PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the appeal of text messages?

catnapper
05-26-2007, 07:15 AM
Ok, I might be an old fogey already, and thats just fine with me ;)

I just don't understand why its so important. My daughter is known to be IMing friends on the computer with one hand and texting friends on the phone with the next. Why not set up a conference call? ;)

I use my texting feature maybe once a week to text my husband while he's in class. In the old days I'd have called school and let a message for him. But my kids.... I can be in the car with them, having one conversation and they'd be texting someone else having another. It used to be that car rides were a time to get to know each other better.... enjoy the scenery.... catch up on some sleep. But nope, its an opportunity to text some friends whom you already texted back at home while eating lunch, while IMing others, heck, I swear some kids do it while in the shower!

Can someone please explain its appeal? I just don't get it!

Thank you! :)

Cookiebaker
05-26-2007, 07:27 AM
I don't know about teenage kids, but I know that I love the text messaging feature. Mark is on the road all day and visiting customers, and it is a way to communicate with him without interupting him when it isn't convenient. That's the only time I use it though.

p.s. I think its hillarious when someone texts me by accident from a wrong number. It has happened several times. :p

buttercup132
05-26-2007, 07:51 AM
It's more convenient then phoning. They have a little message on their phone to get and reply whenever they want. Not everyone people want to talk to are always on msn;)

I love texting it's so much easier. You also never get those awkward silences when someone has nothing to say.

Laura's Babies
05-26-2007, 07:53 AM
I never had text until my sister and her hubby went on that move across country and I wanted to be able to keep up with where they were, when they were stopped for the night, started in the morning and just to know they were ok. They left right when I had to go back to work and cell phone recpetion out on the river is hit and miss but for some reason text will work when a actual call won't. Now I still have it so we can communicate while I am out there.

I don't really see what all the hoopla is about, it is hard to do with those little key pads on them, the messages have to be so brief but it IS handy to have. It was really nice to get "Happy Mothers Day Mom" in a text when we were in a dead area on Mothers Day.

columbine
05-26-2007, 08:11 AM
slo kbord means u dont hafta lrn inglsh

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-26-2007, 08:23 AM
It is a real pest, isn't it!! We have 2 kids, aged 18 and 22. They both have a mobile and send lots of messages; BUT there is an important houserule here:
NO phoning nor sending messages at the table while we are eating!! Even if they receive a message, they are NOT allowed to read it untill we have all finished our meal! No problems with that :)

Aspen and Misty
05-26-2007, 08:36 AM
I text messege like it's my job ;) :p

Personally, I don't like talking on the phone. I don't even enjoy calling my family that much. Text messeges allow me to quickly chat with them and makes it so I don't have to use the phone. There have been times when I have called my sister, hung up and then remembered, Oh yea! I need to tell her something else. If it's just a little thing I text her.

I also find it's a way to not interupt people with a loud ringing phone.

I have to agree though, there has to be some rules. In my house it is understood that there is no texting or calling at the table, during parties etc.

Ashley

shais_mom
05-26-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm the same way - I txt a lot - its a nice feature to txt someone while they are working and can't talk on the phone which is the case with me sometimes. I might not be able to talk but I can quickly txt the person.

finn's mom
05-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Texting is cheaper and quicker. Bottom line for me. :) If I pick up the phone and dial anyone, it's hard to have a one minute conversation just to say I'm on my way...without sounding rude or short. With my mom or David, it's possible, because they know me well enough to know if I say "I just want to tell you I'll be there in fifteen minutes", they know I'll be there and I don't want to talk at that moment. But, for most other people, it's just easier to send a text and be done with it. I still don't use text message lingo or anything, though. I can't type "lol" or "c u l8r" or any of those other abbreviations or acronyms. It's bad enough that letter writing is nearly obsolete. At least let me type in (mostly) complete sentences. ;)

My mom, in the last year, has learned to text, and there really is nothing sweeter than getting a text message from my mother telling me she's thinking of me, loving me and hoping I'm having a great day. :D

Hellow
05-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Texting ROCKS! It gives us teens a way to talk to someone without actually *talking*. It is easier than phoning and it wont let your parents *hear* what you are *saying*.

