PDA

View Full Version : Okay all you rat enthusiasts...

moosmom
05-27-2007, 01:52 PM
I need advice on Winkie. I had him on my shoulder the other day and was petting him. He had these little bumps, like pimples, on his shoulder near his right ear.

Is this something I should be concerned about??

Hellow
05-27-2007, 02:45 PM
No, i believe that is just his bone.

Whisk_Luva
05-27-2007, 03:22 PM
I dont know much about rats but is it like that on the other side?

CathyBogart
05-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Hmm....Is he itchy at all? Are they red or just raised? Do you have any new pics of him? :)

luckies4me
05-28-2007, 01:10 AM
If he is excessively itchy and keeps scratching he could have a mite infestation, or possibly lice. How is his protein intake? Male rats can get really itchy if they have too much protein in their diet so you may want to cut out meaty treats and avoid giving him too many sunflower seeds. If you part his fur and look at his skin you should see a little bit of yellow tint. If it is orange/oilish then he has too much protein.

Anywho, if you have any other questions let me know. Mites/lice are easy to take care of. Just two doses of Ivermectin should take care of it. :)

Miss Z
05-28-2007, 06:29 AM
I agree with luckies4me, could be a mite infestation. Maybe he could also be reacting to some substance or a type of bedding that irritates his skin.

Tia had some bumps similar to what you described on her left flank a while back. They were tiny bumps in three almost perfect lines. They didn't last very long, a couple of the larger ones scabbed over and soon fell off, the others just went down. I put it down to the fact that she could either have been scratching or cleaning (she sometimes cleans herself by licking her toes and then scratching) and just forgot how sharp her claws can get!

moosmom
05-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks Cass and Zara.

Zara,

His nails do get pretty sharp. I try to clip them whenever I can. I'll look at them again when he wakes up to see if they're raised, etc.

Any suggestions as to what other kind of food I can get for him? I've tried giving him broccoli, carrots, fruits, nuts, saltines, you name it! He's the best fed rat in the universe!!

Should I bathe him? How can I do that and what kind of soap is used?

Miss Z
05-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks Cass and Zara.

Zara,

His nails do get pretty sharp. I try to clip them whenever I can. I'll look at them again when he wakes up to see if they're raised, etc.

Any suggestions as to what other kind of food I can get for him? I've tried giving him broccoli, carrots, fruits, nuts, saltines, you name it! He's the best fed rat in the universe!!

Should I bathe him? How can I do that and what kind of soap is used?

I clip Tia's pretty often too but as I'm sure you know, it's no easy task! As luck (or perhaps misfortune) would have it, Tia's scratched herself a little too hard again and now she has some little bumps behind her ears. :p

Tia eats like a queen too, ratties really don't know just quite how spoilt they are, do they? ;) The fruits and veggies should always be the main treats, but Tia likes a bit of pasta or spaghetti every now and then. They can also have biscuits, either of the human or dog variety!

As for bathing, my experiences with Mizz Tia have shown me that I get a better bath that she does. :rolleyes: I'm sure Winkie would be a much better behaved boy. I wouldn't bathe too often as it can make their coats too soft and flimsy, and you can use special animal shampoos that will most likely be available from your vet or perhaps a pet store. Tia would love to see some pics of her heart-throb Winkie having a bath! :D

Muddy4paws
05-29-2007, 01:08 PM
My rats nails get so long too he hates them being done but try using a brick in his cage under his water bottle I find it wears them down a bit, My rats are on pets at home nuggets because its all they will eat (rat food wise) Try some dried pasta or dog treats, mine love dog biscuits lol

You can get something called anti parasite spot on made my beaphar, I take mine to work with me so mine get that just incase any dogs that come in have anything on them. its very easy its just like the front line on the back of the neck and it lasts for 4 weeks.1 Pipette should be enough. Im not sure if this is only sold in uk or not so if it is look for something with Ivermectin as thats the mite killer.

http://www.allpet.co.uk/shop/uploaded_images/n_code1119.gif

We need to see more photos!!

luckies4me
05-29-2007, 01:33 PM
As for bathing, my experiences with Mizz Tia have shown me that I get a better bath that she does. :rolleyes: I'm sure Winkie would be a much better behaved boy. I wouldn't bathe too often as it can make their coats too soft and flimsy, and you can use special animal shampoos that will most likely be available from your vet or perhaps a pet store. Tia would love to see some pics of her heart-throb Winkie having a bath! :D

Bathing a rat does not make their coat too soft or flimsy, and if it did make them too soft I'm sure a lot of us rat breeders would be bathing their ratties a heck of a lot more to get them ready to show. We all strive for the best well kept coats, and having a nasty coat can cost you a lot of points in the show ring.

As far as shampoo goes the best thing to use on a rat is baby shampoo. The PH is very similar to rats and if any gets in the eyes it doesn't hurt. Most small animal shampoos tend to be a bit drying. And if his coat gets dryer he will just produce more oils. More oils=more stink. ;)

Muddy4paws offered a great suggestion in regards to keeping the nails short. A brick in the cage works wonders!

