PDA

View Full Version : Prince Harry stays at home

Pawsitive Thinking
05-17-2007, 04:16 AM
Turns out he's not going to Iraq after all.......can see both sides to this.

The troops out there have enough to cope with without having to babysit the Ginger One but on the other hand if he can't do what he is trained to should he have been allowed to join up in the first place??

jackmilliesmom
05-17-2007, 04:36 AM
Is this definite I heard that Charles does not want him to go but that he wants to - seems like most of the Royal's seem to get that treatment join an armed forces regiment and overnight become a LT, SGT and so on but once there the ordinary joe has to go out and take their place on the battlefield.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-17-2007, 04:54 AM
Some top bod made the decision

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6663053.stm

jackmilliesmom
05-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Oh! I see, kinda silly really when they are supposedly put through this kinda training to serve their country when its paid for by the tax payer and then its all wasted because they cannot fight or do anything useful with their training!!!!

mugsy
05-17-2007, 08:29 AM
I thought it was a stupid idea in the first place. Why put his comrades in more danger than they already are. Harry is just a red headed target! Those psycho terrorists will look for any reason to target someone and what better coup than to hit a British royal?

jackmilliesmom
05-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Yeah but there are other red heads out there anyway so he would not be the only target and yes I get the point but really how would you feel if you were paying high taxes just to train someone who never did their job - oops sorry you do that for your president already.

ALRIGHT that was catty but think about what a waste of time and money there are no means to justify the end here.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-17-2007, 08:40 AM
or do anything useful with their training!!!!

or do anything useful - period!!!

moosmom
05-17-2007, 09:11 AM
if he can't do what he is trained to should he have been allowed to join up in the first place

My sentiments exactly. When I first read that Harry was in the British Armed Forces and would possibly go to war, I laughed. I knew there was no way they were going to allow him to go to Iraq.

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-17-2007, 10:44 AM
I agreewith you all; but I understand that he would bring all other soldiers in danger.... . He would attract all Iraqese like a magnet...!
But why not send him on other messiles?

JenBKR
05-17-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm not really all that surprised, I kind of doubted he would have gone to war.

Lady's Human
05-17-2007, 11:49 AM
He is evidently getting deployed to a theater other than Iraq. Given the current tactical situation in Iraq, it makes sense, though I could think of some mis-information advantages to sending him to Iraq.

Miss Z
05-17-2007, 12:08 PM
The troops out there have enough to cope with without having to babysit the Ginger One

Haha, that made me LMAO :D .

I can understand why there are concerns over deploying him into a warzone, but really, we are doing the very same everyday to many other mothers' sons. Just because Granny doesn't have a palace doesn't make their lives more practical to waste.

If Harry actually wants to go and fight, which I think he does, then let him. As jackmilliesmom said, people pay taxes for our armed forces. It just doesn't seem to right to pick and choose who to send out and who can train for a bit, get a pretty certificate and then sit on their backsides.

lizbud
05-17-2007, 05:12 PM
I can understand why there are concerns over deploying him into a warzone, but really, we are doing the very same everyday to many other mothers' sons. Just because Granny doesn't have a palace doesn't make their lives more practical to waste.

I would bet that Harry feels the same way. He wants to go, but it's not
up to him to make that decision. He doesn't want to be seen as a wimp.

Lady's Human
05-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Saw on the news today that Harry will be deployed, just not to Iraq.

From a military standpoint, it is an understandable position. His presence on the battlefield would be a distractor for his unit. Due to his status he would have to have a large personal security detail, and that would detract from the unit as well.

Given the current tactics being employed by the enemy, it is a wise choice. I could think of ways to capitalize on his presence, but it wouldn't be too politically correct.

Cinder & Smoke
05-17-2007, 07:31 PM
If Harry actually wants to go and fight, which I think he does, then let him.

It just doesn't seem to right to pick and choose who to send out
and who ... sit on their backsides.

Problem is, whilst 3rd in Line to be King Prince Harry is "enjoying the fight" ...
he puts all the other soldiers around him at greatly increased risk of death or injury.

Prince Harry will be a TARGET that every loose screw, radical, terrorist, and wanna-be hero
will be looking for and attempting to capture or kill. :eek:
It's not fair to the others in his unit to increase their risks just to satisfy
Prince Harry's desire to "look good" to the Kingdom.

One Prince in battle won't win the war ... why put so many others at increased risk
to satisfy his ego?

/s/ Phred

Pawsitive Thinking
05-18-2007, 04:09 AM
I could think of ways to capitalize on his presence, but it wouldn't be too politically correct.

Do tell!! ;)

Miss Z
05-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Problem is, whilst 3rd in Line to be King Prince Harry is "enjoying the fight" ...
he puts all the other soldiers around him at greatly increased risk of death or injury.

Prince Harry will be a TARGET that every loose screw, radical, terrorist, and wanna-be hero
will be looking for and attempting to capture or kill. :eek:
It's not fair to the others in his unit to increase their risks just to satisfy
Prince Harry's desire to "look good" to the Kingdom.

One Prince in battle won't win the war ... why put so many others at increased risk
to satisfy his ego?

/s/ Phred

I don't think Harry wants to 'look good', rather he wishes to serve the nation, as is his royal duty, of which he could potentially be the monarch. In a warzone, I would think that wherever you are you are potentially at risk, accompanied by royals or not. Now I'm no soldier, but I presume that it would be difficult to tell Harry apart from other soldiers wearing the same uniform, from a distance at least. I agree, though, that it would put pressure on his regiment and they would have to be constantly on the move to avoid being spotted and targetted.

Still, I suppose by now the matter was a done deal, there's been so much media hype about the whole thing that they might have well put a map with a big 'X' to represent the prince in an Iraqi newspaper. ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
05-18-2007, 03:48 PM
I think Harry is a victim of his birth. He seems to be basically a good bloke who wants to do what he can but had the misfortune to be born into "that lot" (there goes my OBE)