Freedom
05-26-2007, 10:56 AM
It used to be that car rides were a time to get to know each other better.... enjoy the scenery.... catch up on some sleep.

Set some rules. NO texting in the car.

Pam
05-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Interesting that you brought this up Kim! I myself have probably text messaged a half a dozen times in my life and wondered why others use texting so often. I would rather use the phone but I didn't realize there were times when the phone wouldn't work where a text message would. It has been an enlightening thread to me and now I understand it all so much better.

At my office we are not supposed to place or receive personal calls except at lunch. A couple of my co-workers have become quite sneaky about sending text messages while holding the phone slightly under their desks. :o Where there is a will there is a way. :)

Aspen and Misty
05-26-2007, 11:18 AM
and it wont let your parents *hear* what you are *saying*.

In my opinion, If you are talking about things your parents shouldn't hear, then you probably shouldn't be talking about them at all.

Ashley

RedHedd
05-26-2007, 12:07 PM
slo kbord means u dont hafta lrn inglsh
... that explains the appalling lack of spelling and grammar skills in today's world.

I don't text because it's expensive and tedious to try and get all that I want to say into a text message. I'm more into e-mail.

Also, I think it's sad that people would rather text than talk to someone on the phone. There's something so much more personal about having a real conversation; avoiding personal interaction may be a sign of some underlying fear or problem that needs addressing. Hiding under a text message and avoiding human contact exacerbates the problem and just leads to loneliness.

Hellow
05-26-2007, 12:32 PM
In my opinion, If you are talking about things your parents shouldn't hear, then you probably shouldn't be talking about them at all.

Ashley

What if you are talking to your girlfriend?

Almita
05-26-2007, 12:40 PM
For me I text, but not overboard like many people. I have unlimited texting. I just text people so i can contact them, know what is going to happen that day, etc. When we want to talk about what ever we are on the phone because it takes forever to text it all on a phone, or hard to explain by texting and IM. So mostly i text people most of the time during the weekday when calling is not for free unless i'm at home i can call.

RedHedd
05-26-2007, 01:56 PM
What if you are talking to your girlfriend?

Ditto - If you are talking about things your parents shouldn't hear, then you probably shouldn't be talking about them at all.

sparks19
05-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Well we have the unlimited text messaging plan on our phone but it was mostly because when we had to live seperately (me in Canada and him in the US) I could always just send him a quick text for free rather than pay long distance charges :D lol

And then sometimes I text him during the day while we are working if I have a question since we aren't always available to talk on the phone.

Just an added convenience sometimes

Kfamr
05-26-2007, 02:13 PM
I use texting a lot.
I get unlimited minutes and unlimited texting. However, it's a lot easier to text someone and say that you're on your way rather than call and have to go into a long conversation when you're going to see them in a few minutes.

As someone who doesn't like to talk on the phone, text messaging is perfect.
At work I can keep in contact with friends and family without interrupting my work. Actually, it keeps me smiling during the day because my cousin and I message eachother back and forth while at work. We work the same job, just different locations.

My old phone was a prepaid phone. For some reason, I was still able to text without having any minutes on the phone. So basically, I was able to keep in contact with people for free.

For those that pay for each text/minute on their phones, it's generally cheaper to text.

sparks19
05-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Ditto - If you are talking about things your parents shouldn't hear, then you probably shouldn't be talking about them at all.

LOL It's not nessecarily things your parents shouldn't hear.... more things you don't want them to hear hahaha.

I don't know any teen that wants their parents to hear them sweet talk their g/f or b/f hehe In my house that would have led to "teasing" about having a b/f and how cute it was lol

shais_mom
05-26-2007, 02:39 PM
I have unlimited minutes also and unlimited txting to people in my network - I have a few people not in my network and I have to pay to txt them. But its more convient to txt someone and tell them that you miss them or you are thinking of them than to call them sometimes.
:)

crow_noir
05-26-2007, 04:13 PM
I use texting for messaging S.O. when I'm on the computer. Our new dial-up is horrible and getting a decent connection is random luck. If i have a good connection I don't want to get off the computer.

Also, since getting rid of his pager i prefer this. I HATE leaving messages on voice mail. By the time you get through all the prompts you've forgotten what you were going to say.

