PDA

View Full Version : Creepy Crawly Warning

elizabethann
05-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Is that new? I think it's so funny. I just finished say "eeewwwww" when I saw the snake (no offense to the snake...sorry). But then I saw the creepy crawly warning on the upper right-hand portion of the screen and laughed.

RedHedd
05-28-2007, 07:58 PM
It's always been there as far as I can remember. I just wish I could see the warning when I click on the Pet of the Day page when the POTD is a creepy crawlie and then have the option to click if I want to view or not.

Hellow
05-28-2007, 08:53 PM
It dosent really matter to me, in fact i love snakes.

Karen
05-28-2007, 10:08 PM
No, it is not new. We use that whenever we have a snake or a spider as Pet of the Day, as some people have genuine phobias to those creatures, so they know not to click to the Pet of the Day homepage that day.

sandragonfly
05-28-2007, 11:09 PM
the heart in it is new, it's better than before. ;)

I actually feel bad for the POTD owners. :o

crow_noir
05-29-2007, 12:11 AM
I only remember seeing it for the past year or two.

I actually don't like it at all and think it is rather disrespectful.

I have an absolute fear and hatred of pigs, but i still wouldn't want the creepy crawly warning up there. That pet is Pet of the Day. It is THEIR day to shine in the spotlight and they certainly aren't creepy crawly to their owners. Not much of a spotlight if it's censored now is it?

I've always wanted to state my disapproval of it, but let it slide. Since we're on the topic though it was a perfect opportunity that i couldn't pass up.

sandragonfly
05-29-2007, 12:37 AM
I wish I could have the bravery armors of yours. :o

to be honest, if it were my snake, I'd be offended. totally. what about some dog or catphobic people? well, I'll never understand why.

again, I feel bad for them. there are a lot of snake, spider, rat pictures here under the titles without warnings anyway.

I hope I can request it will not be one of mine..

Twisterdog
05-29-2007, 12:53 AM
There is also a thread going in Pet Poll about this, FYI.

Creepy Crawly Warning Poll (http://67.15.70.205/talk/showthread.php?p=1825986#post1825986)

So I'll just copy my comments from that thread to this one ....

I think it's ridiculous, personally.

Who decides what animals are offensive to others, and which aren't? Maybe I don't like cats. (I do, it's just hypothetical) So the sight of a Cat of the Day picture gives me the creeps. Do I get to have a "Feline Warning" imposed over the kitty's picture to appease me?

Maybe someone is afraid of large dogs. Do they get to have "Canine Warning" imposed over the Dog of the Day if it happens to be a rottweiller?

I actually have a friend who is TERRIFIED of birds. They totally creep her out. I don't think she minds snakes, though. So is she "wrong"?

So who decides? Some people's phobias/dislikes/personal opinions matter more than other people's?

I think it's discriminatory and offensive, personally. Not that it's a HUGE deal in the big scheme of things, but still ... something to think about ... is it right to call someone's pet "creepy" and imply it is so ugly/horrifying/hideous that it deserves it's picture blacked out? Is that really saying "every pet is special"? :confused: :(

sandragonfly
05-29-2007, 01:06 AM
ah, thanks for the link.

I'd vote, disapproval. end of discussion. a good point was made, every pet is special.. if my horse was censored, s/he or I wouldn't feel that special. :confused:

I believe every creature deserves an equal spotlight and they'll deal with it. sorry but this is why a lot of people find them scary or hideous; encourgement of warnings.

Kfamr
05-29-2007, 01:07 AM
I've never understood the need for it. I mean, there are people who are terrified of dogs, cats, birds, etc. but there's no warning for those? Personally, it would be offensive to me if my pet was featured and labeled as "creepy crawly." However, it is Karen & Paul's website, so it's their decision.

I'd imagine since spider, snakes, and other things labeled as "creepy crawly" are common pets, people should expect them to pop up as POTD on occasion.

crow_noir
05-29-2007, 01:15 AM
That's why i feel the "warning" isn't just harmless fun. Not only can it hurt feelings, but it can also persuade opinion.

...but this is why a lot of people find them scary or hideous; encouragement of warnings.

Because of opinion a harmless Michigan snake almost became extinct. People weren't educated and thought it was the same as a very poisonous temperamental one. Since people are already afraid of snakes they killed it on spot with out checking to see which one it really was. (Eastern Fox Snake vs the Mississauga (sp?) Rattler.)

Karen
05-29-2007, 09:12 AM
But folks, snakes do slither, spiders do crawl and creep. Yes, some people are afraid of other animals, but I doubt people who are afraid of cats ever visit CatoftheDay.com, likewise for dogs and DogoftheDay.com. We used to not have the warning, and got upset and teary emails from people when we featured those pets with "no warning." So we instituted the warning icon, and no owner has ever complained about it, so please don't take offense on their behalf. People who have pet snakes are, I find, well aware that some people are afraid of them, heck, that's why people like Daisy's owner take snakies around to educate people about them.

