PDA

View Full Version : Doggie DNA ~ Sad Update Sascha PTS

kuhio98
05-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Did anyone watch the Today show today? They had a segment on doggie DNA. You can order a kit, swab your doggie's cheek and send it back. In about 6 weeks they'll send you the results.

They didn't specify the company, but I found one and ordered a kit from http://www.metamorphixinc.com/ to test on my sister's dog, Sascha. She obviously has a lot of husky in her but she hates snow. She has a curly golden beard and tail plumes. She has a short, stubby snout. Her nickname is "Little Bits of Lots of Dogs". I'll let you know when we get the results.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p6e7ef491733556ccce431b05300349c1/e95d7598.jpg

Husky_mom
05-25-2007, 01:18 PM
are these kits supposed to tell you what breed/s a dog is? if so itīs pretty neat......*going to check the web*

and what a lovely dog your sister has!!...... IMO I see husky in her eyes obviously....hehe and maybe some Rottie or Golden do you have more pics of the beauty??........ maybe some Aussie too...... what a cutie!!

k9krazee
05-25-2007, 01:20 PM
I found that site randomly this morning and was reading about it! How funny!!

Ginger's Mom
05-25-2007, 02:08 PM
I was still home when they did the segment, but I was getting ready for work, so I didn't really hear that much of it. Did they give any idea as to how accurate it is? They said they didn't or can't test for poodle? How expensive is the kit (if I am not being too nosey)? I love my little pumpkin no matter what, but I am curious to know what she is beside Eskie. I may like to do it just for fun. And I have to agree with Isabel, your sister's dog is adorable.

k9krazee
05-25-2007, 02:21 PM
It says it's $65 plus $6.95 for shipping/handling.

Kfamr
05-25-2007, 02:26 PM
I'd love to find out what my dogs are for sure however, it's cost me over $200 for all four.

I think I'll just continue guessing. :p

Suki Wingy
05-25-2007, 02:35 PM
wow. I didn't think they could tell because dogs' dna is so close. They are even the same species as wolves! I'll have to read up on this and if it really is true, I'm going to do it. I'm so sick of people expecting me to have an answer to what breeds Niņo is mixed with. I don't really care, but now that I may be able to I think I want to, just to see if he really is part dal like everyone thinks!
Here is the exact link to the product page for the kit:
http://www.metamorphixinc.com/products2a.html

I'm a bit dissapointed, they can only identify these breeds:
Afghan Hound German Shepherd
Akita German Shorthaired Pointer
Basenji Golden Retriever
Basset Hound Greyhounds
Beagle Italian Greyhound
Belgian Tervuren Labrador Retriever
Bernese Mountain Dog Mastiff
Border Collie Miniature Schnauzer
Borzoi Poodle
Boxer Pug
Bulldog Rottweiler
Chihuahua Saluki
Chinese Shar-Pei Samoyed
Chow Chow Shetland Sheepdog
Cocker Spaniel Shih-Tzu
Collie Siberian Husky
Dachshund St. Bernard
Doberman Pinscher Whippet
English Setter Yorkshire Terrier

none of the breeds I think Niņo might be part. :( :( :( :(

kuhio98
05-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Here are a couple more pictures of Sascha. She weighs about 60 pounds and is 16 years old! She howls like a wolf. She herds everyone and everything. And she gets her nose out of joint and paces and nips at you if she feels everyone isn't sitting in their "assigned" places in the livingroom. :rolleyes:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p6b0f102f4561cdeb704d7c2ca044b086/e95b24a4.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pbb8a87d433f3328174a62eb6e4929162/e95b227c.jpg

Ginger's Mom
05-25-2007, 04:11 PM
I finally got a chance to look at that website, it really does look interesting, I think I will bookmark it and check back when they have more breeds identified. Sascha sure is a cutie. I like that last picture, she definitely looks like she is trying to tell you something. It's nice to know someone is in charge. ;)

sabies
05-25-2007, 04:35 PM
I saw a segment on Good Morning America last week but they were talking more about the blood test. The blood test is more accurate and can identify over 130 breeds. They don't give a price but it will definitely be more expensive than the saliva test and it can only be done by a veterinarian.

http://www.whatsmydog.com

I definitely want to do it and will be asking my vet about it at our next appointment.

lizbud
05-25-2007, 04:57 PM
I read an article on this new DNA testing that can be done & it does
sound interesting. Apparently there are a lot of people who really feel a
need to know for sure. I'm not sure that I would ever do it though.

elizabethann
05-26-2007, 08:40 PM
I'd love to find out what Fenway was.

