PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know if Tupperware fumes are toxic???

moosmom
05-18-2007, 12:42 PM
I was making mac & cheese a minute ago and turned the burner on to boil the water. Like an ass, I turned on the back burner where I had put a tupperware (pretty old one too) casserole dish. A few minutes later I smelled something awful. I caught it early but the smell made me nauseous. I've got all the windows open and the ceiling fan going. I'm just worried that the smell might hurt my babies.

Anyone know???

JenBKR
05-18-2007, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't worry, if tupperware fumes (or anything else that might burn in the kitchen) were toxic my poor babies wouldn't have lasted a week in my house :o

Edit: I should mention that once I was cooking in the oven and hubby's hard plastic lunch box was on the burner where the oven vents. I left the kitchen and returned quite a while later to discover that I had completely melted hubby's lunch box. It stunk something awful, but we're all still ok ;)

moosmom
05-18-2007, 12:58 PM
JenBKR,

Thanks. That's good to know.

I wouldn't worry, if tupperware fumes (or anything else that might burn in the kitchen) were toxic my poor babies wouldn't have lasted a week in my house

ROFLMAO!!!

critter crazy
05-18-2007, 01:00 PM
I have done that quite a few tims Myself. One of the things That I dont like about My flat surface stove, sure the cleanup is easy, but darn it all it is too east to turn the wrong burner on!:rolleyes: :D Hubby says that the Smoke detector, is not there to tell me dinner is ready!:p

JenBKR
05-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Hubby says that the Smoke detector, is not there to tell me dinner is ready!:p

It's not? :eek: Then how do you know when dinner is done? :p

Whisk_Luva
05-18-2007, 01:17 PM
What she means by that is the smoke detector goes off way to early! The foods still under cooked! You have to wait until the food is black and has turned into ashes! DUH! Everyone knows that :D

Cinder & Smoke
05-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Hubby says that the Smoke Detector
is not there to tell me dinner is ready! :p

:D

Hubby be right on! ;)

Heating (or :eek: Burning) Tupperware, or any other Plastic item, to a high enough
temperature that it gives off fumes or an odor ~ releases a whole chemical lab of strange and often dangerous chemical mutations - aka Bad Stuff!

MOST Plastics are stable and harmless at room temperatures, but above 125* to 150*
(degrees F) - they start to break down into often unknown and hazardous gases and fumes.

A FEW plastics are designed for high temperature use (cooking or baking) -
but they are always marked as being safe to a specified temperature.
The average Tupperware item is NOT safe at stove-top temperatures.

moosmom
05-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks Fire Marshall Phred. This type of tupperware IS okay for the oven and microwave, but not on the burners.