PDA

View Full Version : Cat Show -- revisited!

AmberLee
07-13-2002, 02:05 AM
Hi all,

Wolflady (Karen T.) and I are talking about attending another Cat Show. TICA (The International Cat Assn) is holding one -- with a Gatsby theme, what fun -- Sat. 20 Jul and Sun. 21 Jul in Pleasanton, CA. Here is an excerpt from their flyer:

What Can You See at Our Cat Show?

200 Pedigreed and Household Pet Cats on Exhibition

Maine Coons, Persians, Siamese, Abyssinians, Devon Rex,
Japanese Bobtails, Sphynx, Bengals, and many more breeds represented

Adoptable Cats and Kittens from Tri-Valley Animal Rescue

Special "Adoption Rings" at Lunch Time Each Day
to Present Adoptable Cats to the Audience

20 Vendors Selling Cat Supplies, Cat Trees, Jewelery,
Clothing and Much More

When: July 20-21, 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM
Where: Exhibition Hall, Alameda County Fairgrounds, Pleasanton, California.
Parking: Enter the Fairgrounds at Gate 8. For map and directions, click here.
Admission: $5/Adults, $4/Seniors, $3/Children, $12/Family of 4 (up to 2 adults and 2 children)

For More Information, Call 925-846-3858 or email

We haven't worked out all the details yet, but tentatively are planning on car-pooling. Wouldn't it be :cool: to have a mini -'Pet Talk' get together there?

Note: last time there was a $5/car parking fee, too.

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-13-2002, 02:31 AM
I would love to go to a cat show....
I know Tinky would win one hands down , I can't enter her though because she is declawed... OH WELL!!:)
Hope yall have a good time!!

Uabassoon
07-13-2002, 03:05 PM
I'm going to my first cat show in Sept. I think it should be a lot of fun and Zasper would love the attention.

krazyaboutkatz
07-13-2002, 09:59 PM
I'd like to go to AmberLee. I'll PM you for details okay. :)

AmberLee
07-15-2002, 03:39 PM
Ooh, ooh, ooh!

So far it looks like KrazyAboutKatz, TigerBlossom and one of her sons, Wolflady and her sister and mother, and I are all going. It sounds like it will be a Pet Talk/family get together like we hoped!! Hee, hee. :cool: :D

Hope you enjoy yours, too, UABassoon.

NoahsMommy
07-15-2002, 04:53 PM
Soon I'll be able to go to these with you and Karen...hmmm...how many days?? hee hee

Have fun!!!

purrley
07-16-2002, 09:09 AM
OOOH wish I could fly out. I'll tell my sister-in-law about it. She's a cat fancier and lives in the suburb close to Pleasanton, which is Livermore.

AmberLee
07-17-2002, 05:26 PM
Oops -- TigerBlossom isn't sure she can make it afterall. :( We (the rest of us) should still have a good time though. Too bad you can't join us, Purrley. Maybe waiting til we have a BIG cat show makes more sense though! :D

moosmom
07-17-2002, 07:32 PM
Cat shows are a blast!! I've shown both my Sphynx (MooShoo), my munchkin (Shorty), my American Curl (Carly the Curly Girl) and my Siamese mix (Maya Linn) at AACE and TICA shows.

Maya placed 4th Nationally in Best Household Pet Kitten division and MooShoo placed 13th Nationally in the same category. It gets a little expensive to show with travel and lodging but it's alot of fun and you meet so many great people.

Have fun guys! Let me know how it was.:D

lovemymaltese
07-18-2002, 01:12 PM
I have never been to a cat show, is it similiar to dog shows?

Former User
07-18-2002, 01:43 PM
I have to find out if there's Cat shows in Belgium, I'd love to go and see one!

AmberLee + gang, have fun then ok!

AmberLee
07-19-2002, 06:00 PM
Niina,

I looked up "The International Cat Association (TICA)" website and found this for Belgium:

October 12-13, 2002

Belgian Cat Lovers (EN Regional)
St. Truiden, Belgium

Judges:
Baudoux, Caillard, Devilbiss, Tullo, van de Water, Vlach

Entry Clerk:
Christine Vandebuerie
Meertsveldstraat, 88 - 2570 Duffel, BELGIUM
*32(0)15.31.90.96
Fax: *32(0)15.31.90.96
[email protected]

Other:
12 Allbreed rings

Info:
Lisette Baudoux *32(0)11.48.58.69, fax *32(0)11.48.70.03, [email protected]

Flyer:
http://www.tica.be

Is it anywhere near you? I found lots on
TICA's calendar page (http://home.flash.net/~debreed/calendar.htm) for France and Germany, but not all that much for Belgium. Good luck. Karen and I had a BLAST at the last one we went to. :D

AmberLee
07-20-2002, 10:23 PM
Hi all,

KrazyAboutKatz and I (and my nephew) went to today's cat show. I, for one, had a blast and am dropping in my sneakers from running around. I got 7 (seven!) new thimbles for my collection with the cutest cats on 'em, some cat toys and a modular cat condo, and a gift for my niece (A Cat-erpiller: stuffed animal in blue with glittery jeweled wings on a cute blue cat body). I was enthralled watching cats, cats, cats, cats, cats get judged. The youngest was 4 months and the oldest that I know of was 14 years (didn't look a day over two ;) ) My nephew tolerated me and my obsession... I won't give KAK's surprises away, but she bought some lovely things and I hear she's got some photos with her happy cats already. :D

