PDA

View Full Version : need help

daisybee
05-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Does anybody have a surefire way to cut dogs nails? I Just tried to cut my 6 month old puppy's nails and managed to get three cut before I had to stop, he was getting too upset, as was I. Any suggestions will be appreciated. :confused:

Pawsitive Thinking
05-24-2007, 10:02 AM
I'd say he was a bit young for that

JenBKR
05-24-2007, 10:05 AM
The only surefire way I can think of would be to have a groomer do it

Vela
05-24-2007, 10:23 AM
He's not too young, I cut my 15 week old's nails all the time. Start by desensitizing him to it by playing with his toes and feet all the time, gently pinch his toenails with your fingers to get him used to it. Keep plenty of treats handy. Mine don't love it, but they tolerate it. You CAN have a groomer do it, but you really need to start now and work with his feet, mouth, ears, etc. So that he more readily accepts those things if he needs procedures etc. done in the future by vets or groomers. Not working with them and then expecting a groomer to have an easier time, won't really help. The dog will be MORE stressed at a groomer and having someone strange touch his feet. Just work with him with that and start slowly. Do one, give a treat, do another, give treat, etc. Do a nail a day if you have to until he more readily accepts it, with lots of treats and praise.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-24-2007, 10:36 AM
He's not too young, I cut my 15 week old's nails all the time.

How often do they need doing? I have never cut my dogs nails, do they wear down naturally?

Aspen and Misty
05-24-2007, 10:53 AM
How often do they need doing? I have never cut my dogs nails, do they wear down naturally?

When your dog walks on a hard surface there should be no noise. So if you hear the click click of there nails then the nails are too long. You may not be able to get the nails to a proper length at first only because if you don't take care of a dog's nails like you should then there quick (the part that bleeds if you cut to short) grows too long for the nails to be cut to a proper length. I have heard that if you start takeing proper care of the nails the quick will recede and the dog's nails will gradually get shorter. Long nails can also lead to many health problems such a early hip dysplasia because the dog has to walk improperly in order to adjust to the longer length of the nails.

I cut my dog's nails every 4 weeks and they stay at a healthy length. However I have heard that if the quick is long you should trim your dog's nails every 2 weeks. I was told this will make the quick draw back and the nails to go back to a normal length. (I have never tested this theory though, however everyone says it works)

I would have your dog's nails looked at by a vet, it is rare for dog's to be able to keep the nails naturally worn down to a length that doesn't cause them issues or discomfort.

Ashley

Pawsitive Thinking
05-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks for that. I don't hear their claws when we are out but I will have a look at them when I get home tonight.

pitc9
05-24-2007, 12:15 PM
The first thing I tell anyone that gets a new dog or puppyis to get get and Keep them used to having their feet touched and held!!

Sierra was about 6 months old when I got her and I started right away but had no problem with her, she's very calm about a lot of things. Buddy was already a year old and I doubt he'd ever had his nails cut, it took quite a while to get him to let me cut his nails but now it's not a deal a all!
I (Try to :o ) cut their nails every 2 weeks or so.

Just work in baby steps with your pup, a little at a time.
Also, "special" nail triming toys or treats work well too! My sister gives her husky a kong that is only given to her while her nails are being trimmed.
Make it a Happy Time!! :D

Muddy4paws
05-24-2007, 12:53 PM
I cut nails everyday, Make it fun! We had a puppy in today that didn't like his nails done he was only 4 months old so they way I did it was do one nail then plenty of hugs and kisses then move on the next one. Yes it took along time! :o :D Build up their confidence and dont make it something they will grow to hate. Make sure you only cut off the tips of the nails too especially if hes very nervous you dont want to risk cutting off too much and causing him to have a fear about them being done.

If you dont feel you can do them why not ask a groomer? They are used to nervous dogs and will take their time to ensure its done carefully.

Freedom
05-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Some clippers come with a nail guard, which prevent you from cutting too short and hitting the quick. That is what was suggested for me when I got Sugar last December.

Here is just one example (happens to be the one I bought)
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444178 0098&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033731&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1180046749727&itemNo=3&Ntt=nail+clippers&In=All&previousText=nail+clippers&N=2

Sugar is a small dog, just 12 pounds, so this is perfect. I have cut the wuick, both times I was at fault. Once I moved the guard aside to clip more; and the other time I clipped three times. Well, duh!

I usually cut her nails one every 4 weeks. I can tell when I hear her click - click - clicking on the kitchen floor that it is time to cut them. She does NOT like having them done. She lays on her back on the sofa and I clip a few. I spread it out over a few days to get through all of them, she looks so sad eyed when I'm doing it!

Taz_Zoee
05-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Hmmm, Zoee just went to the groomers last week. And as I'm reading this thread I can hear her nails clicking on the floor as she walks down the hall. It sounds like it's only one foot though. I guess I'd better get some good sharp clippers. I think all the ones we have around here are old and dull.
Thanks for the tips, and for starting this thread. :D

crow_noir
05-24-2007, 09:40 PM
ditto

He's not too young, I cut my 15 week old's nails all the time. Start by desensitizing him to it by playing with his toes and feet all the time, gently pinch his toenails with your fingers to get him used to it. Keep plenty of treats handy. Mine don't love it, but they tolerate it. You CAN have a groomer do it, but you really need to start now and work with his feet, mouth, ears, etc. So that he more readily accepts those things if he needs procedures etc. done in the future by vets or groomers. Not working with them and then expecting a groomer to have an easier time, won't really help. The dog will be MORE stressed at a groomer and having someone strange touch his feet. Just work with him with that and start slowly. Do one, give a treat, do another, give treat, etc. Do a nail a day if you have to until he more readily accepts it, with lots of treats and praise.

Giselle
05-24-2007, 09:53 PM
While you're at it, try a Dremel or a similar nail grinder. I can tell you - I've had to cut many dogs' nails with the clipper and I hated all of them. I hated the scissors type and I despised the guillotine type. They both made me stress because I was so terrified of quicking the dog (which I did a few times).

With the Dremel, I can grind a little bit every day which makes it easier for the dog and me. Plus, I've never quicked a dog with a grinder and I don't think I've heard of anybody doing so. I'm sure it's possible, but it's more difficult and I hear the heat cauterizes whatever bleeding may occur. That said, the noise is something you need to desensitize your dog to so, in essence, it's more work in the beginning. But the end result is a very short, rounded nail you simply can't get with a clipper.
http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html

CathyBogart
05-24-2007, 11:36 PM
With Jasper, I'd trim one nail, then give him a piece of a hotdog, then a break for 10 minutes or so to play before I tried the next. Sometimes I couldn't do all of them in one day. Eventually, he got a LOT more tolerant of the process.

k9krazee
05-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Ditto for the dremel! We just bought one about a week ago - and I already like it 10x more than the clippers! But that's another issue entirely..

Just be patient, make it fun and in time your pup will get better!