PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing "buttock" against the floor

trihok
01-01-2001, 10:54 PM
Hi! did anyone of ur doggie experience in rubbing/scooping her/his "buttock" against the floor??

my 4mth old puppy did it quite oftenly ...initially we find it funny but start worried when she do it quite ofently..

is the "buttock" itchy or is a type of illness or...???

please help 8 (

carrie
01-02-2001, 04:55 AM
In a puppy this young it is probably caused by a roundworm. Go to the vet and get some advice and medication for worming the pup. Older dogs that do this often need their anal glands expressed as they have become blocked.

AdoreMyDogs
01-02-2001, 06:49 AM
Some dogs need their anal glands expressed, as Carrie suggested, while other dogs express them theirselves when they poop. My pug needs her anal glands expressed on a regular basis, or else she stops walking on her feet, and begins to only scoot on her rear to get around the house. It's funny to watch but it's also pretty grose. If it's not parasites, have your vet show you how to expell the anal glands yourself so you don't have to take the pup to the vet to have it done every time if you wanted.

trihok
01-02-2001, 07:21 AM
thanks for the reply...

carrie, i dun thk is cos by roundworm cos have just deworm her last week. i thk is more to anal grands... what's that??

AdoreMyDogs, u mean u have to expell the anal glands for ur pup everytime?? How to??

carrie
01-02-2001, 08:15 AM
Anal glands are scent glands situated on either side of the anus. They are usually emptied of their secrection as the dog passes a motion. They can become blocked if the dog is fed very soft or low fibre food. If left untreated the secretion can become infected and painful in the extreme. Get your vet to check them and show you how to express them. It is an easy process but must be done properly to avoid stress and injury to the dog. I think it is unlikely in a four month old puppy though so get your vet to check the worming treatment you are giving the pup too.

[This message has been edited by carrie (edited January 02, 2001).]

ownerof3dogs
01-02-2001, 02:27 PM
Here is a gross story about anal glands

My dog Hercules's anal glands always fill up and make him really itchy. well I had to bring him to the vet(no big deal I work
there http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif)and he bent down to look at his anus and sqeeze out his anal sacks and when he lifted his tail a stream of anal fluid shot in to his face and all over his shirt http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif
oh my god did it smell really bad. I thought it was funny but he didn't. He had campany waiting for him at his house

Joan
01-03-2001, 09:10 PM
It maybe anal glands. Please see a vet.

*BaSim*
01-13-2001, 01:44 PM
My dog does that all the time my neighbor (a vet) says he has hemeroids that make him itch so he does that she said to put some peperation X on it and that will help it

------------------
*.:;BaSim;:.*

dog/crazy
01-13-2001, 02:54 PM
I think this is caused by anal glands. Although most people think it is worms that cause this, my vet says that it is usually anal glands. My spaniel had it and if not cleared every so often it can cause a disgusting smell.

Because my dog does not eat much the dog says it was the worst she had saw in such a small dog.

bubbles
01-14-2001, 11:43 PM
she is problly cleaniing her self she night have worms u can by some at wal-mart for puppies also she might just have a habbit some dogs do that

------------------
carly bentson

jojazza
01-20-2001, 01:39 AM
This behavior, often called "scooting", is a sign that your pups anal glands need to be expressed. A vet or groomer needs to do it for small dogs. Large dogs usually find a way to do it themselves. The glands are under the tail but actually quite different than the other elimination processes. Have your vet explain. It is important to do, as the glands can become infected. Good luck!

Originally posted by trihok:
Hi! did anyone of ur doggie experience in rubbing/scooping her/his "buttock" against the floor??

my 4mth old puppy did it quite oftenly ...initially we find it funny but start worried when she do it quite ofently..

is the "buttock" itchy or is a type of illness or...???

please help 8 (