*sigh*

I miss the days of the C.B. (the original chat rooms!!!)

luckies4me
05-26-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm not too fond of sending regular text messages...or recieving them for that matter, but I LOVE sending picture messages! Since none of my family live near me and cannot see/visit me and my children it's nice to have the ability to send pictures to them during the day when one of them does something too adorable you have to send and share. WOW, talk about a run on sentence lol.

:p

Blue_Frog
05-26-2007, 05:32 PM
I've read most of the thread so far, and I do a lot of what people have already posted.

I text a lot more than I talk on my cell phone. I don't like talking on the phone to a lot of people (there are a few exceptions however). This is because i did phone technical support for around 6 years -- so, 5 days a week, 8.5 hour days of nothing but talk-talk-talk to customers, call after call. It kind of threw me off wanting to talk on the phone a lot on my personal time, even now *lol* :rolleyes:

I text message with my boyfriend throughout the day when hes at work - because he does technical support as well, i can send him quick messages and get quick messages back without inturrupting him doing his job. I also text him from moms farm on the weekends -- again, long distance costs money, but the text messages are free regardless of where I am. Makes it a lot cheaper when all i want to do is send the "thinking of you" message, and get my "kisses" in return :D

I also chat mostly with people through MSN - make plans, generally chat, etc. since you can maintain many conversations at once. I've even got my parents on MSN - since they like to call me at work at the most inopportune times, it gives them a chance to send me messages knowing that i'll get back to them when I can :)

Alysser
05-26-2007, 06:04 PM
For me text messaging is just an added convience. I don't overly use texting like alot of people, and mostly talk on the phone. At times I have short conversations with text, I use it to send a short message, etc. I don't really enjoy it as it takes forever for me to type a message even with "t9 word".

BitsyNaceyDog
05-26-2007, 08:25 PM
I don't text message people too often, when I do it's usually to Justin. Justin works from home but often has meetings outside of the house, if I need to get a hold of him I often text him so I don't interrupt him if he's in a meeting. I usually end up texting him "call me when you can". Also sometimes I will text Justin a list of things I need him to pick up from the store on his way home, if I tell him verbally he'll get it all wrong. It's also sometimes nice to just text him a simple "I love you".

Aspen and Misty
05-26-2007, 09:33 PM

:D :D :D

Just so you guys know, whenever I text messege I think of this thread now, lol!

Ashley

RICHARD
05-26-2007, 10:15 PM
I have never sent a text message in my life.

I can see why talking to or seeing someone in person is awkward, who needs that personal contact?

Why should I..

Drive over to a friend's house to get a warm human hug?
Be able to see a tear in the corner of the same friend's eye when
she tells me she is down?
Have to look into those same eyes and watch them smile?
Share a soda or having to stay for a meal?
Sprawl out on a couch for an hour of two of TV?
put up with a crazy laugh, when I can sanitize it in a text message?

============

Some of my favorite Stupid Text Tricks are-

Having people pay more attention to a Blackberry than to our converstation.

Watching a person interrupt a conversation with an incoming text message, then call that same person two seconds later on a cell phone.

Like, why not just call them and skip a step?

Sitting in on a meeting and watching people text, five minutes later they ask about the topic that was being discussed while they were typing!

YOU CANNOT TEXT AND DRIVE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION!

People who will look at text message and ignore it because it's "from work".
Then kill themselves to take a message "from home" because it's "from home"
I love that in business people!

========================

I just saw a cartoon where there are two adults talking One is staring intently at a baby held in their arms...The other adult says, "That's not a birthmark, It's a USB port...."

