PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you'd win the lottery?

Kirsten
05-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Seeing my savings constantly wane, I often dream about winning the lottery. Stupid, I know, but you can still have dreams, right?

Anyway, there are some things I would like to do if I had more money.

If I would win 10,000 Euro or so, I would save the most of it (and enjoy the feeling of not having to worry about things breaking, like my car, or my pc, or about vet bills etc.). But I would spend some money on a nice cat room. They already have a room where they have their scratching posts and their food, but I would love to make a real cat paradise out of it, a playground like those you sometimes see in cat magazines. I would love to have something like that for my girls!

If I'd win a real lot of money, like several millions (which will never happen LOL), I would like to use the money to help animals in need. I would love to have a house to foster cats, and maybe I'd take courses to become a cat behaviorist and therapist. I'd really like to do more for animals than I do now.

What would be your dream if you'd win the lottery?

Kirsten

Bengalz
05-20-2007, 11:08 AM
I would enjoy more quality time with my kitty, my husband and family, my home and my community. Having worked all my life and still do, it would be so nice to have the freedom to choose what I do with my time. I don't need millions to make me happy, just time and the comfort of knowing that finances are not an issue.

Kristen, it is nice to dream :D

Daisy and Delilah
05-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Helping pets in need has to be the best choice of all. After that....pay off all my bills and share with family and friends. Travel if there's anything left. :)

caseysmom
05-20-2007, 12:14 PM
I would retire and travel.

RedHedd
05-20-2007, 12:26 PM
First: Pay off all my bills
Second: Get all my medical and dental stuff taken care of, including a few nips and tucks here and there ;)
Third: Buy a home, condo or townhouse in San Francisco and a vacation home in Hawaii, all with special accommodations for the fur kids.
Fourth: Travel!
Fifth: Buy a hybrid new car.
Would I quit my job? Maybe .... I really enjoy what I do, so perhaps I'd go part-time.

caseysmom
05-20-2007, 12:35 PM
I would probably buy some really nice rv so the furkids could travel with me. Of course this would be put on hold for a couple of years so I could get my kids through high school.

Whisk_Luva
05-20-2007, 12:55 PM
1: Give money to the charity my parents set up (My sister is mentally handicapped and they set up a charity for her condition)
2: Get a dog and hire a trainer :D
3: Give some to animal charitys
4: Give some to SOS Childrens villages (charity) - give some personally to my sponsered child
5: Save the rest- you never know when you might need it.

Zippy
05-20-2007, 02:49 PM
1.give money to my God
2.give money to my family
3.give to bi-polar research and mental illness research
4.give some to animals chartiys
5.buy a house
6.get a pair of spiny mice and another cat
7.save some

CathyBogart
05-20-2007, 03:02 PM
I would pay off my debt and get another dog, maybe a rescued pug.

critter crazy
05-20-2007, 03:07 PM
If I won any type of Lottery, I would firstly place at least half of it in an account for my boys. Depending on how much got, I would buy a nice piece of land, with plenty of acres, and build a nice house. If there was any left over I would put it away in a savings account, a safety net.:)

mike001
05-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Help my kids
Put some away in case of furure need.
Open the biggest no kill shelter for animals that I could.

Hellow
05-20-2007, 03:41 PM
1. Donate to Animal Charities and my local Humane Society
2. Buy myself a new computer
3. Buy a house
4. Buy 2 Parrots and a Golden Retriever
5. Save the rest

buttercup132
05-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Move out of my house to some where hot like California.

Open up my own no kill shelter. It would be a luxury shelter. Then on the side of that I would attach a grooming salon to up the chances of the dogs to get adopted and I would be the groomer.

Get my Great Dane (who would come to work with me all the time) and get a Halflinger and Arabian. And a couple other rescue animals.

jackie
05-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Buy my mom a house, buy myself and the boy (and the pets!) a house, buy the inlaws a house.

Donate to the shelter where I got the puppers from.

And if I had any left over I would TRAVEL!

k9krazee
05-20-2007, 04:37 PM
The only thing that I know I would do RIGHT AWAY is pay off college, who knows what I'd do with the rest! Probably buy a house with lots of land, that'd be nice and help my parents pay off all of the bills.

sparks19
05-20-2007, 04:43 PM
If I won millions I would.....

Take care of our families.... especially our parents.

put money away for our kids.

never work again lol

buy a house with A LOT of land.

do some travelling.

lizbud
05-20-2007, 04:58 PM
If I won, which I won't, cause I don't play the lottery, I would pay off
all debts & buy land to build a big house. in the country.

I'd adopt a least two more dogs & give money to animal rescue groups.

lvpets2002
05-20-2007, 05:06 PM
:) Buy a Big New House & Car & Lots New Cat Furniture & cat & dog toys.. Bunch of Treats & Food.. Then Build a Big Local Animal Shelter & donate what I could to all rescue services..