And, frankly, just like the biggest crowds at the zoo are usually around the bat cage, I know people who visit Dog and Cat, but usually skip Pet - but the "creepy crawly" icon draws them in every time.

Ginger's Mom
05-29-2007, 09:29 AM
I know people who visit Dog and Cat, but usually skip Pet - but the "creepy crawly" icon draws them in every time.
Yep, that is the case with me. I see the little picture on top and sometimes if it is unbelieveably cute I will comment, but for the most part I don't pay much attention to Pet of the Day. However, the Creepy Crawler warning always makes me want to see what is over there. ;) And luckily for me I got to see the very beautiful Daisy yesterday, if she had been a little icon at the top of the page I probably wouldn't have taken much notice of her.

sandragonfly
05-29-2007, 09:38 AM
quoted by karen
... So we instituted the warning icon, and no owner has ever complained about it, so please don't take offense on their behalf.

well, not yet.. mine haven't been up yet and I would. it rarely happens so that's out of ratio. as we see here already, 4 or 5 people don't like the warning - I'd consider these as emails if their snakes or spiders are everr up.

do you think you can change the warning, maybe with a red border, words around it: folks, creepy crawly warning - it's hard to see the whole thing from an icon though.

sasvermont
05-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Don't we have more important things to chat about?

This is a sleeper topic if I've ever seen one.

If Karen wants to put this warning up, it is her web site, let her do it.

Move on.

:mad:

Ginger's Mom
05-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Well, actually the initial question was is it a new feature. I think that is an appropriate question to ask in the Town Hall section, but thanks for sharing your anger with us.

sandragonfly
05-29-2007, 10:31 AM

Move on. :mad:

if that is, why did you bother to relpy - you wanted to say what you had to say too, right?

what have gone in PT lately? :confused: I definitely would only want to keep pet talk's water so I can have a baby later. :D

K9soul
05-29-2007, 10:50 AM

Move on.

I thought everyone was being quite civil and respectful in giving their opinions.. I'm not really sure why you are so angry. It seems to me that the Town Hall's purpose is discussion of things regarding the board and community, I don't see how it is out of line for people to express how they feel about it as long as it isn't attacking.

I've already expressed how I feel about it in the past. It bothers me and feels rather discriminatory as others stated. I do realize why it is there, but some people post pictures of snakes or have snakes and "creepies" in their sigs or icons, I don't see the big difference? If they are that horribly affected by a picture of an animal I feel it's definitely sad and they may need some therapy or help with such a phobia but the pets should allowed to be featured just like all the other special pets are. Just my 2 cents.

ratdogg
05-29-2007, 11:58 AM
I do have a real fear of snakes. Its not a terrifying fear, but they do give me the chills. Then recently I decided to try and get over my fear. I was kinda amused by the warning but I still clicked on it and read the description. I was impressed to see it was a burmese python. I had no idea they were yellow like that. I still got kinda creeped out but I at least admired the beauty of the snake and enjoyed reading the description. I think the warning thing is a better safe than sorry approach and I'm sure its a tough decision to have to put it in place.

elizabethann
05-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Oops...looks like I opened up a can of worms with this thread.

K9soul
05-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Oops...looks like I opened up a can of worms with this thread.

Creepy Crawly worms! :D

elizabethann
05-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Creepy Crawly worms! :D

Good one. You're funny! :D

ratdogg
05-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Good one. You're funny! :D

hahah, yeah that had me laughing too!

Alysser
05-29-2007, 05:28 PM

Move on.

Wow, I find that really uncalled for. I don't know if you have a snake, or other animals listed as "creepy crawlies" but other people have different opinions and since this is a PUBLIC message board they are certainly allowed to post it. No one was ever rude before the post you made.

Freedom
05-29-2007, 06:33 PM
- but the "creepy crawly" icon draws them in every time.

He he he, who can explain human nature? That's why we love our pets!

I sure would love that warning if it were a spider. But for a snake it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't want a spider staring at me while I am reading on pet talk; but that's just me. I've never seen the warning before, but I m glad it is there. (Yeah, I would check again, since it was a snake this time and that's OK by me. Then if it were a spider I'd probably have nightmares for a week. :rolleyes: I KNOW it's a phobia, but it is real to me.)

sasvermont
05-29-2007, 08:45 PM
I am far from angy folks. I just think the entire topic relates to a subject entirely in Karen's control because it is her site.

I am not angry at all. Sorry if you thought that. I was trying to get some folks to move on to a subject with some substance.

Sorry.