---------------

IT's bad enough that there are so many people that are going blind on their own......Just wait...in a few years you'll be crashing into shiat becuase that little LED screen made you go blind! :eek:

Follow the white rabbit. Mr Smith will straighten you out. :rolleyes: :(

CathyBogart
05-26-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm hard of hearing and my boyfriend is softspoken. :)

sparks19
05-27-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm hard of hearing and my boyfriend is softspoken. :)

it's the opposite in my house.... minus the soft spoken part hehe....

but it's funny that everyone thinks that if you send text messages you are a shut in that is void of human contact lol. SOMETIMES it is just better to text. Like the other day.... hubby didn't have a pen and needed a phone number. so I looked it up and sent a text to his phone.... pen problem solved :D

and while I wish all those months we had to live in seperate countries that I could just drive over to him and get a hug..... that simply was not feasible to drive 9 hours there and 9 hours back everyday. It's a nice thought but just not possible lol. Not to mention long distance phone charges YIKES (this was before we got Vonage which is also a God send lol)

someone mentioned the grocery list.... OH MAN is texting a God send for that. lol hubby can be forgetful.... he needs a hard copy list lol.

and sometimes while he is at work he can't take a phone call.... that's not to say we sit there and text back and forth while he can't take a phone call but a quick text to say "I'm thinking of you" or "I love you" is sometimes nice. I love to get a text from him during a hectic day and open the phone to see "I love you" written on the screen. Makes me feel better.

Aspen and Misty
05-27-2007, 11:22 AM
I can see why talking to or seeing someone in person is awkward, who needs that personal contact?

Why should I..

============

I find it interesting you view text messaging in such an extreme way. I don't think there is one person in the world who, when they are feeling down wouldn't want a hug from a friend. I think text messeges are used more because your "I'll be there in 10" text messeges are much easier then a 2 minute phone conversation just to tell the other person you will be there in 10. And who cares if you talk to them on the phone or not if you will be face to face with that person in just a few minutes.

Ashley

RedHedd
05-27-2007, 11:43 AM

Why should I..

Thank you RICHARD, that's what I was trying to say.

YOU CANNOT TEXT AND DRIVE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION!

I had to laugh when they had to pass a law prohibiting people from texting while driving. It's a sad commentary on the state of common sense - does it exist anymore? - that they have to pass laws prohibiting stupid people from doing stuff that just plain common sense used to cover.

DrKym
05-27-2007, 11:51 AM
I use the text feature more than the calling features, I text everyone!
Many times I cannot be doing the phone to my ear thing while working with a bird etc. so texting is great, I can open the message when it is more convienent for me, not to mention that it is so much cheaper on my cell phone plan to text!

Rachel
05-27-2007, 12:13 PM
None of these innovations are in and of themselves bad or good but they certainly can be used in ways that are beneficial or detrimental as various posts in this thread indicate. Also obvious from the posts in this thread is that there is disagreement about what constitutes be beneficial and detrimental.

So here's my take.

When in the company of a person, give that person the benefit of your attention and conversation, as opposed to trying to communicate via any means (texting or cell phone) with someone else. If it's an absolute necessity, say excuse me for a minute while I attend to an important matter.

Adults have a responsibility to set ground rules and an example for the younger generation in their care.

Don't miss the opportunity to experience the world around you with its vast wealth of things to learn about, people to observe, and Mother Nature to absorb.

Multi-tasking can at times be self defeating. We are Pet People. Can you really enjoy true interaction with your pets with one ear glued to a cell phone or fingers pushing those text messages? Most activities need your undivided attention, and yes, even driving.

Find the tool that fits the need for the occasion. That doesn't mean it will fit all needs for every occasion.

cali
05-27-2007, 01:18 PM
I am not a big texter, but it most certainly comes in handy. its happend before that my best frineds mom asks me to text her daughter for something important, her daughter in in highschool, and I cannot phone her cell while she is in class, and the office wont interupt a student in class if you not the students parent. one example: my friends little sister was rushed to the hospital, her mom wanted her other daughter to know what was going on, but needed to rush to the hospital, and cant have her cell on at the hospital. her daughter was in class so she asked me to text her kid a quick note, and ask her to call me ASAP for more info. her mom did not have time to call the school and sit there waiting 10 minuts for her kid to get to the phone, and if her cell rang in class if would have been confiscated on the spot without being answered.

now the appeal of contsant texting? I dont get, its not that easy to type with a cell phone lol

king2005
05-27-2007, 01:42 PM
I text all the time for several reasons.

