PDA

View Full Version : Time To Move On?

elizabethann
05-23-2007, 11:21 AM
So after the deaths of my 2 best friends, Maxie & Cosmo, it's been very hard for me to think about getting another cat. It just breaks my heart that I'll never see them again. My apartment has been very quiet. Though I think Fenway is enjoying all the extra attention. But he still goes into the kitchen looking for kitty leftovers.

Anyhow, I saw this ad on craigslist and just sent an email inquiring about it. A part of me hopes the cat is already spoken for. I don't know why. Maybe it's too early to move on? I just don't know. I wish I had a book of answers.

How long did you wait before getting another cat?

http://nh.craigslist.org/pet/336668841.html

Husky_mom
05-23-2007, 11:27 AM
I donīt have cats, but in my case with dogs...... you are the only one who will know when itīs time...... you just feel it...... for me sometimes when a dog died I felt the "urge" to get another one, not sure why but I just felt it, thatīs how I got Ninja.....I never regreted it but it may have been too soon for others as Ranma (the RB) just passed a few days before........and other time it may take you a while longer....when my Phantom died I was left with China and Ninja and although I wanted to get another one so bad as I felt with a blank but still this day I havenīt as I havenīt fel "it" maybe I just havenīt found "the" dog....... for me I know I could not live without dogs.....they are my life and I donīt feel like Iīm replacing the ones that just went to the RB, but that īs just me I need to have a canine companion and they sure help heal......you have your mind on them and not the pain......because pain will always be there but you can think of your pet in a happier way having that "someone" to cheer you up........

Pawla
05-23-2007, 11:28 AM
I lost my cat on March 5th. I still had Squeak to come home to, and I was so glad. I would have to get one immediately! I would not have been able to come home without someone here. Good Luck with your decision, but I personally hope you get the cat. I believe it will help. :D

kittycats_delight
05-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Someone told you to enquire. You may not know if it is too soon or not but your babies know. There is a reason for everything. If he is spoken for then your babies decided it was not the right kitty for you but if he is not then I think they are telling you that you need this kitty.

After my Mytsi passed away I waited almost a year, after Lilith passed we were moving so it was not possible to take another but I wanted to right away. Then Micia my husband's cat here in italy passed and about 2 weeks later we got Phoenix. There is no time interval. Your RB babies will send you the right kitty when they feel it is time. Be that now or in a year. They know and will send you the right one for you. :)

Michelle

krazyaboutkatz
05-23-2007, 11:30 AM
He sure looks adorable and he sounds like he has a wonderful personality too.:) I think that I waited about a month before I adopted another cat after my Pepper had to be put to sleep. If it's meant to be then he'll become yours. Good luck.:)

kuhio98
05-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Halo was adopted a month after Kuhio died. I thought that was too soon, but Bobcat was ready. It turned out to be just what I needed. Halo's kitten fur soaked up many a tear those first few months.

Maybe it would help to not think of it as "moving on"? What does that mean? Your babies will always be a part of your life. Yes, they're not physically here anymore, but they are in your heart forever.

A friend said something that helped me. Think of love as the flame of a candle. Use that candle to light others and keep the flame going.

Sevaede
05-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I agree. Only you will know when you are ready. :)

Our Tier died exactly three weeks before my birthday in '05. On my birthday, my boyfriend (then, now husband) and I had just arrived back to our apartment for my birthday supper. On the steps was a tiny, injured, malnourished, dirty kitten. He looked almost exactly like Tier. We took him in and that cat is our meow-less Soni Bunny. :D (medium haired tuxie boy)

Freedom
05-23-2007, 04:21 PM
That depends on SO many things, most of which remain a mystery to me after all!

When my Amber died, even though I had other cats, I thought I'd "never" get another cat. It was over a year before a cat crossed my path and stayed.

When Dazzle died, I had other cats and thought I'd wait a bit. Just 3 weeks later, Crystal entered my life, a scrawny action packed 2 pound terror. (we STILL call her the "Terror on Four Paws," she's a calico. :rolleyes: )

So I've decided that I just never know. Good for you for asking about this kitty. Either way should be great news; either he already has a home, or he is getting one with you!

