deal with such an... Idiot.