PDA

View Full Version : Bridesmaid dress for sisters wedding

sparks19
05-30-2007, 11:48 AM
http://www.alfredangelo.com/index.cfm/fuseAction/COLLECTIONS.productDetail/fromAdvancedSearch/0/productID/ae8fcfca-3a58-41d2-87f9-20bb9e03af86/categoryID/772F03C9-DE43-4942-BFA0-DA77E21EBD65

here is the site for my bridesmaid dress. our's is going to be in burnt orange.

BUt my question is.... how long does it take to have a dress altered. the wedding is August 11th and I will be VERY VERY pregnant by then lol. I have ordered an extra yard of material to go with the dress for alterations. but I don't want to have it altered until I absolutely have to because I don't know how big I am gonna get or how fast I will grow.

anyone know how long it takes to alter it?

Jessika
05-30-2007, 11:56 AM
We had a similar dress for my sister-in-law's wedding in coral :)

It shouldn't take too long to get it altered if you call around and make an appointment a few days before the date and tell them of your situation. Do you know of any friends or family that can do alterations? If so that would save you a lot of explaining. But yeah I turned my dress in a week or two before my wedding for maintenance stuff and it was back in like 3 days, and that was through David's Bridal lol

sparks19
05-30-2007, 12:01 PM
We had a similar dress for my sister-in-law's wedding in coral :)

It shouldn't take too long to get it altered if you call around and make an appointment a few days before the date and tell them of your situation. Do you know of any friends or family that can do alterations? If so that would save you a lot of explaining. But yeah I turned my dress in a week or two before my wedding for maintenance stuff and it was back in like 3 days, and that was through David's Bridal lol

I should give the Alfred Angelo store here a call. All my family lives far away lol so they won't be able to do it since I won't be near them until the day before the wedding.... and while I love to do things last minute I think that is just a little TOO last minute even for me hehe.

I'm actually still waiting for the dress to get here. I don't even have it yet. but I'm hoping the only alteration I will need is some added material to the waist panelling to accomdate my belly haha

king2005
05-30-2007, 12:27 PM
it took them 3 days to do a few of the dresses for the guys wedding & It was 1 day to do their tuxes

sirrahved
05-30-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't have answers about how long it takes to get them altered, but just wanted to say what a pretty dress! It will be flattering on a pregnant woman as well.

pitc9
05-30-2007, 03:13 PM
If you fine a little place to do the alterations, *someone that doesn't have a lot of dresses to do each week* they will be able to get alterations done in a day.
For my wedding I had a sister that had a baby 3 weeks before my wedding and another sister that was 7 months along. Both had their final alterations 2 days before the wedding.

sparks19
05-30-2007, 03:51 PM
I don't have answers about how long it takes to get them altered, but just wanted to say what a pretty dress! It will be flattering on a pregnant woman as well.

thank you. I hope it will be at least somewhat flattering. LOL I am afraid the two pieces of chiffon are gonna drape open across my belly and not close haha.

Pitc9..... perhaps I will look around at different places to do alterations. I just figured since it was an alfred angelo dress I should get it done at their store but I guess it's not nessecary. I suppose anyone that knows how to do alterations can alter a dress for a pregnant lady.

Twisterdog
05-30-2007, 11:18 PM
They did my bridesmaids' alterations in just a couple of days.

Pretty dress.

Karen
05-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Um, allow/plan for extra fabric for your chest as well as belly. Better to have too much room than not enough, as it's easier to take a garment in than to expand one. A good tailor will be able to do the alterations within a day or two, given the simplicity of the dress design. Ask around, and try to find one who has done dresses to accomodate pregnant ladies before.

sandragonfly
05-30-2007, 11:37 PM
oh, shouldn't be that long. one of contestants in my pageant had to have her ooold prom gown altered, to a bigger size in the back - only took 24 hours.

but to beware, finding a matching farbic could be a problem - it took us to find right color/texture for two days, not alteration! :) sometimes you're lucky they do have your fabric you need ready there.

good luck!

Taz_Zoee
05-31-2007, 12:18 AM
If you can find a place that is not too busy they should be able to do it in a day or two. (my parents own a dry cleaner, as does my aunt, and she does alterations) But definitely call around to see who's available. Oh, and the dress is very pretty too. :D

And I was thinking the same thing as what Karen said. :eek:

sparks19
05-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Well I ordered a larger size dress so I would have the extra room in the bust area. And I ordered the extra fabric with my dress so it will be the same fabric. it will come with my dress.. LOL I ordered an extra yard of both materials so hopefully that should be enough.