SAS :rolleyes:

Oh excuse me please, I just now re-read my post and noticed the little red mad face. I confess, I must have selected that little face in frustration....but not in anger. :eek:

boris91
05-30-2007, 09:23 AM
i know how about we have a "creepy crawlie of the day" then people can just 'skip' it so how about it? i to think it is disrespective i have had many snakes and bearded dragons and i would be very offended it would make me feel as if my pet were not special! :mad: :mad: :mad: if this is what the site is like i will leave! and never come back!

Suki Wingy
05-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Then in that case can we extend it to monkeys? They creep me out, but I love snakes. I guess Karen and Paul are just trying to protect people with phobias, but it seems like everyone has phobias, we just accomodate the more common ones. Take me for example, I have a panic attack every time I am asked to look at an equation or complex string of numbers, but everyone goes on talking to me about math.
I just don't think it's right to the owners.

Karen
05-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Boris, read my post earlier in the thread. We ONLY use it for snakes and spiders, not lizards, and give the reason why, and tell the owners ahead of time.

lbaker
05-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Ditto with the "very good" K9Soul :D :D Drop it folks.

boris91
06-01-2007, 03:03 AM
Boris, read my post earlier in the thread. We ONLY use it for snakes and spiders, not lizards, and give the reason why, and tell the owners ahead of time.

ye i know but i would be offended if my pet was covered up with that! snakes are beautiful (and spiders although i dont like spiders i love to look at them and them moving around! i think they are amazing!) people have different phobias (dogs, cats, fish, birds etc

wendysue1853
06-01-2007, 03:38 AM
I like snakes,spiders et all but they ARE creepy crawly.. that's a fact, irregardless if someone is frightened of them or not. It's just a description, not a derogatory comment about the pet itself. IMHO :)

CathyBogart
06-01-2007, 02:18 PM
I like snakes,spiders et all but they ARE creepy crawly.. that's a fact, irregardless if someone is frightened of them or not. It's just a description, not a derogatory comment about the pet itself. IMHO :)

That's your opinion, NOT a fact, and irregardless is not a word.

lbaker
06-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Thank you CB, that happens to be one of my "pet" peeves (no pun intended) same thing when I hear someone say they are trying to "unloosen" a jar or "could care less" ;)

momoffuzzyfaces
06-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Thank you CB, that happens to be one of my "pet" peeves (no pun intended) same thing when I hear someone say they are trying to "unloosen" a jar or "could care less" ;)
Mercy, you would tear your hair out around my family. Not only do they say they could care less (which I use too), they "unloosen" a jar and "unthaw" frozen things! :D :D :D

CathyBogart
06-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Unloosen? I think part of my brain just leaked out my ear. :)

Then again, I suffer from foot-in-mouth disease pretty badly sometimes, perhaps the occasional grammar mishap would be preferable.

Oh...once I posted here that I was a "grammer" Nazi. I almost died laughing when someone pointed THAT out to me. *facepalm*

Pawsitive Thinking
06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Does having no idea what you are talking about mean that creepy crawlies don't bother me??? or am I just unobservant

lbaker
06-04-2007, 09:56 AM
I think the expression "creepy crawly" is kind of cute in a little kid way. It's gentle. It sure beats "gross and disgusting" :p

king2005
08-07-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm mostly against it because how are you supose to know if its a snake or a spider?

What if the person(s) LOVE snakes, but fear spiders, they'll never know if its safe to click on the link or not.

If the warning said "POTD is a Snake" then people who fear snakes wouldn't click on it & the same for spider.

If I posted a photo of Lilly I would be bumbed with the creepy crawlie warning, as I don't think she creepy... But giving a warning shes a spider is cool with me. Its just the wording I don't like... Kinda takes the fun out of things.

But like I said I understand peoples fears. When I get Lilly back, I have to put her into my closet when Karen comes over, as she will not go anywhere, where she can see a big spider. Shes fine knowing Lilly is locked up & out of sight. I'm ok with it too.

My buddy James is scared of spiders, but only of they touch him. He wants to get to know Lilly better & understand their movements better, which is what scars him

crow_noir
08-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Though i found it creepy i thought wolf spider mating language was fascinating! (watched a show in science class about something and they had some spiders in a lab. Sorry I can't remember, this was over 10 years ago.)

