PDA

View Full Version : My little glass studio....

Glacier
05-25-2007, 01:26 AM
It's actually a corner of the shop surrendered by the hubby! He even built the workbench!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/bead/glassbench.jpg
The chair on wheels and the kiln is nice and close so the beads don't get cold before they go in. It's amazing how little cooling it takes to crack them in half! The little brown box on the floor beside the chair is my oxygen concentrator. The propane tank is kept outside to reduce the chances of blowing myself up! There's a fire extinguisher too, but it's blocked by the chair in the pic. Hopefully I won't need that! The shop has great ventilation since it was designed for working on a diesel tanker truck(that we don't own anymore). If it's nice enough I can open the doors too.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/bead/homebeads.jpg
These are the beads I've made since Tuesday when I finally got everything set up, except for the dozen or so that I made today. They are still in the kiln.

CathyBogart
05-25-2007, 02:30 AM
Oooh, they're beautiful!

cmayer31
05-25-2007, 04:18 AM
That looks like a nice setup in the shop! I bet it's nice to be able to work from home and not have to rent space to make the beads.

I'm in awe that those are hand made, they look great.

dukedogsmom
05-25-2007, 05:37 AM
That is so nice. The beads are really pretty. I've watched people make them on craft shows and have often thought it would be fun to learn. If you ever make another bracelet like the one you kept for yourself, I'd be interested in purchasing one.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-25-2007, 05:48 AM
Wow! Is there anywhere I can have a look at the things you make - would love to buy something from you

Blue_Frog
05-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Ooo!! So pretty! I love your beads :D

Can your kiln do flat melting as well (to make broaches, pendants and such) using flat glass (stained glass sheets) instead of glass rods?

I'm jealous of both your kiln, and your workspace ;) I'd love to have enough room to set up my stained glass stuff here, unfortunately a 2-bedroom condo isn't the best place for it.

finn's mom
05-25-2007, 09:28 AM
I love it! what a colorful little corner! The beads are incredible!

mruffruff
05-25-2007, 12:12 PM
What a nice studio! I'm not into beads, but I could enjoy the process.

Hubby did a great job on the bench. Can I borrow him?

Cinder & Smoke
05-25-2007, 02:55 PM
W:)W!

NICE SetUp, Tamara!

"Cave Man" isn't charging "rent" for you using the corner of "his" shop, is he? :p
>> Don't burn your Finners! ;)

CountryWolf07
05-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Impressive. I like them! :) They're so beautiful & unique!

Glacier
05-26-2007, 02:29 AM
Can your kiln do flat melting as well (to make broaches, pendants and such) using flat glass (stained glass sheets) instead of glass rods?

Yes, if I take out the level with the bead door, it can be used for small fusing and slumping projects too. I don't do any of that stuff, but who knows maybe someday. Nice to have the option without buying a different kiln.

Wow! Is there anywhere I can have a look at the things you make - would love to buy something from you

Not really, but I have pictures. PM me if you'd like to see them.

"Cave Man" isn't charging "rent" for you using the corner of "his" shop, is he? :p

Not so far! ;) He is quite generous with "his" shop. His Dad carves in the other end of it.

Hellow
05-26-2007, 02:48 AM
Why dont you consider posting them in the marketplace, see who wants them. For the low, low price of $20. Walmart. Always low prices. Always!

chocolatepuppy
05-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Nice studio. The beads are beautiful.

Bengalz
05-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Awesome - how sweet of Stuart to share ;) I'm looking for the black ones .... :D may be the creation of that string of black pearls .... who knows? :D

Have fun and don't hurt yourself.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Do you do one-offs? Am looking for a unique bracelet

sirrahbed
06-13-2007, 09:15 AM
I love your studio. What an organized place to do your art :)

ramanth
06-13-2007, 10:58 AM
How nice of Stuart and what a great looking bench and work area!

How long does it take to make a single bead? :)

Edwina's Secretary
06-13-2007, 11:30 AM
I am in awe! I am a bracelet junkie. Fabulous setup....must make it so much fun to have fun...

sparks19
06-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Beautiful.

How long do they have to stay in the Kiln for?

Glacier
06-13-2007, 04:08 PM
How long does it take to make a single bead? :)

Depends on the bead. Spacers are quick, just a minute or two. The bigger focal beads can take up to 45 minutes before they go in the kiln.

Glacier
06-13-2007, 04:11 PM
How long do they have to stay in the Kiln for?

It take five hours for the kiln to run it's cycle, but the beads have to stay in until the glass cools to room temperature. The kiln heats up to 968 degrees F and ends at 700. I usually leave the beads in the kiln overnight.

Bengalz
06-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I am in awe! I am a bracelet junkie.

Sara,

I can definitely tell you that Tamara does amazing work and if you like bracelets, you simply must have one of hers. You'll treasure it as I do mine :)

Thanks again Tamara!

PS I'm still dreaming about that black necklace you're gonna create one of these fine days :D

Betty