Hellow
05-20-2007, 05:36 PM
That too for me, with my other post.

Alysser
05-20-2007, 06:13 PM
1.)Get another dog
2.)Buy a normal-sized house, nothing huge with a nice peice of land. Pay if off RIGHT AWAY.
3.) Save it for college
4.) Pay off my parents mortgage and stuff.
5.) Donate to Deborah hospital, the one that saved my life, animal shelters, and breast cancer research
6.) Redo my room over POTC if I was still a kid. ;)
7.) Set up an account in the bank as a safety net for myself, my parents, brother and sister. Something like joint account.
8.) I am buying a car! :D hybrid car that is. :)

9.) Maybe if I have enough left over I would go on a Disney cruise with my family or if they didn't want to come invite some close friends and a couple of pt'ers... ;) how does that sound to you guys? :D :p We'd go to the bahamas, key west, the caribbean, and best of all their exclusive private island that has the REAL POTC ship on it. Then go to some of the disney parks with some close freinds and PT'ers. ALL of it my treat.

THEN...
Me and Sassy would go to Europe and all around the world. Ah, I love to dream. We'd go to France, Italy(visit Michelle ;) ), England(visit zara ;) ), and Canada(visit alicia and blue_frog)and way more people.

carole
05-20-2007, 06:40 PM
I guess i would buy a bigger home with everything i wanted in it, cat fencing the property would be the first thing i would do,and i would have a hydrotherapy spa, i would give all my family money,and invest a lot of it, so i would never have to worry about money ever again, and i am sure i would help all my friends out, and give some to charity, or start my own kitty shelter.

A world trip would be on the cards, first class, as i have trouble traveling, that would be the only way i could manage it,first stop would be the land of my birth Scotland. :)

buckner
05-20-2007, 11:20 PM
I'd first pay back my parents for everything. They've spent a lot on me, especially with this last year of college. But, in the 19 years of my existence, I don't even want to imagine how much they have spent! :eek: So, even though they don't need the money, I would pay them back for everything.

Second, I'd buy them a piece of farm land in some of the best parts. They want this land, but they don't want to pay the price. So, I'd buy the land for them so they could start building their log cabin.

I think I'd then travel... not sure where.

Lastly, I'd tie up a lot of the money in cd's that would mature and make some decent money off of. I'd continue to live off of the interest. :)

luvofallhorses
05-20-2007, 11:42 PM
I would donate a majority of the money to the shelter where I volunteer.

move out in the country and get a few horses.

buy my parents a new house and buy my brother a new house, too and a new car for him and my parents and I would build a misunderstood dog rescue and get a lifetime supply of chocolate and a new wardrobe. plus my pets would get anything they want, too. :D

:)

sandragonfly
05-20-2007, 11:59 PM
divide the lottery by 50 - then get on hot balloon, travel over each center of state, spread them out and watch them falling.

and have my partner down there camrecord the chantings of cheers. :D

Jessika
05-21-2007, 03:01 AM
Half of my winnings (or half of my monthly/yearly installments if that's how I chose to receive payment) would go straight into a high-yield savings account or CD that I could not access for at least 10 years.

Then I would use whatever was left to help pay off my debt, my parents' house, my parent-in-law's house and cars. Then I would probably buy a new car, and depending on how much I won.... buy stuff for my close friends and family (like if they needed a car, or down payment for a house, whatever).

Move out to the country with at least 15 acres of land, build my dream of owning a kennel and when I become a vet operate from my own home as well as run a boarding facility for cats, dogs, horses, etc.

And donate a lot as well to random organizations and charities.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-21-2007, 05:04 AM
I'd stop work pronto! and then concentrate on enjoying the rest of my life debt-free

lizbud
05-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Talk about winners. One woman from Ohio won 1 million dollars. :eek:

Indebted Mom Finds $10, Buys $1M Lottery Ticket
Woman To Take Cash Payments Over 20 Years

POSTED: 8:54 am EDT May 21, 2007

NORTH CANTON, Ohio -- A deeply-in-debt gas station clerk found a $10 bill, bought the last lottery ticket on a roll at the store where she works and wound up a millionaire, and it's not a movie.

It really happened Friday to Kristina Schneider in North Canton, Ohio.

She said she always jokes that the last ticket on a roll is the winner, and she even tried to persuade a customer to buy it, but he only had enough money for three tickets.

Then the single mother with nine maxed-out credit cards and $8,500 in debt for her associate's degree bought it herself with a $10 bill she had found in the store. It turned out to be a winner in the Magnificent Millions lottery game. Schneider promptly locked the store while she went to the restroom to be sick.

Schneider said she's still numb.