Queen of Poop
05-23-2007, 04:57 PM
You will just "know" when it's right. Your heart and your brain will commisserate and agree. It will be like magic.

doolittleky
05-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Everyone one is different. Some have to have one right away and some people take more time. There is no "right" answer. I think you will know when the right time is. Also if you feel the right time is now. Kt_luvs_kitties has a few fosters that she has been looking for good homes for. maybe you can pm her. She really needs to find home for these fosters.
Melissa

catmandu
05-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Actually I have always had at least one Cat.
After Pouncer passed on Mr Scrappy was only alone for a few weeks and Michael came.
After that is history and more Cats.
You will know when the time is right for another Companion.

G535
05-23-2007, 06:54 PM
It's a little over two months since Finnigan died and I have just this week started looking at the local shelter cats but only on the web site. I have always had a cat around but they all found me, I'm not really used to the idea of going out and finding a cat.

Russian Blue
05-23-2007, 08:46 PM
It's been almost 4 months since Nakita passed and I can't imagine getting another cat anytime soon. I'm fortunate that we're currently renovating the house which will delay getting a cat since I don't think (for me) getting a cat now would be the right choice.

But I totally understand the silence. I miss everything 'cat'. The house feels like a shell without a feline in the house. I almost wanted to run right out and get a cat so the house wouldn't feel so empty and silent. But, that would have been a mistake for me.

I think you need to deal with your emotions so that if a new cat enters your life, there will be no guilt or resentment towards the new feline. Listen to your heart, it will tell you if you are ready to accept a new one into your life.

Good luck with both your heart and your journey on finding the right companion. :)

Taz_Zoee
05-23-2007, 09:11 PM
A friend said something that helped me. Think of love as the flame of a candle. Use that candle to light others and keep the flame going.

That is beautiful, and along the same lines that I was thinking while reading this thread.

As everyone has said.....your heart, Maxie & Cosmo will let you know when the time is right. It varies with all different people. There is no wrong or right when it comes to this decision. We only went three weeks without DJ (dog) before getting Zoee. And if/when (god forbid) Taz goes to the bridge, I'm pretty sure I'll go out and safe another kitty. Of course that's easy for me to say, I'm not in your situation.

Listen to your heart.

elizabethann
05-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Thanks for everyones kind words.

I haven't heard back from the "free kitty" person.

I'm a little bummed but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I will find another kitty someday.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-24-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm a little bummed but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I will find another kitty someday.

Or another kitty will find you when the time is right ;)

Vermontcat
05-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Elizabethann, I'm so sorry that you lost both of your beloved kitties in such a short time.
I can understand the emptiness you feel without a kitty in the house.
I think there is no harm in looking, sooner or later the right kitty will come along needing you as much as you need him.
I think you will know when it is the right kitty and the right time.
Sending hugs your way. :)

elizabethann
05-28-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm so mad. I never heard back from the woman who posted a free cat on Craigslist and I just saw that she RESUBMITTED the ad! I can't believe it!

This time she says she'll be bringing the cat the SPCA if nobody replies. I feel like I've been slapped in the face.

Medusa
05-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Sounds like a challenge to me. ;) I think now you're really wanting this cat. Everyone is different but I'd keep trying w/this woman if I were you. When my dogs Charmin and Daisy died, my heart ached every time I thought of getting another dog. It was though I was being disloyal to them. Silly. Then my injured little cat Peeka appeared along w/her brother Boo and countless rescues and 8 cats (that I didn't home) later, the rest is history. I think you're ready. Go for it! I'm rootin' for ya! :)

vinjashira
05-29-2007, 02:11 AM
I'm so mad. I never heard back from the woman who posted a free cat on Craigslist and I just saw that she RESUBMITTED the ad! I can't believe it!

This time she says she'll be bringing the cat the SPCA if nobody replies. I feel like I've been slapped in the face.maybe she never got your email or any other emails - maybe there is something wrong with her email. Perhaps you could give her a call instead?

CultureJunky
05-29-2007, 03:34 AM
I have fortunately never been in a position of that 'emptiness' but I'm sure you'll know when the time is right. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have that hole where there is a gap, but by getting another cat to love and give it a happy life must be so fufilling and help the grieving process. You'll be making another kitty's life so happy :)