PDA

View Full Version : FIRE! but we're all okay

phesina
05-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Hello everyone, I was not able to get on line for 10 days... FIRE in my apartment a week ago Friday.. kitchen was a shambles, and the rest is a big mess.

MOST IMPORTANT THING: ALL US CATS AND I ARE ALL RIGHT!

Power was off until this past Friday, and there is so much stuff piled around the computer I couldn't get near it.. I finally made a path through this evening.

Now I have a ton of stuff to catch up with, and I am way behind with things that have been happening here. Just wanted you to know we've missed you but we'll be around!

Love,
Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and Priscilla Angel

Karen
05-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Thank heavens you are all okay! Thanks for checking back in.

Pawla
05-21-2007, 05:31 PM
THANK GOD EVERYONE IS FINE!! I live in an apartment, and fire is a constant worry of mine! I'm so afraid something will happen when I'm not here and they won't be able to locate Squeak! :eek:

moosmom
05-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Phesina,

VERY relieved that you and the furkids are okay. Thanks for checking in with us!

rg_girlca
05-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Thank God that everyone is okay. That must have been so scary for everyone.

My Poppy boy sends his Poppy girl headbumpies and kisses. :)

Medusa
05-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Jeez Pat, I'm glad all is well now and that you and your furkids are ok.

krazyaboutkatz
05-22-2007, 12:30 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this:( but I'm glad that you and your cats are all fine.:) I hope that things will get back to normal for you soon. Please take care.

critter crazy
05-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Oh My!!!! I am so glad that you and the kitties are okay! How terrifying that must have been!:eek:

momcat
05-22-2007, 07:53 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about the fire and am extremely relieved to know that you and your sweet kitties are all okay! Do you need anything? Is there anything we can do for you? Your PT friends are here for you!

Pawsitive Thinking
05-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Eeeek! Glad you are all okay

phesina
05-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Dear Karen, Pawla, Moosmom, Lorraine, Mary, KAK, Crittercrazy, Eileen, and Brody'sMum, many thanks for all your good wishes and offers of help. The apartment maintenance people still have a bit of work to do to finish up.. some painting in the kitchen still needs to be done and checked for bleeding. And until that's all done, I can't really put things back in the kitchen except for stuff that goes INSIDE the refrigerator and cabinets. Stuff going on shelves or the floor has to wait.. so it's all still in the living room for me to crawl over. And the cats are still staying in the bedroom until this is all done.

But I am so thankful over how LUCKY we were.. The cats and I are all fine, and we lost nothing treasured or irreplaceable. All the rest is just a big nuisance and mess that we will get through sooner or later.

Everyone, do you have working smoke detectors? If you don't, GET THEM AND INSTALL THEM AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!!!!

I went out for about an hour and a half, then came back to find all this devastation. Fire had started in the kitchen (tiny kitchenette), smoke filled the apartment .. which set off the smoke detectors. Fire department responded IMMEDIATELY.. broke in when they found no one was home.. put it out before it got beyond the kitchen.

Cats hid in the bedroom, where I found them scared but safe and sound.

I shudder to think what would have happened if the smoke detector hadn't gone off.

Thanks again so much for all your caring and support and love.

Love,
Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, and Elmer, and Priscilla Angel busy beating her wings to blow the smoke odor out

catmandu
05-22-2007, 05:33 PM
I Am Sorry That I Missed This Thread. I Dont Know How I Missed It, But Things We Hope Are Settled Now.
A Fires So Scary Not Only The Flames But The Smoke And The Fear That The Fireman Would Let The Found Cats Out Would Terrify Me.
We Are So Relieved That You And Your Cats Are Safe And Well.
We Are Praying That You Are Back To Normal Soon.

todd
05-22-2007, 08:49 PM
wow sorry

phesina
05-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Thank you, Gary and Todd. Things are getting slowly back to normal. I can't put the rest of the stuff back in the kitchen until they've finished the painting, and I'm keeping the cats in the bedroom until that's done. But we're all fine, and that's what is important.

The kits are all getting ready to go party with the gang around Niagara Falls!

Kirsten
05-24-2007, 12:52 PM
How scary!! Fire is one of my biggest fears also, especially when I'm not at home and the kitties are alone here and helpless!!

I'm very glad to read that nothing happened to you and the cats! You must have been so relieved when you found them safe!! That's the most important thing, but still... Facing all that damage (and all the work ahead of you) must be frustrating.

How did the fire break out? Will the insurance pay for the damage?

Hope things will soon be back to normal for you!

Kirsten

Scooter's Mom
05-24-2007, 01:21 PM
I am so sorry about your fire. I know firsthand how devastating it can be.

In December 1994, my apartment caught fire due to the neighbors upstairs (long story) and at the time I had three kitties. A lady from across the complex who I'd only talked to maybe 3 times in the year and a half we'd both lived there came into my burning apt. building and rescued my two youngest kitties... then came back looking for me and the oldest kitty!

It's a scary thing to happen - even worse when you have kids of any kind to worry about!

Thank goodness you're all alright.

KittyGurl
05-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Oh WOW :eek: That had to be so scary for you and your furbabies. Thank god you and you kitties are okay.

phesina
05-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Thank you, Kirsten and Scooter's Mom and KittyGurl. Yes, I am so grateful that we came out of this so well. Scooter's Mom, did the neighbor find your oldest cat? I hope so much that you both got out okay, after the two younger kitties were rescued. Kirsten, long story on how this started, I'll tell that one later when I have more energy..

I still have loads of stuff to put away and/or reorganize, I still can't put the rest of the kitchen stuff back until after the painters finish, which they are supposed to be coming NEXT TUESDAY to do (holiday Monday in USA), and I need to move more stuff out of the way so they have a wider pathway to the kitchenette. And there's still a huge cleanup. Most of this I have to do myself and pay for myself.. part of the long story I'll go into later..

I let the kitties out in the living room this evening for a while. Poppy made her usual leap from the top of the computer to her supervisory perch on top of the bookshelf.. then tried her usual leap down to the computer and then the table.. but since there is now all this stuff piled up on the table that still needs to be put away, she sent some crashing to the floor! They're back in the bedroom, where they all headed themselves after they took a quick look-around here and didn't like what they found.

Again, thanks everyone for all your good wishes and thankfulness on our behalf. We love you all!

Love,
Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and Priscilla Angel

AbbyMom
05-25-2007, 09:30 PM
That is so scary! I'm so glad everyone is OK.

phesina
05-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Thank you, AbbyMom! We were most fortunate.

Pat and cats

sandragonfly
05-27-2007, 07:47 AM
:( it's not a good feeling when you came home to fire! yes, most importantly you all are okay(!) but still am sorry this happened - it could have been much else worse.

I've had fire striked us twice (one at my apartment and at catsitter's house), also my apartment collapsed nearly in half last year. with all of these happenings, I now dread coming home and find it okay, especially when I'm out for the weekends.

I hope that won't happeen to you, or us again! or anyone else too. let us know if you need any grant cat toys, supplies, clothes or anything. ((((reassurance hugs and stritches)))) to everyone.