PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice (felv+ cats living with other cats)

kittycats_delight
05-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Ok guys...as some of you might know one of the ferals I have been feeding became pregnant before we got her to the vet. When we took her in and were told she was pregnant the vet refused to abort the kittens unless it was life threatening to the mamma cat. According to the vet it was not.

Anyway, Bella had 4 babies. They are 6 days old now and seem to be doing well. She is still keeping them in her hidey hole under the terrace and is a very good mamma. The guy that lives upstairs and owns the garage under us says he will remove the window for us to get the kittens. Hopefully one day next week. It will be no problem getting Bella she trusts us completely.

My question is this. We are getting Bella spayed ASAP. Probably around the 6 week mark or so from the kittens birth. They should be well on their way to being weaned by then. We want to add Bella and 2 of the babies to our family. My cat Vixen is FeLv+, Phoenix is negative. Is this possible? If so what measures should we take to be sure all are safe? Any and all advice would be appreciated. I want to do what is best. Please realize with us these kitties would be spayed/neutered and live inside with good care, good food and lots of love. If we let them out on adoption they will most likely end up unaltered and running free outside. Unfortuately this is the way the majority of people feel cats should live here.

Please...any advice????

Thanks
Michelle

sandragonfly
05-29-2007, 04:21 PM
wow, that's a tough question.. sorry I don't know much about this and rather to not guess than giving you a wrong answer!

I think lizzie - who has a lot of felvfurs - may help you, she went through a lot with them and had some negativefurrs too.. sorry I can't be anymore of help.

it would be awesome if you have three new additions! :D :D good luck figuring this out, I know you're super at knowing what's best for anyone.

let us know as soon as you can, I hope you'll be able to rescue some of them. (((michelle)))

catmandu
05-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Sadly we have no answers , only prayers.

kittycats_delight
05-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Thank you both for your kind words, hugs and prayers. I know there is someone in not a few here that should be able to offer some advice. And of course hugs and prayers are always welcome. :)

I am trying to reach my vet in Canada as I trust him beyond anyone else but have been having a rough time with the time difference and being sick the last few days. I will keep trying though cause if anyone knows the answers he would.

((((GINA & GARY))))
Thanks you guys