Miss Z
05-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Bathing a rat does not make their coat too soft or flimsy, and if it did make them too soft I'm sure a lot of us rat breeders would be bathing their ratties a heck of a lot more to get them ready to show. We all strive for the best well kept coats, and having a nasty coat can cost you a lot of points in the show ring.

Oops, my bad. Guess it's just the shampoo I use. Tia's coat always seems to become lighter and sort of fluffier, as if there's less depth to it, when she has a bath. I always thought if I bathed her too much she would turn into a giant poofball. :p

moosmom
05-29-2007, 07:17 PM
I feel so bad for him. I'm watching him now and he IS licking his feet and grooming himself. I just wiswh there was something I could do to help him.

Okay, level with me...HOW do I bathe him? I'm good bathing cats, but a rat?? That's a new one for me!!

luckies4me
05-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Oops, my bad. Guess it's just the shampoo I use. Tia's coat always seems to become lighter and sort of fluffier, as if there's less depth to it, when she has a bath. I always thought if I bathed her too much she would turn into a giant poofball. :p

Heh, but just imagine how cute she would be lol. :D

luckies4me
05-29-2007, 09:52 PM
I feel so bad for him. I'm watching him now and he IS licking his feet and grooming himself. I just wiswh there was something I could do to help him.

Okay, level with me...HOW do I bathe him? I'm good bathing cats, but a rat?? That's a new one for me!!

Rats licking their feet and grooming themselves is normal, and you will even see them stick their tosies in their ears. :D

As far as bathing I would answer that right now but I'm off to take Kai to the doctors. He has a cold. :( I will answer when I get back.

moosmom
05-29-2007, 10:27 PM
I clipped his nails and took a closer look. Poor little guy :( has a bunch of these little scabs and they look sore. Time for a vet visit perhaps?? Everytime I rubbed the area, he'd close his eyes as if it felt good.

luckies4me
05-29-2007, 11:24 PM
I would definitely take him into the vet. Just make sure they do not inject the Ivermectin if they want to give him some. It should be applied topically.

moosmom
05-30-2007, 10:59 AM
I just bathed him with baby shampoo. He was SOO good. Now he's scratching again. The scabs look sore. I'm going to call my vet and see if they can look at him.

Why is it not good to inject him with Ivermectin???

moosmom
05-30-2007, 11:19 AM
I just called the vet. He's got an appointment at 4 pm today. I just want him to be happy and not itch!!

moosmom
05-30-2007, 04:22 PM
$104 later...the vet isn't sure if it's a bacterial infection or something else. He's treating it as such and gave me Baytril to give him and an eye ointment for his missing eye. He was a good boy. He weighs 1.8 lbs. Since we got back he's been sleeping soundly. I asked the vet about his scabs and he said to let them be as it's the only to see if the meds are working and clearing up the boo-boos. If not, it's back to square one.

I hope it works. I feel so bad for him. :(

luckies4me
05-30-2007, 09:07 PM
The vet didn't do a skin scraping? Very odd. :confused:

moosmom
05-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Cass,

The vet tech suggested a skin scraping, but the vet said not to bother. He looked at Winkie's skin very closely (with a magnifier) and he said he didn't see any parasites. He's treating it as a bacterial infection. I have to bring him back in a week. He's not itching as much this morning. He's such a sweet little guy. Takes his medicine like a real trooper.

luckies4me
05-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Well hopefully this will take care of it. My rats always loved Baytril, silly little things. It smells like alcohol so I have no idea why they enjoy it so much. :rolleyes:

Well here's hoping for a quick recovery for little Winkie. :D

moosmom
05-31-2007, 11:38 AM
I felt so bad for him that yesterday I went out and bought him all of his favorite foods, grapes, sweet potatoes, rat treats, nectarines. He's the best fed rat in the State of Connecticut and I adore him! :p

Muddy4paws
05-31-2007, 12:28 PM
lol its weird how badly you grow attached isn't it? :D I would be lost without my 2!

moosmom
05-31-2007, 01:24 PM
I never thought I could be so attached to a rodent!! But he is so sweet. Doesn't bite, actually licks me. Everyone in the vet's office came over to him sitting on my shoulder. All the vet tech's were coming into the examining room wanting to see him.

Muddy4paws
05-31-2007, 01:28 PM
I know, I get that alot with mine! People ask how I can kiss my rat and have him on my shoulder and when he gives kisses!

moosmom
05-31-2007, 04:25 PM
People ask how I can kiss my rat and have him on my shoulder and when he gives kisses!

Muddy4paws,

That's the best part!!! :D

Miss Z
06-01-2007, 05:40 AM
I know, I get that alot with mine! People ask how I can kiss my rat and have him on my shoulder and when he gives kisses!

Hehe, the world would be an empty place without rattie kisses. ;)

moosmom
06-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Winkie is doing great! All his scabs are gone and the only time I see him scratching, it's to groom himself.

One of the vet techs from the clinic I took him to came into the store yesterday, recognized me and asked how he was doing.

ramanth
06-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Glad to hear Winkie's doing better! :D