1. I get 1 bar of reception in my house, so I cannot take a call, but I can send & receive text messages.
2. When I'm at work & need to ask my freinds something, while they are at work, I can send aa text to them & they will reply when they are free.. if the convo needs more detail, then we call.
3. I have unlimited texting cause I cannot afford long distance, so I text my sister so she can call me. Or I text friends, to have a quick chat as not all of them use MSN or have a computer & neither of us can afford long distance.

Miss Z
05-28-2007, 06:39 AM
p.s. I think its hillarious when someone texts me by accident from a wrong number. It has happened several times. :p

Haha, I agree! I got one once saying 'Honey, please don't leave me, I'd do anything for you! Please, please call me babe'. I was SO tempted to text back and tell him to send some roses and a diamond necklace and 'I'll' think about it. :p

I text more often than call simply because it's cheaper!

sparks19
05-28-2007, 08:20 AM
Haha, I agree! I got one once saying 'Honey, please don't leave me, I'd do anything for you! Please, please call me babe'. I was SO tempted to text back and tell him to send some roses and a diamond necklace and 'I'll' think about it. :p

I text more often than call simply because it's cheaper!

No kidding.... cell phone minutes are so ungodly expensive anymore. You basically have to sign over your first born as collateral hehehe.

sparks19
05-28-2007, 08:23 AM
I have never sent a text message in my life.

Why should I..

In that case wouldn't it be just a silly to use a phone? not just text messages. Afterall you can't see a tear over the phone or get a warm hug or share a soda when talking on the phone. so in other words if we ever want to talk to someone I should just drop by every ten minutes :D

Or talking to someone over the internet.... like we are now.... is just as impersonal I would think

RICHARD
05-28-2007, 01:12 PM
In that case wouldn't it be just a silly to use a phone? not just text messages. Afterall you can't see a tear over the phone or get a warm hug or share a soda when talking on the phone. so in other words if we ever want to talk to someone I should just drop by every ten minutes :D

You are correct.

I do not own a cell phone and save the impoirtant stuff for important moments.

It is the 'constant' texting/phonecalls that really bring us closer together.
That way I don't have to listen to my SO/BF/GF/kids when I get home.

I have no problem with the tech...it's the abuse of it at the expense of each other that bugs me.

I used to get together with a friend who carried two cell phones and a beeper.

It got very old, very fast, to schedule a day for dinner, a concert or a sporting event and then HAVE to watch a cellphone induced Tourette's attack for three or four hours.

---------

I really was interested in his work calls or the "check in" calls back and forth from home.

"Honey, I love you, I'm drinking a beer"
"Honey, what are you doing-has the ball game started?"
(the volume on the cell is turned way up....)
"I'm on my way home!"

Like EFF, I used to have an umbilical cord. I think it was on my belly. I am too old to remember those days, so why relive them?

Because we are in contact with each other so frequently, we really don't have anything to say.

Yeah, it's nice to be able to use tech to make our lives easier, but it seems like the more we say over that tech, it just cheapens the content.

When beepers first made the scene, doctors were the only ones carrying them.

Good enough reason! Now that you can reach out and touch anyone, anytime I really don't find that getting a phonecall or a text to be that important.

Posting messages here at PT isn't as impersonal as you stated.
It's more a forum, place to park an opinion, sharing of thoughts, pets and advice.

--------------

There are the people who cannot live with out their tech- I just choose to live my life without it.

There once was a guy named Pavlov who trained some dogs for an experiment.

He'd ring a bell, then feed them. Later on he just rang the bell without feeding them. He found out that they would drool when they heard a bell ring, because they thought it was chow time.

The next time you are stuck with a crowd of people watch their reaction when "the bell rings".

One will get fed, the others will just have to drool.

sparks19
05-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Now in the cases you describe.... YES that gets very old very fast.

I don't know WHY anyone would want to have a cell phone glued to their ear 24/7.

I find especially rude to be out with someone and have them constantly on their cell phone instead of visiting with the person that came to see them.

with some people it does seem theywould rather talk to the person on the phone rather than the person that is right in front of their face and I really don't understand that.