The 32-year-old woman said she'll take 20 yearly payments of about $34,500 after taxes. She said a lump sum payment would have left her "broke again in five years."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

animal_rescue
05-21-2007, 11:16 AM
If I won a huge amount I would.

1. Thank God this happened to me!
2. Put a bunch away
3. Buy my parents a house
4. Buy me a house with lots of land
5. Spoil my pets
6. Start an animal sanctuary and shelter

pitc9
05-21-2007, 11:19 AM
If I won millions and millions I'd:
*Pay off my debts along with all my family members debts.
*Give money to local animal shelters.
*Buy 25 acres or so and build my dream house with attached 8 kennel indoor/outdoor runs and acres and acres of fenced in land.
*Build a shelter on my property and open my own rescue.
*Buy trailers/campers to make into mobile spay & neuter units for local shelters to have.
*Put money away for my neices and nephew for college.
*Travel with my family, first would be an Alaskan cruise!!

If I won a smaller amount I'd pay off my debts and buy land to build a new house on.

theterrierman
05-21-2007, 11:39 AM
1. Move out of my parents house and buy a nice place in B.C.
2. Open up a huge no-kill dog shelter.
3. Put a recording studio in my basement.
4. Buy a drumkit, nicer guitar amp, bass guitar and bass amp.
5. Adopt a Staffy, a Beardie, and two Airedale Terriers.
6. Open up my own music store.
7. Buy a fully-loaded Accord Hybrid, and a massive panel van for my dogs and music gear.

Suki Wingy
05-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Put enough away for college and a car, buy land and a custom house, buy a really nice horse and compete at a top level. Then I'd put the rest away.

davidpizzica
05-21-2007, 04:05 PM
I guess i would buy a bigger home with everything i wanted in it, cat fencing the property would be the first thing i would do,and i would have a hydrotherapy spa, i would give all my family money,and invest a lot of it, so i would never have to worry about money ever again, and i am sure i would help all my friends out, and give some to charity, or start my own kitty shelter.

A world trip would be on the cards, first class, as i have trouble traveling, that would be the only way i could manage it,first stop would be the land of my birth Scotland. :)
Carole, how about a stop in Pittsburgh and we can have a mini PT meeting and I can show you the sights?

KitCat
05-21-2007, 04:34 PM
I was at a breakfast restaurant that doesn't take gredit cards and a woman and I observed an elderly woman rooting around her purse to find enough cash. The woman next to me said, "I wish I would win the lottery and I could help people that need money." I thought about if I won the lottery I would be obsessed about getting out of debt before I even thought about anyone else and I said, "I hope you win the lottery." And I still do!

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-21-2007, 04:40 PM
If I won the lottery someday, I'd buy a moderate sized house (big enough for me, a few dogs, and guests) on about 5 acres, with quite a few trees and a pond. I'd give some to my parents and brother. Depending on the amount I won, I'd probably never work again. I'd also get another dog. I'd travel to a few places and after that, I'd save what was left.

Argranade
05-22-2007, 07:57 AM
I'd buy a toucan & take my friends all over the place with the money.

I'd also go to many concerts.

smokey the elder
05-22-2007, 10:50 AM
1. Pay off my and my SO's debts.
2. Make sure my mom and grandmother are in the best possible quality assisted living.
3. Set up a perpetual trust for my rescue group so they can FINALLY buy a shelter.
4. Set up a perpetual trust for the care of my cats after I'm gone.
5. Endow a scholarship at RPI.
6. FINALLY renovate my house. :D
7. Spend about 3 months traveling 1st class around the world.

Kalei
05-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Well depending on how much I won, I would firstly buy myself a house and move out of my parent's place, then get my current car all fixed and spoofed up. Then I would buy my dad a truck and also maybe try to start my own business, possibly a shelter that never ever puts animals to sleep unless it is necessary too because of health reasons.

Sirrahsim
05-22-2007, 12:27 PM
let's see 10,000 Euros is about $20,000, right?? If we won $20k we would pay off our van, furniture, and credit cards, put a little into savings, and buy a ton of diapers :rolleyes:
If we won in the millions we would
-pay off all of our debts/family member's school debts and stuff
-buy ourselves a nice plot of land and build our dream house on it
-put aside money for our boys to go to college
-put a few million into a savings account and live off of the interest

Hubby would go stir crazy if he didn't have a job so he'd probably keep working even if we could afford not to.

king2005
05-22-2007, 12:28 PM
I would have to wait to cash my ticket in as I'm in bankruptcy & they'll take 1/2 of everyting I make over 1700.00/month... I'm not interested in sharing that much of the winnings lol.. after my 9 months, I'd cash that puppy in Would put a nice credit on all my bills (like cell phone, tv, internet), pay off my car, then get my car fixed (NO I don't want a new one, I like my car), but I might buy a 4x4 SUV to go off roading in. I'll pay off all my dads debit so he can have a life for once. I'd pay of my sisters schooling, prob help my friends go through college, as they are working their butts off trying to be able to afford school. I'd buy a cottage in PEI & near Verner, a house here in Toronto, one in Ottawa, one in sudbury... Then I'll prob end up quitting my job & party with my friends a lot (partying doesn't mean drinking, we do a lot without drinking). I'd have to have a paintball field set up & other fun things.