I can't wait till the results of your DNA test.

kuhio98
06-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Here are a couple more pictures of Sascha. She weighs about 60 pounds and is 16 years old! She howls like a wolf. She herds everyone and everything. And she gets her nose out of joint and paces and nips at you if she feels everyone isn't sitting in their "assigned" places in the livingroom. :rolleyes:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p6b0f102f4561cdeb704d7c2ca044b086/e95b24a4.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pbb8a87d433f3328174a62eb6e4929162/e95b227c.jpgI'm so sorry to say that Sascha was helped to the bridge this morning. She had a stroke and could no longer control or feel anything past her shoulders. My sister said that she somehow managed to crawl down the stairs and into the garage last night. She positioned herself between the vehicles. They found her this morning and took her in immediately. She stayed alert and kissed them all goodbye and let them all know she was ready to be reunited with Gus (her lab brother).

My sister got the DNA test last week and sent in the swab a few days ago. We'll get the results in a few weeks.

*LabLoverKEB*
06-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Oh, I am terribly sorry to hear about Sascha. This must be so hard for you poor sister. Rest in Peace, beautiful Sascha.

elizabethann
06-15-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Sascha.

(((hugs)))

pitc9
06-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Oh how sad!!!! :(
I'm so sorry.

Taz_Zoee
06-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Aww, I just saw this thread and was reading through getting all excited, because I too see Aussie in Sascha. Then I got to the end and had major tears in my eyes. I am so sorry. :(
RIP Beautiful Sascha.

Anita Cholaine
06-15-2007, 04:29 PM
This is so sad :(

RIP sweet Sascha.

crow_noir
06-16-2007, 12:39 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss. * H U G S *

Flatcoatluver
06-16-2007, 12:43 AM
I am just in tears, she looks like such a sweet amazing girl. (((HUGS to you and your sister))))) R.I.P Sascha

BC_MoM
06-16-2007, 02:22 AM
I'm so sorry about Sascha. :(

Honestly, though. I don't see Husky in her. Those could be Border Collie eyes, too. ;)

chocolatepuppy
06-16-2007, 04:47 AM
I'm so sorry about Sascha. :( May she Rest in Peace.

Cinder & Smoke
06-16-2007, 07:37 AM
:(
:(

{{{Hugs}}} of Condolence to You, Sis, and the Family.

Rest In Peace, Dear Sascha.

/s/ :( Phred

delidog
06-17-2007, 08:21 AM
I am So Sorry about Sascha
She was a Beautiful Dog!!!
Godspeed to The Rainbow Bridge Dear Sascha!!!

Freedom
06-17-2007, 12:58 PM
I am sorry to read about your Sascha. She knew many years of love and TLC, she was so special to your sister and her family.

RIP Sweet Lady!

kuhio98
07-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Today, Sascha's DNA test results came back. It looks like she will take some of the secrets of her unique genetic makeup to the bridge with her. :D

The DNA mix is broken up into 3 categories. According to the information sheet, the definition for "Primary breed category" is when 50% or more of the DNA is from a single breed.
The "Secondary category" is defined as breeds clearly recognizable in the DNA, but not predominant.
The "In the mix" category is defined as breeds identified as having influence, but in lower quantities than the "secondary" category. And the results are.....drum roll........

Primary Breed: BLANK! Ha! (So, 50% of her is still a mystery) :p
Seconary Breeds: Shetland Sheepdog and Collie
In the Mix Breeds: Samoyed and Belgian Tervuren

(I think I told you that her nickname was Littlebits of Lotsa Dogs". :D

I can't believe we didn't figure it out sooner. Belgian Tervuren info from Google: "The Belgian Tervuren has a long, pigmented double coat in a variety of colors including fawn, chestnut and black. The Belgian Tervuren is a medium size dog, ranging from 60-65 pounds in weight and is a member of the Herding Group.

As a pet, the Belgian Tervuren tends to consider household members as charges to be tended, and will often single out a specific family member to tend most closely. The Belgian Tervuren has an even temperament and is good with children."

That fits Sashca to a 'T'!

We miss her so much. I doubt that we could ever find another dog with such a quirky personality.

pitc9
08-01-2007, 07:39 AM
That's great that she took her mystery to the bridge!! :D

{{HUGS}}

Ginger's Mom
08-01-2007, 08:38 AM
I think it just proves that Sascha was a special girl that defied classification. My kind of dog. ;) RIP sweet Sascha.

K9karen
08-01-2007, 01:18 PM
I love my Little Bits of Lots of Dogs too!!! Sascha sure was beautiful inside and out, regardless. Can't ask for more! Hope you're having fun "Bridge Herding" 'Ole Girl! We miss ya down here!