But I am a sucker for my hubby lol and if I can hear from him during the day just to hear an I love you or just to hear his voice makes me feel better when I can't actually BE with him. Now of course I would rather BE with him.... but life dictates we cannot be together 24/7 lol and I definately don't ignore my guests to talk on my phone... that to me is just rude.

it does amaze me how many people find that to be perfectly acceptable though and that does annoy me.

and Of course I don't think pet talk is impersonal.... but I don't think a text from my hubby is impersonal either. I was just using it as an example :D

Twisterdog
05-28-2007, 07:58 PM
I like text messaging, and I'm an old fogey too, I suppose.

I started using it because I have four teenagers. It's their mode of communication of choice, so I adopted it. It never hurts to be on their level, if it is something as simple as learning to text.

However, I do find it is very nice. I like to have a record of EXACTLY what I said. "But Mom, you said to be home at midnight!" "No, I did not. I said 11:00" "Well, I THOUGHT you said midnight. It was noisy. I misunderstood" Yeahhhh, right. Now, I just show them the text. Hee hee hee. It's cut down on that nonsense considerably.

I also use it to pass the time, waiting in line, whatever. I also like that I can send a message that isn't really important, and have a friend answer it when she has time later. I don't feel like I'm interrupting or bothering her that way.

I'm certainly not a "technology addict" like Richard describes. I don't think everyone who like their cell phone, blackberry or computer is bound for a lonely, solitary life without human contact. With ANYthing ... food, alcohol, text messaging, gambling, etc. ... almost anything used in moderation is fine. Sure, there are always going to be a few people taking it FAR to excess, and a few people shunning it entirely as "evil". But for the vast majority of us, it's just another tool.

Jessika
05-29-2007, 02:03 AM
To be honest..... if its so important that you have to text me, then call me. If you're worried that I might be at work or in school, then I either don't have my cell phone on me, or it's on silent. If I don't answer, leave a message.

I think texting is slightly pointless, too. The ONLY thing I may use it for is to "harass" my sister (inside joke stuff) or to send messages to HJ like "I love you" just to make him smile lol

RICHARD
05-29-2007, 12:25 PM
I almost PIMP a few days ago.......

Citibank and BofA announced that you can now pay your bills with your cell phone, another way to screw you outta a few cents more?

During the newsclip they did the interview with the bank official and had a few vignettes on how easy it was to walk around and pay your bills.

The last shot was of a handsome couple, sitting in what looked like an eatery.

They were both at the same table, facing each other.....

And they both were oblivious to each other.

So.......here's the rub.

Were they....

A) paying the check?

B) Texting each other on what they were going to do next?

C) Texting thier lovers, "I'm stuck in a reataurant with the anchor, tlk 2 u ltr!"

D) Texted each other so much they are now at a relationship impasse?

E) Texting a divorce lawyer?

---------------------------

POST-ITS!

Those little yellow sticky things.

I only got to see my GF on the weekends, on Sunday before I left her house, I'd write out a few, stick them all thru her apartment and see how many she could find before I came back.

I'd end up with a card or note in my case-and I'd stick it to the wall of my office.

I guess I'd have to buy a cell phone everytime I wanted to be reminded of her... :rolleyes:

-----------------

Phone call? Local and long distance charges apply!
Test message? Free!
Face to face sitdown? PRICELESS!

That and I keep my shirts relatively dry! :eek: :D

Suki Wingy
05-29-2007, 01:19 PM
So you can communicate durring class when you're not supposed to have a phone out?

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
05-29-2007, 02:09 PM
So you can communicate durring class when you're not supposed to have a phone out?

Exactly!!

I've yet to be busted, lmao.

XD

Jessika
05-29-2007, 02:29 PM
And on this note...

I found it hilarious in high school, we were allowed to have cellphones, but we weren't allowed to use them. It's like... well then, what's the point of allowing them?? The reason?? Since there was such a high rate of teen pregnancies at my high school, they decided to allow cell phones for "emergencies" only.

But what was even funnier is that, if it were really an emergency, couldn't they call the office and you could take the call there????

In college though its a little more lax -- you paid for it, you can pay to sit through class and play around on your phone and waste your money if you really want to. The professors didn't care, because they were still getting paid either way lol

RedHedd
05-29-2007, 03:34 PM
I've yet to be busted Oh, but you will be, you will

mruffruff
05-30-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm an old fogey like Richard.

