PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for a Christening gift

catnapper
05-23-2007, 10:06 AM
A good friend is having her daughter Christened this weekend. We will not be able to attend the ceremony thanks to a baby shower earlier the same day but will be able to make the party.

The little girl just recently turned two years old, so its not an infant being Christened. I figure tons of people will be getting her a child's Bible, a cross necklace, earrings, etc. so I don't want to even think of getting anything like that. What is a good gift to get? We need it to also be in the $20 or less price range since we're still trying to get our finances in order.

Any ideas? We haven't been to a Christening in years so I have no idea what people give! I'd feel awkward to go with nothing in hand, especially since we'll be missing the actual dedication ceremony.

emily_the_spoiled
05-23-2007, 11:25 AM
When they are that old, how about a gift card to Barnes and Noble? They always have a great kids section with a play area and everything. This way the little girl can "participate" in picking out the gift.

catnapper
05-23-2007, 11:31 AM
I hate giving gift cert. because 1) I fel its means I couldn't take the time to figure out the right gift myself and 2) because I don't want anyone to know what I really spent.... I am a champion bargain shopper and have been known to get a $60 gift for just $15. I never have, and never will give a gift card.

But I like the book idea. :)

emily_the_spoiled
05-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Then get her some books instead. I also hate giving gift certificates, but I gave one to my nephew a couple of years ago as a birthday gift (at a book store). He just LOVED it :D Last year I gave both him and his sister a gift certificate and they went on a "date" with the oldest sister and had a fun evening. So you never know what will peak their interest.

Craftlady
05-23-2007, 11:50 AM
A nice childrens book is good idea.
If you dont know what to get, give a donation to childrens charity in their honor. Charity donations amounts are kept secret to receiver, all they know is donation was made to that charity.

I love gift cards (giving/receiving). When I give one, I pick a store/resturant etc that the person loves to shop or eat. It's the thought that counts NOT the amount I'm giving. Normally that amount will "help" towards the meal or shopping experience.
When I get one, I love it. Normally it's my favorite store "Michaels Craft Store" and I can get all sorts of things for $20 dollar gift card or less. Sometimes it goes towards 1 item that I might want to get or a bunch of stuff on clearance.

Freedom
05-23-2007, 12:53 PM
A US Savings bond! A $50 bond costs about $27.50. When it matures, which will be about the time she turns 16, it will be turned in for $50.

You need to ask the parents for HER fulol name and proper spelling name, and if they don't mind HER social security number. Or just put it in her name and your social and have the parents go in to their local bank to change the social. That's what I usually do; the parents are good about getting the social changed.

At 2 years old, she isn't going to notice if Auntie X gave her paper instead of a book or toy; she will be getting lots of that stuff to occupy her.

Karen
05-23-2007, 02:24 PM
A book with a matching stuffie - not necessarily the kind the store packages together, as they tend to be way expensive, but a bunny story and a stuffed bunny ... bear story and stuffed bear ... or, if they have a CD or tape player, a lullaby tape/CD and stuffie.

Muddy4paws
05-23-2007, 03:38 PM
What about a personalized build-a-bear if you have one near you, you can record your own message, Not sure of the price though I only understand pounds :o