PDA

View Full Version : Fires, fires everywhere

Pam
05-16-2007, 05:06 PM
I just can't remember a time when there were so many fires in so many different locations. Now, in addition to the Georgia/Florida fires, New Jersey is fighting a big one. I am south of the fire location in NJ but it is still out of control, being only 30% contained. People who have been evacuated from their homes are living in their cars with their pets, as pets are not allowed in shelters. We are getting some rain now so hopefully it will move north of me and help the firefighters. :eek:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=local&id=5304746

lizbud
05-16-2007, 05:25 PM
What a tragic situation for those people. :( Where would they go?

Karen
05-16-2007, 05:45 PM
I was thinking of you, didn't know how close you were to the fires ... I am glad you are safe. We are having torrential rains at the moment - it just took me 90 minutes to go about 20 miles - and so I hope they get some rain down there as well.

Cinder & Smoke
05-16-2007, 08:16 PM
New Jersey is fighting a big one. (Fire)

People who have been evacuated from their homes are living in their cars with their pets,
as pets are not allowed in shelters.

:eek:
WHAT??
:mad:

I thought the Clowns in Washington just passed a law ALLOWING Pets into shelters??

Or does that Federal allowance not have any effect on "State" shelter management??

Time for a Change in New Jersey!
:(

Kfamr
05-16-2007, 11:01 PM
My mom said the fires are so bad that Simba and Nala aren't allowed to stay outside for long periods of time. :( There are no fires near our home, however, the smoke is so bad it's hard to see she said.

Daisy and Delilah
05-16-2007, 11:54 PM
It's been pretty bad not far from here. We've had about 7 days total of thick smoke. It was surreal :( I wouldn't leave the girls out for long either. I guess Lake City is still having problems. Alot of those people were evacuated.

Pam
05-17-2007, 05:14 AM
:eek:
WHAT??
:mad:

I thought the Clowns in Washington just passed a law ALLOWING Pets into shelters??

Or does that Federal allowance not have any effect on "State" shelter management??

Time for a Change in New Jersey!
:(

I don't know about any laws Phred, but the reporters on TV have been interviewing lots of folks in cars with their pets. One 89 year old man really got to me. He was living with his cat in his car and said "you've got to do what you've got to do."

I agree with you about NJ needing a change. Lots of them! :rolleyes:

You folks in Florida are also on my mind. This is just crazy with all of these fires.

Edit: Our fire is getting pretty much under control due to all of the rain we had last night. Hope your Florida folks can get some rain!

Logan
05-17-2007, 07:56 AM
No rain to speak of in the south, at all. We are basically in "drought" mode. :( I live in the NW corner of SC and we had smoke from the Georgia fires, over 400 miles away, yesterday. I didn't smell it, but I saw it, and Helen said she did smell it. We really need to pray hard for the people fighting these fires, the animals and wildlife who have been killed or pushed out and the people whose lives have been affected. It is just awful. :(

Pam, I'm glad you're safe.

king2005
05-17-2007, 09:56 AM
I hope for the best... Please keep safe everyone! :(

Our weather is interesting, but not deadly (to my knowledge). 2 days ago we had crazy rain & hail! Some reported as being a large as golf balls. Ours was about the size of marbles, so my car survived that. But I couldn't let my friend bus home in that, as I know he doesn't wear a hat, so i drove to his work & drove him home. Then I left at 1am & enjoyed the rain going home :P

mugsy
05-17-2007, 12:26 PM
I just read it and it's now 70% contained thanks to 1/2 inch of rain last night.

beeniesmom
05-17-2007, 06:52 PM
It's been pretty bad here.
The air is so thick with smoke you can't see very far.
It's raining ashes. My car is covered in them in the morning.
I wish it would rain here. A nice hard long rain..... :(

RICHARD
05-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Years ago we had some ash storms and smoke clouds so bad the sky was yellow for about three days.

You cannot explain to anyone that hasn't lived thru it.

--------

Today a freeway was shut down in both directions dut to three dear that wandered down from the area that burned in Griffith Park last week.

They were all tranked and moved! And, this all happened during rush hour!

Now you can laugh at the stupid Southern Californians....We drive thru the highest gas prices, but stoip for Deer! :D