Barbara
08-22-2007, 07:59 AM
When one day I was sitting in my office quietly chatting at PT -no, no of course I was in the middle of a business plan ;)- my assistant in the room next door let out a very scary scream! :eek:
When I got out of my office to see what threatened her - and I was sure it was a giant spider- it found out it was because she had opened a copy of National Geographic Magazine and there was this beautiful big python.
I doubt that anyone reacts like that if he/she sees a cat or a dog.
I am very ashamed to admit that I react to spiders that way- I know it is completely irrational but I just can't help it. But I like and admire snakes- the most beautiful being the small poisonous ones that look like tiny jewels. :)

kittycats_delight
08-22-2007, 08:28 AM
When one day I was sitting in my office quietly chatting at PT -no, no of course I was in the middle of a business plan ;)- my assistant in the room next door let out a very scary scream! :eek:
When I got out of my office to see what threatened her - and I was sure it was a giant spider- it found out it was because she had opened a copy of National Geographic Magazine and there was this beautiful big python.
I doubt that anyone reacts like that if he/she sees a cat or a dog.
I am very ashamed to admit that I react to spiders that way- I know it is completely irrational but I just can't help it. But I like and admire snakes- the most beautiful being the small poisonous ones that look like tiny jewels. :)

You know something Barbara, I never would have believed someone could react like that to a cat or dog either until.....

A friend of mine has a 'unnatural' fear of cats. The very sight of a cat even on TV makes her scream bloody murder and run from the room. The first time I witnessed it I just about rolled on the floor laughing. I thought she was being funny. But she screamed to me from the other room 'is it gone??? Is it gone?' I told her it was and she creeped back into the room with her hands over her face and peeking through her fingers. When she took her hands away I realized her face was tear streaked and completely colorless. I asked her why she was so scared of cats and she couldn't tell me. She said 'I don't know really but for as long as I can remember I have been terrified of them.' She never once stepped foot inside my door. At that time we had only been friends a short time and had meet through university so I didn't know anything about it. I guess it was a good thing she didn't come visit my house cause I never would have thought to 'warn' anyone I had a cat.

Barbara
08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
I have one co-worker who spend a night in the house of a friend of hers. That friend had to go to work earlier and so Chris was alone with the cat: up to today she says the cat didn't allow her to leave the house by standing in the door and looking threatening.
So she is not really mad crazy about cats but mildly scared.
I have to take it as it is- but I still would think the irrationally-scared-by-spiders fraction is bigger than the irrationally-scared-by-cats fraction.

Filou just said he loves the idea that someone is scared of him- he is rather bothered by all the people who want to kiss him :p

lbaker
08-22-2007, 09:09 AM
A friend of my mothers was always nervous about visiting our home because she said our Siamese cat would stare at her and "turn his eyes red" at her :rolleyes: :D Actually the cat would stare at her. I think he did it for fun, he ignored other visitors :D

Karen
08-22-2007, 04:20 PM
My beloved Aunt Dotty - my mother's best friend since childhood, not technically an aunt - was afraid of cats. Not "run fom the room screaming"-type afraid, but afraid and nervous and uncomfortable whenever one was around. I finally asked her about it when I was an adult.

She told me, "I know it is silly, and I know they are harmless and most people love them. But when I was a very little girl, my older brothers would grab a kitten from the barn and hold it toward me and chase me. The kitten would invariably be terrified, meowing and claws out in fear, but my brothers made it seems they were viscious monsters out to get me. I was terrified myself, and would run away screaming, and they'd run after me until they were laughing too hard to chase me any more. I know now that they were just stupid kids, and that it was as scary for the kittens as it was for me, but I just get the creeps whenever I see a cat."

She and I agreed that her brothers were stupid, in fact she still didn't like them very much as they didn't improve a whole lot as adults, and it was unfortunate they had ruined a whole species for her. But she always had her dog, and she and dogs got along fine.

cassiesmom
10-29-2007, 09:48 AM
But folks, snakes do slither, spiders do crawl and creep. Yes, some people are afraid of other animals, but I doubt people who are afraid of cats ever visit CatoftheDay.com, likewise for dogs and DogoftheDay.com. We used to not have the warning, and got upset and teary emails from people when we featured those pets with "no warning." So we instituted the warning icon, and no owner has ever complained about it, so please don't take offense on their behalf. People who have pet snakes are, I find, well aware that some people are afraid of them, heck, that's why people like Daisy's owner take snakies around to educate people about them.

And, frankly, just like the biggest crowds at the zoo are usually around the bat cage, I know people who visit Dog and Cat, but usually skip Pet - but the "creepy crawly" icon draws them in every time.

I'd vote for a creepy crawly alert on today's pet, a gecko. Shed skin gives me the shivers.

Cataholic
11-07-2007, 11:44 AM
My friend's sister in law cleans houses. I wanted her to clean mine. I figured that she would be totally trustworthy (and, I am sure that she was).

They both showed up one day, to do a look over, give me a price, etc. WELL, the SIL is terrified of cats. She screeched when Allie came over and rubbed up against her leg. I think she would have climbed up my friend, if she could have.

Needless to say, she didn't clean my house. Phobias are irrational, I think.

Cincy'sMom
11-25-2007, 03:21 PM
I think part of my brain just leaked out my ear. :)

That is a great line!!!

DrKym
11-25-2007, 04:01 PM
That is a great line!!!

along with my pituitary gland just exploded! :p