PDA

View Full Version : CT Legislature trying to pass a bill...

moosmom
05-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Making it perfectly okay for the DOA (department of agriculture) to do unannounced inspections of any homes they suspect of running a shelter (shelter=5 or more cats). It will allow them to do a search of a home WITHOUT the benefit of a warrant, anytime they THINK the laws are being broken.

It will also put aside $40,000 for spaying/neutering of all strays/ferals (not alot of money when you think about the number of strays/ferals).

I, along with others I know in rescue in CT, are going to the state's capitol to speak, to try and convince them that it violates our constitutional rights to privacy.

Any thoughts on this???

jackie
05-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Don't know the whole story, But would this be targeting "hoarders" who think they are helping animals, but are often unable to cope.

It seems to be for the protection of animals, or no?

moosmom
05-18-2007, 03:08 PM
I can very well understand the thing about hoarders. But we're talking about people's right to privacy in their own homes. There has GOT to be a better way.

lizbud
05-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Donna, do you know the bill number? I'd like to read the proposal.

Freedom
05-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Donna, do you know which bill this is?

I found 4 bills related to feral cats, lw cost spay neuter programs for low income households. But I didn't locate the part about the iinspections.

How would they decide on 5 as the number of cats? Do you have a state limit on cat ownership? Here in Rhode Island, that s done by the city /town. My city limits you to 3 dogs, no limit on cats. The next town over limits you to 3 cats, 5 dogs (go figure).

This is all I could find:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgasubjectsearch/subbills.asp?subj_code=100522

moosmom
05-18-2007, 06:16 PM
It's Senate bill 1080

Here's the link:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/FC/2007SB-01080-R000574-FC.htm

lizbud
05-18-2007, 06:39 PM
I don't think I'm reading it to mean the same as you do. Their defination
of a "shelter" is:

") "Animal shelter" means a facility used to house five or more animals for the purpose of rescue, protection or adoption and that is owned, operated or maintained by a person, organization, partnership or corporation devoted to the rescue, welfare, protection and humane treatment of such animals;"

Puckstop31
05-18-2007, 06:39 PM
When you live in one of the most liberal states in the land.... You should not be surprised.

I wish you luck in your fight.

Grace
05-19-2007, 11:22 AM
When you live in one of the most liberal states in the land....
Which was once one of the most conservative - think Guilford v. Connecticut.

As for the Senate Bill - I tend to see it the same as lizbud. It does appear to be geared toward shelters as opposed to individuals.