PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Advice Needed!

kohala
07-13-2002, 05:23 PM
My apartment STINKS :eek: of fish!
Grasshopper was treated to some salmon which she returned (upchucked) on the (very cheap) carpet in the hall two days ago while we were at work. It was cleaned up, but yesterday I smelled fish throughout the place when I got home, and Dadcat said it was from that spot. He was right! It's discolored again, but the worst part is, the whole place reeks of fish!
I just cleaned with full strength Rug Doctor carpet cleaner, the spot is pretty much gone, but the fragrant memory still lingers on. UGH! :eek: :o :eek: :o :eek:
HELP - Any suggestions on what gets rid of kitty processed fish smells? I am sure her belly acids have contributed to the staying power.
I still love my cat, but . . . . .

tatsxxx11
07-13-2002, 05:49 PM
I have found "Nature's Miracle," an enzyme based pet cleaner, to be the BEST product to eliminate pet realted odors, or any odor for that matter! All Pet Marts and most supermarkets carry it. Just follow the directions. (You have to let it soak in for a while!)

popcornbird
07-13-2002, 06:23 PM
Uh oh. Sounds like there's a problem! :eek: Well, from my knowledge, I know that sprinkling baking soda onto the stinky part of the carpet, helps to absorb the smell. Try sprinling baking soda on the carpet, leave it there for 1 - 2 days. Then vacuum it and clean with a carpet cleaner (Resolve is a good one). I haven't tried this with Kitty smells (I don't have a Kitty) but it worked for other terrible odors from other things. I can't guarantee that it'll work for your problem, but I think its worth a try. It worked very well when our carpet stunk so bad we couldn't breathe. What happened was a little girl came to our house and stuffed the toilet with tissue paper (I mean like stuffed the whole roll in for fun). She was only two years old. Then she flushed and flushed and flushed and the toilet got so clogged that all the stinky water started pouring out of the toilet, flooding the bathroom, and went out onto the carpet outside the bathroom door! And it STUNK!!!! It was a disaster! LOL! But she was so cute! Anyway, the baking soda worked for that and we used Resolve after vacuuming it two days later. That really freshened the carpet and gave it a lovely smell! :D I think it might work for your problem as well. Give it a try!

sasvermont
07-13-2002, 07:17 PM
One alternative is to cut the spot out and replace it with the same carpet from a closet or under something.......you will certainly get rid of the smell that way. You may need to remove the pad as well.

I would certainly try what the other folks suggested, first, then as last restort, get out the carpet knife!

Good luck.

P. S. I never serve fishy stuff to my cats cause I hate the smell both before and after....ahemmmmmm. So they get chicken, turkey, beef etc. but never any fish.

kohala
07-13-2002, 07:38 PM
I sometimes wonder about Dadcat - after the fishy-barfy episode, he actually suggested last night we give her some left over Salmon Patties! As if it wasn't gag-ya enough that I ate 'em (they're usually really good - fresh salmon and lots of herbs & spices, etc. Brag Brag) but -- Grasshopper???? DUH! Guess who was the one who said "Give her that fatty salmon skin, it's good for her"? And guess who is doing the cleaning?
Think he better stick to Corvettes and Appaloosas!!!!!
Oh well, off to Wally World for more baking soda and then to Petsmart right next door for "Nature's Miracle". And then, if all else fails, carpet surgery!!!! ;)
Thank you, PetTalkers! Love to you and your furry and feathered friends

krazyaboutkatz
07-13-2002, 09:14 PM
I've heard that sprinkling salt or lemon can also cut fishy odors. I know it works on your hands. Good luck. :)

sammi
07-13-2002, 10:41 PM
Lemon juice might be the thing. Can also try mouth wash ( toothpaste works better) as this works well for urine smell. REALLY!