I think the only negative note was that WolfLady had to cancel due to family commitments and we missed connections/were worried about her... She's fine, but missed a great show. [Oops, I meant to go back and buy a 'Cat-opoly' game, too, but ran out of energy and checks :o ]

Hope you each had a happy day, too. (Go see a cat show if you get a chance. They are fun.)

krazyaboutkatz
07-20-2002, 11:21 PM
Yes, I had a great time too. I bought two tents, six cat t-shirts, and a cat with a bobbing head (the kind you put in your car). It was my first cat show and I enjoyed it very much. There seemed to be a lot of Bengal cats and Main Coon cats for some reason or other. I could never be a judge because I thought that they were all beautiful and perfect cats. Here are some pictures of the stuff I bought. Here are the tents. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/pa308ec94c132c64f7e47c7b97b439e83/fd828b0d.jpg

Here's Pepper checking out one of the tents. He and Storm had both been in one of them already but I didn't have the camera next to me. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p1f4818167e7b308f1c13161f871ec8a6/fd828b1c.jpg

Here's Sunny in the tent. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p6c058d52b8b5029b6af6990a2acfe900/fd828b26.jpg

Here's Storm sitting beside the tent. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p88122328e12df9ef09e6784bd0d6ee72/fd828b22.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
07-20-2002, 11:28 PM
Here are the cat t-shirts that I bought. I think that six should be enough for now don't you? http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p94cdeade1173a75bf136fbe9fd9cda1a/fd828b0e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p0ead4b1c8f764963167924805bc7ab51/fd828b14.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p293e323b07dbe72bf0985b5e183089b8/fd828b16.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p6aad80e6fbd108bb0f80778c70795a17/fd828b1b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p5b79268e857f5e97e05f0c1d581c8e5f/fd828b1d.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p25e72d1cef9a54b72eb25975a114df07/fd828b21.jpg

Here's the cat with the bobbing head. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/pbf47e4e1335706c0c4775065efbade76/fd828b25.jpg

Former User
07-21-2002, 05:23 AM
AmberLee, thanx for the info! :)

Wow, you seem to have had a blast! And Tracey, wow for all the stuff you bought! We have got to find those tents too, they look so adorable! How much were they if I may ask? So that I can compare the prices if I ever run into one here.

moosmom
07-21-2002, 06:55 AM
I'm glad you guys had a great time! That's the only drawback to these cat shows is the cat STUFF they sell. Those tents are beautiful and believe me, your cats will be wrestling to see who gets to sleep in it. I have one and they can't get enough of it.

I collect cat figurines. Everytime I travel somewhere I buy a new one. Only problem is packing them up to move:rolleyes:

What kinds of cats did you see? Did you get to see a Sphynx?? Tell me more!! I'm very interested.

Glad you got back safe!

AmberLee
07-21-2002, 01:27 PM
I saw a good half dozen Sphinxes at the show, Donna, but somehow we were never in the right judging ring when they were being judged. One reminded me of your photos of Moo. I wish I'd brought my camera. There were many people photographing the action yesterday and my fingers yearned to click for reminders, too.

One 'thing' there to catch the eye was a ~ 4 foot (1.3 m?) cat treadmill made out of wood. They had a display model and a video of their cats using it. They raved about how good it was to exercise cats and work off excess energy. I can't imagine where to find room to put it, even if the price was reasonable... I don't remember, but it seems like it was just a hair under $500 US. :eek:

Do you remember the fish-shaped cat's bed in last month's Da Furr contest? Someone had made one and it was one of the top prizes in a raffle drawing held as a fund raiser for Alameda and surrounding counties cat rescue league. It was ADORABLE. Both KAK and I eagerly entered, but didn't win a thing. :( :( Oh well, we kept telling each other what a worthy cause it was, anyway. And so it 'tis. :D :cool: (Though it would have been just as worthy if we won one of the gourmet baskets, bread makers, fish-shaped cat beds, 3-level kitty condo, OR the digital camera...) Oh well, with what I bought it was crowded going home anyway.

I had lots of FUN and recommend cat shows to any who ask.

krazyaboutkatz
07-21-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty
AmberLee, thanx for the info! :)

Wow, you seem to have had a blast! And Tracey, wow for all the stuff you bought! We have got to find those tents too, they look so adorable! How much were they if I may ask? So that I can compare the prices if I ever run into one here. I was only going to buy one tent for $15.00 but if you bought two of them it was only $25.00 including tax so I broke down and bought two. These are the small sized ones. Although my cats are large they can still fit in these and the lady said that most cats prefer the smaller ones because they like small cozy places. She said that one time someone told her that both of her cats managed to get in a small tent at the same time. They were sleeping on top of each other. :D Now if only I can take a few pics of Storm and Pepper when they are in them.