I remember -not that long ago- when being at work meant you worked. When you were at school, you studied. No getting or making phone calls except in true emergencies. If you had something to say, it waited until you were out of work or school. It was called DISCIPLINE.

Nowdays, every thought has to be immediately transferred to someone else, in some way. We have diarrhea of the brain!

I am offended by:

People talking on cell phones while being checked out in a store. We complain about rude clerks, but they deserve customers to not be rude in return.

Phones ringing, answered, or calls being made in restaurants. It's an insult to the cook and tablemates. Go outside if it's really important.

Drivers with cell phones up to their ears. They often don't realize they are a hazard to other drivers as they travel too slowly for traffic, swerve in front of someone or miss lights.

When a conversation is interrupted by a phone call. Have a little respect for someone who actually is willing to spend time with you.

I don't need a cell phone. I don't think my every word is important. Of course, at my age maybe I've already said it all! :rolleyes:

RICHARD
05-31-2007, 02:49 AM
I'm an old fogey like Richard.

I don't need a cell phone. I don't think my every word is important. Of course, at my age maybe I've already said it all! :rolleyes:

FOGEY? ;)
Who am I to argue with my hairdresser? :)

dab_20
05-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Most people like it because they can talk to anyone, at anytime. I may not have time to call someone just to let them know one thing, so I text instead.

KittyGurl
05-31-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm not aloud to text. It costs to much. If I do, my dad will take away my phone for a month! :eek:

dab_20
05-31-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm not aloud to text. It costs to much. If I do, my dad will take away my phone for a month! :eek:

My dad told me if I went over my texts one more time, he'd take away my phone forever. He ended up giving me unlimited as long as I payed the low price of ten dollars a month for my share. It's 20 dollars for a family plan.

.sarah
05-31-2007, 07:36 PM
I've never text messaged so maybe my view is biased but I don't like it. I'd rather talk to someone on the phone or in person, talking through text (over the phone or internet) is so impersonal to me. I think the only reason I like forums is because it's a chance to make new friends. I also generally don't talk to my friends over AIM, myspace, facebook, etc. even though I have all of them. I generally pick up my phone and call them to talk or see if they can go out somewhere. They all generally call me too, because they know I hate talking over the internet (and would hate talking through text messages as well) ;)

RICHARD
06-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Here ya go....this applies to everyone.

In the last few weeks I have noticed men in the rest room using their cell phones while standing at the urinal.

Yep he had to tuck in between his shoulder and cheek, but he had to hold on to the phone before he washed his hands.....

I can only imagine if guys use them while on the pot-you know, to text his pals.....

Lovely.

carole
06-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Well i am a fairly recent convert and i have to say i love it, i am not as addicted as the young folk, but i am slowly getting there, it is the best technology ever in my opinion, i can text my girlfriend in the UK, my parents when they were recently on holiday in oz, keep as best track possible on my teenage daughter, lol,text my son in auckland ,it is awesome and i could not live without it now. :)

Taz_Zoee
06-21-2007, 12:18 AM
I didn't finish reading all the posts, but thought this was a funny thread to see since last night on our way to a friends house for dinner I was texting my friend. Bruce says...why don't you just call her!?!?! I said because this way I don't have to answer if I'm busy or don't want to. We ended texting for about 15 minutes. LOL But I like the answer at your convenience aspect. :D
And sometimes one of us will text...you busy? And that means the other person wants to "talk" to you. It also came in handy before I moved in with Bruce. We'd text each other throughout the day while we were working. Well, that honeymoon's over. :p

jennielynn1970
06-21-2007, 01:24 AM
Here ya go....this applies to everyone.

In the last few weeks I have noticed men in the rest room using their cell phones while standing at the urinal.

Yep he had to tuck in between his shoulder and cheek, but he had to hold on to the phone before he washed his hands.....

I can only imagine if guys use them while on the pot-you know, to text his pals.....

Lovely.

EWWWW!!!! Just the image on that one is bad! Who wants to hear someone pee while on the phone?! Unless you're into that kind of thing, that's just nasty!

And then holding the phone before he washed his hands... so there's all kinds of funky stuff on the phone, which goes back up to his face. GROSS!!!

RICHARD
07-02-2007, 07:11 PM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20070628