PDA

View Full Version : The Cutty Sark

Pawsitive Thinking
05-21-2007, 04:37 AM
This is so sad

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6675381.stm

Lady's Human
05-21-2007, 11:38 AM
For those of you who are unfamiliar with sailing vessels, Cutty Sark is not a whiskey brand, when launched it was the pinnacle of the clipper ship. The loss of this vessel would be a tragedy, as it is the surviving clipper built for the China trade. (there are others in existence, but they don't have the history she does)

In their day clipper ships were the fastest ships in the world, capable of more than 18 knots, an incredible speed for a wind driven ship. They carried tea from China, and were responsible for the economic growth of the west coast of the US.

Thankfully the ship is not destroyed, as it has a cast-iron frame, but the restoration will cost far more now than it was supposed to.

Lilith Cherry
05-22-2007, 01:15 AM
I cried when I heard this on the news. Cutty Sark is a wonderful piece of history! I hope she can still be restored. :(

Killearn Kitties
05-22-2007, 03:19 AM
I was horrified when I first heard this, but restoration was already under way on the ship, and about 50% of the original fitings had already been removed apparently.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-22-2007, 04:31 AM
I was horrified when I first heard this, but restoration was already under way on the ship, and about 50% of the original fitings had already been removed apparently.

Fortunately 50% of the fittings seem to be at Chatham and the wrought iron frame hasn't been too badly damaged.