kohala
07-21-2002, 07:28 PM
OK, I'll have to go the next time they have one here in San Diego. They hold them at the concourse, which is downtown. I'll have to find a fellow catlover to go with, and also wait 'til my finances are in a little better shape before I commit. I loved the things you got - the tents are great!! I guess you were out of dinero if you ran out of checks!!! I am a true believer that if you have checks, you must have money!!! No wonder I'm in hock (no cat term intended) upto my eyeballs!! Just kidding - only up to my knees. Thanks for sharing - I enjoyed it through you two! Going with a fellow PetTalker has to be soooooooo much fun!! Did your nephew get anything for his patience?!?!?! :D

AmberLee
07-21-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by kohala
...Did your nephew get anything for his patience?!?!?! :D

At the show there wasn't too much that interested him, but I did fill him with hot dogs from the snack stand. After the show, as a reward for his patience and his toting ability, he got to pick out a favorite treat (Pepperoni pizza) for dinner and a CD (The lyrics warning and song titles freaked me somewhat, but it was by a group my sister had previously okayed...). I think he was happy with the outcome of the day, although not thrilled with the massive amounts of cats as part of the day.

The CD store had recently added a 'used DVD' area and I bought "Miss Congeniality" on DVD for me. I get a kick out of that movie, and it explained some plot holes that worried me.

As you probably guessed, we saw some WONDERFUL cat tee-shirts there. I got a card from a tee-shirt vendor who'd only brought a minimal sample to the show. I set the pile of cards and flyers down somewhere. When I get organized I'll post those with URLs, in case anyone would like to see a representation of the vendors there. So much nifty stuff!

Some of the shirts worn that I didn't see for sale: Real men Admit they Love Cats; a patriotic US flag with the white stars all cat paw prints -- an adorable motto, but I've forgotten it; and two frisky orange kittens in mug shot format with their 'sins' admitted to the world...

Former User
07-22-2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
I was only going to buy one tent for $15.00 but if you bought two of them it was only $25.00 including tax so I broke down and bought two. These are the small sized ones. Although my cats are large they can still fit in these and the lady said that most cats prefer the smaller ones because they like small cozy places. She said that one time someone told her that both of her cats managed to get in a small tent at the same time. They were sleeping on top of each other. :D Now if only I can take a few pics of Storm and Pepper when they are in them.

That's not a bad price Tracey, two for $25, wow! I have a feeling they will be a bit more pricey here :rolleyes: Just have to find one first! :D

LOL, sounds funny, cats sleeping there on top of each other :D

AmberLee
07-22-2002, 02:25 AM
Niina,

In January I bought a "two cat" size cat tent and believe the price was either $25 or $28 including tax. Little did I know that once one of my cats was in it, that he or she would refuse to allow the other to enter it. :rolleyes: Possession is 9/10 of the law in their minds, apparently. I suspect that KAK's purchase was a much better buy from a usablity standpoint than mine was, for what it's worth.

Good luck!

Former User
07-22-2002, 02:33 AM
LOL, I have a feeling that Casper and Kitty will have a fight or two about the tent (if we ever find it), but they should both fit in there. If they can't behave, we'll just have to take it away then, LOL, just like from little kids :rolleyes:

*sigh* makes me want to find that tent even more now

krazyaboutkatz
07-25-2002, 12:34 AM
I bought two cat tents at the cat show. Well yesterday morning I found one of the tents flattened out with Storm sitting on top of it. This morning I found both tents flattened out. I guess my cats like to sit on top of them instead of inside of them. :D

kohala
07-25-2002, 12:54 AM
Go figure!! I am so ROFL over the image of them on top of their tents:cool: :cool: :cool:

Former User
07-25-2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
I bought two cat tents at the cat show. Well yesterday morning I found one of the tents flattened out with Storm sitting on top of it. This morning I found both tents flattened out. I guess my cats like to sit on top of them instead of inside of them. :D

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/laugh.gif http://www.plauder-smilies.de/laugh.gif http://www.plauder-smilies.de/laugh.gif

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-25-2002, 09:38 AM
At least their still interested in them - even if it's not in the way they are supposed to be. :) Tubby & Peanut would have looked at them once, maybe gone in them once, and that would have been the end of that. :rolleyes:

moosmom
07-27-2002, 10:12 AM
Amerlee,

I'm glad you got back safely and had a great time. There is SO much to see at a cat show and lots of things that seem to empty your wallet out. That's my weakness when I go. I just tell myself that my cats want for nothing and have everything out on the market today. Yet I still seem to come home with a little something new.

I'm also glad you got to see the Sphynx. They are amazing. The first time I saw them, my friend introduced me to a breeder and I got the chance to see one up close and personal (most breeders (no offense to anyone) are very protective of their cats). But for the most part, they are very anxious to talk to you about their cats, and will even let you pet them providing you sanitize your hands. The Sphyx is a very unique breed in that they are like little dogs and are VERY loyal to their humans. I can say that from firsthand experience.

I hope there will be cat shows in Michigan once I get there. I'd love to go to one. (I've retired from showing because it's expensive and alot of exhibitors are breeders and are there to put the word out about their catteries). I just had a great time meeting other exhibitors and making new friends.

Welcome back guys!!

:D