PDA

View Full Version : Butterflies!

tuxluvr
07-14-2002, 08:09 AM
I recently got the "flower bug" and put a ton of pots and plants on the backyard deck.....I'm excited because now the butterflies have come!

Take a look

AmberLee
07-14-2002, 11:31 AM
Wow! Gorgeous!!!!

NoahsMommy
07-14-2002, 09:20 PM
How neat!!!

On the Fourth of July my mom (who has the biggest green thumb) came over and taught me how to plant things without killing them...so sad...anyway, we got two plants that attract hummingbirds and butterflies...no butterflies yet (most likely because of the bird feeder directly above the plants)...but we've had a few hummingbirds! It is so neat to have living plants and all that goes with it!!

What do you have planted there???

tuxluvr
07-14-2002, 09:36 PM
Noah's Mommy - the plants and flowers were my birthday present....when I asked for this I think my spouse thought I was nuts - I'm not the "green thumb" either as a rule, but these have turned out really well.

I bought a whole bunch of different kinds, some did not have names on them...I had to ask my "plant friends" at work what they were (sent them digital pictures)..

I have a ton of petunias, white, dark dark purple, pink & white and purple & white striped, and a fancy type that is lavendar with dark purple veins. They are pretty inexpensive and pretty hard to kill (In fact, in a garden setting they can almost be a pest)

I also have white phlox, geraniums, impatiens, moonbeam coreopsis(looks like a dill plant with little yellow daisies---this is what the butterfly sat on), fan flower, black eyed susans, and cover called wormwood that has a silvery look and a fresh herbal scent.

A friend gave me some bee balm, which is supposed to attract hummingbirds and butterflies.

The phlox is really aromatic...we have also had hummingbirds...it's been really calming. i also put a hammock out there...We are in the midwest, so these will have to be "wintered" in a garage, but all but the annuals should come back next year...

Ritz is also enjoying the added critters to her favorite "tv" screen(the patio window)

:D

Logan
07-14-2002, 09:50 PM
Great pictures!!! I love butterflies.........unfortunately, so do Honey and Lilly :o .

krazyaboutkatz
07-14-2002, 11:22 PM
That's sure is a beautiful butterfly. I love them too but don't see many of them. I do see quite a few hummingbirds though. :)

Ann
07-15-2002, 05:30 AM
Wow, that is so cool!

I haven't seen many butterflies so far this year :(

Edwina's Secretary
07-15-2002, 02:36 PM
There is also a Butterfly Bush that has very pretty flowers and attracks butterflies. It winters outside in Chicago. It just needs to be cut all the way back in the fall as it grows on old wood.

I've had one for a few years and it does bring on the butterflies!

I also planted bee balm this year. What pretty flowers. It attracks butterflies but bees too :eek: :mad: (Perhaps I should have figured that out from the name????)

tuxluvr
07-15-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
There is also a Butterfly Bush that has very pretty flowers and attracks butterflies. It winters outside in Chicago. It just needs to be cut all the way back in the fall as it grows on old wood.

I've had one for a few years and it does bring on the butterflies!

I also planted bee balm this year. What pretty flowers. It attracks butterflies but bees too :eek: :mad: (Perhaps I should have figured that out from the name????)

I know...the bees did come to all the flowers, so far nonehave become aggressive to thegardener

Well, bees gotta buzz, birds gotta fly, cat gotta watch at the window!

koxka
07-15-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by tuxluvr

Well, bees gotta buzz, birds gotta fly, cat gotta watch at the window!

That's a good one:D :D :D :D

Koxka:cool:

NoahsMommy
07-15-2002, 05:05 PM
So pretty!! Your moonbeam coreopsis is so pretty! I wonder if it would grow over here..I'll have to check with "Head Gardner, Mom".... :)

We went to the nursury this weekend and got a pretty purple flowered plant, a tomato plant and some jalapeno plants (those are for my hubby...:eek: ). Hopefully they wont die... :)

Noel LOVES to go outside with me while I water and she LOVES to chomp on the ferns and my rose (:eek: :eek: ). She has to go back in the apartment when she does this..but she enjoys it so much....I have to tell her to give the plants at least a fighting chance from mommy.... :)

tuxluvr
07-16-2002, 09:20 AM
Noah's Mommy,
I don't know why Moonbeam Coreopsis wouldn't grow in California, but as I recall from my traveling days, there are many varying climates in California--not sure if they would weather the drier places.. - they are perennials here, so apparently they handle harsh winters and come back fine....I do water all plants daily when there is no rain.

I learned yesterday that these also come in a variety of colors, pink, whites, purple, variegated.....now I'm on a hunt! I just love the look - they are what my spouse calls "the happy plants" - the little flowers almost look "suspended" in mid air and shimmer in a breeze...like they are giggling.

I've never let Ritz out (ok, there was that one time she snuck out and hid under the deck just out of reach, returning filthy, but obviously VERY pleased with herself). I know she is just obsessed with the outdoors and can't understand why we can go out and she can't!

tuxluvr
07-16-2002, 09:25 AM
Here are a few shots from the deck..the coreopsis flank the stair entry...they look much better now that they've established, this picture was taken the day they were all potted.

AmberLee
07-16-2002, 01:48 PM
Lovely! I SO admire your green thumb.

:o :( My brain was really out of it just prior to the surgery. I totally forgot about the mini herb garden that I got as a Valentine's gift this year. Came home to a totally dead mini-garden. Trying to revive/replace what I can prior to my sister's visit (who gave it to me in the first place)... I was going to ask you to wish me well, but perhaps you should wish the herbs well. ;) :rolleyes:

lovemymaltese
07-16-2002, 01:52 PM
How neat is that, I just love butterflies.

tuxluvr
07-16-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
Lovely! I SO admire your green thumb.

:o :( My brain was really out of it just prior to the surgery. I totally forgot about the mini herb garden that I got as a Valentine's gift this year. Came home to a totally dead mini-garden. Trying to revive/replace what I can prior to my sister's visit (who gave it to me in the first place)... I was going to ask you to wish me well, but perhaps you should wish the herbs well. ;) :rolleyes:

Well, I'm not sure I'm the best "charm" for your herbs...my history with houseplants would have me on death row if there were a crime for killing off green leafy things. (I'm rehabilitating well, though, with African Violets)...that being said, these outdoor beauties are just thriving, despite my shady agricultural past! :) (and I grew up on a farm! You think I'd be a natural)

Ihad herbs last year in a pot too, but didnt' really plant and care for them properly. Still, had some interesting chives of different flavor.

AmberLee
07-16-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by tuxluvr

Well, I'm not sure I'm the best "charm" for your herbs...my history with houseplants would have me on death row if there were a crime for killing off green leafy things. (I'm rehabilitating well, though, with African Violets)...

Hee, hee, hee. Perhaps we may wind up in adjoining cells?

As far as I'm concerned, you have a great green thumb and you are funny, too! ;)

Edwina's Secretary
07-16-2002, 04:08 PM
Shall I send Edwina to help?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid23/p8abc71f75b01cb57f8b4446ea4b29a9d/fd9d10fe.jpg

Checking out the herb garden.....

AmberLee
07-16-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Shall I send Edwina to help?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid23/p8abc71f75b01cb57f8b4446ea4b29a9d/fd9d10fe.jpg

Checking out the herb garden.....

And just yesterday I was saying that Pink was Edwina's color ... She is STUNNING in Blue , too. What can I say, obviously the girl has such a flair?

And she's good with herbs, too, as the camera doesn't lie... :D