PDA

View Full Version : What Causes UTI?

Kalei
05-14-2007, 06:57 PM
I was just wondering if any of you cat experts would be able to tell me what can cause UTI in cats. I feed my cat his favorite treats, but I don't want to be feeding him treats that would cause UTI.

Is there any brand of treats or food that you know of that I should stay away from? Anything would definately help:)

Thanks PT!

moosmom
05-14-2007, 07:05 PM
According to what MY vet told me, cheap dry food can cause crystals in the urine. Also, a cat that doesn't drink alot of water can get UTI's. Some cats are more susceptible to UTI's than others.

A good way to make sure your cats are getting enough water is to give them a little canned food.

Freedom
05-14-2007, 07:12 PM
If there was any ONE thing, it would be SO easy. A combination of things including the cat's gene pool all contribute to a UTI.

Donna was right to suggest some canned / wet food in the diet. You don't want ALL canned, as then you get tooth decay. But you want to encourage moisture intake.

I chose to do that by getting a water fountain. There are many types out there. I bought the Fresh Flow. Of course, with 9 cats, buying a foutain and running that will be easier than randomly mixing in canned foods and hoping everyone gets some of it. :)

Here is just one of many articles you can find on the subject. I googled: feline uti

http://searchwarp.com/swa26640.htm

krazyaboutkatz
05-15-2007, 12:33 AM
I've also heard that cranberry treats may help to prevent UTI's but I've never tried them. Some cats love them and some hate them. I think that Petsmart sells them. As others have said, the best thing to do is to make sure that your cat drinks plenty of water. I always add a little water to my cats wet food to give them even more moisture.

KitCat
05-15-2007, 02:36 PM
I had PROBLEMS but since I have been giving him only distilled water, no trips to the vet!!

AbbyMom
05-15-2007, 08:08 PM
I had PROBLEMS but since I have been giving him only distilled water, no trips to the vet!!

That's very interesting KitCat! How long has he been drinking distilled water only?

catmandu
05-15-2007, 08:13 PM
I always thought that UTI was endemic to Mlae Cats as they have such a narrow uretha.
For what its worth the Found Cats mostly eat the Nutro Complete Care Indooe Senior and there been no UTI here.
And they have Two Water Fountains cleaned twice daily.

catnapper
05-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Stress. Lack of Water. Diet (and in Pouncer's case, its not diet because he's on a diet specifically to prevent it) and many more things we can't even comprehend.

KitCat
05-16-2007, 09:13 AM
He's been doing great on distilled water for a few years. When you consider a fish can't live in tap water because of the added ammonia, chlorine, and chemicals it makes sense that it's healthier to drink distilled.