PDA

View Full Version : Dog food

Whisk_Luva
05-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Ok so if we do get a dog we need some decent food. Please can you tell me what foods are the best?

Thanks!

vinjashira
05-29-2007, 05:04 PM
James Wellbeloved :)

Miss Z
05-29-2007, 05:09 PM
James Wellbeloved :)

Yep, I've heard that one's good. Also Joe & Jack's and HiLife are quite reputable.

Scooter's Mom
05-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I feed Jadie & Oreo Merrick. They love it.

Not only do you have to consider the quality of the food, but you will need to make sure the dog you get tolerates whatever you feed. Not all dogs can eat the same food with the same results.

Good luck on your dog search!
Crystal

kittycats_delight
05-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Royal Canin hands down is the best IMO.

elizabethann
05-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Fenway gets a mixture of Merrick's Grammy Pot Pie, Innova & Fromm's. I used to mix Nutro in it but after the food recall, I just mix the 3 mentioned.

Do you know anybody who gets Whole Dog Journal? They just did a report on wet dog food & dry dog food (and what they thought was a good quality).

Good luck.

elizabethann
05-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Fenway gets a mixture of Merrick's Grammy Pot Pie, Innova & Fromm's. I used to mix Nutro in it but after the food recall, I just mix the 3 mentioned.

Do you know anybody who gets Whole Dog Journal? They just did a report on wet dog food & dry dog food (and what they thought was a good quality).

Good luck.

elizabethann
05-29-2007, 06:42 PM

Good luck.

elizabethann
05-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Whoa....how embarassing is that? Sorry. :o :o

Giselle
05-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Is Wiltshire in England? I have no idea what types of kibble they sell across the pond, but just look for kibbles without:

- Artificial coloring
- Artificial flavoring
- BHT, BHA, ethoxyquin, propylene glycol
- Any type of grain in the first three ingredients (your first three should be meat)
- No vagueness, like "Animal Meal" or "Meat meal". You want specific sources like "Chicken", "Turkey Meal", "Venison", etc.
- No by-products

If the kibble you have in mind doesn't contain any of the above, chances are it's a pretty good kibble. Hope that helps you narrow it down some :)

Whisk_Luva
05-30-2007, 03:50 AM
Thank you! We have basically the same sort oof stuff as you - I think!

vinjashira
05-30-2007, 03:57 AM
Thank you! We have basically the same sort oof stuff as you - I think!
No, we don't, actually.
Like Timeberwolf for example, it is so difficult to get hold of in England.

and ofcourse there is an option of feeding your dog raw meat.
Here is a useful e-book posted by binka_nugget
http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=107897