I wouldn't get more animals, as I don't want that many. I like 1 rescued dog, a couple fish & my turtle...

I would build my turtle a kick butt pond in a more natural enviroment (clear water is a must), I'd have huge goldfish & other pond things. The pond would be completely fenced in as I'd rather not have wild animals eatten by Axle or have him eat people lol Sure its a free meal, but... heheh its not good lol

Oh & I'd travel all over the world with my friends. traveling alone is boring.

catnapper
05-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Not sure... but I bought a ticket this morning so I'll let you know tomorrow when I win tonight ;)

cassiesmom
05-22-2007, 08:48 PM
If I won a zillion dollars... after the IRS and the state claim their share ...

Family - help mom & dad buy an accessible home
help nieces & nephews

Animals - I'd give back to the shelter where my cat came from - they are always behind on veterinary and other bills. Fund Pet Talk animal emergency "stash". I think I'd like to endow a scholarship for veterinary hematology and oncology to train more docs to treat conditions like k9soul's Raven and Reachoutrescue's Lady.

Health - contribute to whisk_luva's foundation for developmental disabilities and with Zippy to mental health research.

Where I live - I'd move out of my building with its numerous structural worries and buy a house.

I'd take a road trip to visit Glacier and hug her dozens of fluffy doggers.

dukedogsmom
05-22-2007, 10:55 PM
First, get out of Florida! Then, decide where to live and start a dog rescue and doggie day care place. Then, go to Tiffanys in New York and really have some fun!
I'd help out my family with things they would want and throw a big party in the Bahamas for the people at work.

Marigold2
05-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Oh my gosh how fun would that be. Well lets see. I would set up trust funds for the kids. They wouldn't be able to get the money till they are 50.
I would buy homes in England, Seattle, Australia and Switzerland. Would live in Switzerland six months out of the year to get the tax benifit
Build a huge no kill shelter. Give tons of money to animal shelters.
Have some plastic surgery.
Travel between my homes.
And build a childrens hospital.
Oh I would also pay for birth control for low income people.

Kirsten
05-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Well, facing already the third heatwave of the year and a lot of humidity, I just realized that I forgot to add something to my list:

Air condition for my flat!!

Kirsten

joycenalex
05-23-2007, 07:19 PM
if i won any serious amount of money, it would make job reviews easier :D ;) :eek: :D

Twisterdog
05-23-2007, 07:20 PM
I would save most of it so I could be pathetically lazy for the rest of my life. ;)

I would buy a wonderful, new house on lots and lots of land somewhere warm, and move my parents there as well.

I would buy some ridiculously impractical cars.

I would spoil my children.

I would help worthy charities.

Glacier
05-23-2007, 09:39 PM
I always giggle when people say they'd keep working! The absolute first thing I would do is email in my resignation letter and hire someone to clean out my office(and I actually like my job).

I'd invest enough that I could live off the interest and not worry about a "real" job ever again.

I'd buy a couple hundred acres of land in the middle of nowhere with my critters and I'd have kennel help! Custom build a house and kennel. I'd do sled dog rescue on a larger scale.

I hate to travel so I'd be staying close to home, but I'd bring my family up here regularly. I'd help my family if they needed it. I'd make sure my neices can all get PhD degrees without student loans if they so desire.

I'd kayak in the best boats money can buy! I'd melt all sorts of glass into all sorts of beads(dream home would include a seperate glass studio building). I'd ski and hike and bike......I could find all sorts of ways to occupy myself if I didn't have to work to pay for it all!

Bengalz
05-23-2007, 09:49 PM
I always giggle when people say they'd keep working! The absolute first thing I would do is email in my resignation letter and hire someone to clean out my office(and I actually like my job).

I love this!!!! Mind if I shadow you (just in case I win a lottery, that is)

I'd buy a couple hundred acres of land in the middle of nowhere with my critters and I'd have kennel help!

Bet you'd have a lot of PT's applying for this position!!

I'd kayak in the best boats money can buy! I'd melt all sorts of glass into all sorts of beads(dream home would include a seperate glass studio building).

Hmmmm I better win some kind of lottery so I can afford to buy more of your stuff!

Tamara, your formula sure works for me - did you buy your ticket today??