PDA

View Full Version : I'm at my wit's end!!!

Medusa
05-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Four out of 7 of my cats are sneezing. I can't tell you how much snot I've cleaned up in the last few days. They're on an antibiotic but it doesn't seem to be helping any. Only Creamsicle and Puddy have been spared. Thank goodness. They both have been through enough. I'm wondering....is it possible for them to be allergic to paint? I've had painting done 4 days in a row and that's when the sneezing started. Seems too coincidental to me. I would think that if it was an URI, then all my cats should have it, shouldn't they? Have any of you had experience w/this sort of thing? My new office open house is in a week and I've spent waaaaay too much time going back and forth to the vet. I've got to get caught up. I'm going to feel awful if I have to leave them alone while at work.

P.S. Jenn, Yodie is doing fine. The antibiotic is really helping her w/the ear problem. Trying to catch her is another story.....

Catty1
05-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Yep, could be the paint. Do you have screens on windows so you can air the place out faster? (Turn on all vent fans too - bathroom and stove hood, at top strength).

I think if you call your vet (instead of running back and forth) s/he will say the same thing.

All I can think of is a mild kitty antihistamine, or using a vaporizer and Vicks in each room where the cats are.

Good luck!

Medusa
05-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Yes, I do have screens and the windows were/are all open and I have fans running, too.

What I meant about running back and forth to the vet was that I was doing follow up w/Cgirl and then Yodie got the ear infection, then my other cats started sneezing, so I had to go in for the antibiotic, etc. My local vet who came out of retirement 2 years ago just retired yet again. So I have to go to Dr. Lee for everything until I find another local vet, so it's quite a drive to Dr. Lee. These poor cats; I've never seen sneezing like this! My house sounds like a hospital emergency room! :p

catmandu
05-13-2007, 06:14 PM
We are praying taht the sneezing is a reaction to the paint and not an URI.
Michael was sneezing and sniffling and has a mild URI which fortunatley is not contaigous.
He has meds recommended by Cat Family and is well again.

momcat
05-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Oh wow, you sure do have your hands full right now. Four sick kitties sneezing everywhere. Maybe your vet can offer some advice over the phone rather than you keep running all the time. I wish I knew what to say that would help. Prayers for your poor sick babies and alsofor you. Please let us know how things are going?

Medusa
05-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Gary, a mild URI that is not contagious? How can that be? Please excuse my ignorance but I thought that all URI's are contagious. Yet, Puddy, Cgirl and Yodie aren't sneezing. I don't get it. I wish tomorrow would get here.

rg_girlca
05-13-2007, 08:09 PM
I don't have any advice but wanted to send prayers and positive thoughts that your sick kitties start to feel better real soon.

krazyaboutkatz
05-14-2007, 12:29 AM
I'm sorry to hear this.:( Maybe it could be some kind of a bacterial infection and this is why some of your cats don't have it. My Sky had something similar to this and I thought for sure it an URI but none of my other cats got sick. I hope that it's nothing serious and that they get better and feel better quickly.

I painted most of my condo last year and none of my cats had this sneezing problem so maybe your cats are more sensitive to the smell of paint.

Medusa
05-14-2007, 07:25 AM
This morning when Pidge sneezed, the spray went onto a window and it was bloody. Not tinged pink, pure red. I called Dr. Lee and he said that it could be an allergic reaction to the paint, since only 4 of my cats are exhibiting symptoms. And he said that if a cat sneezes hard enough, blood vessels will burst. But he recommended bringing her in. (Like he could stop me anyhow.) Pidge is my 17 year old and has never had a sick day in her life since I brought her home when she was 2 1/2 years old. She's the sweetest cat ever. I sure hope it's just an allergic reaction. I'm concerned about my other cats, too, but I can't bring them all in at the same time, obviously. Please send some prayers out for my Pidge and I'll post w/what Dr. Lee says when I get back.

*UPDATE* Just got back from Dr. Lee's. He feels that it's an allergic reaction to the paint but until the tests come back tomorrow he won't know for sure. So I can't really medicate anyone til then except for Pidge. He's starting her on Clavamox and an antihistamine but she's been on Clindamycin to no avail. He didn't seem alarmed about the bleeding; he said her nose is sore and to give her saline drops and/or Neosynephrine. She has to go back in soon for a teeth cleaning and to have her belly shaved. She's a long hair and as she's gotten older, it's become increasingly difficult to groom her. I feel a little better but I was so stressed. My Pidge is so sweet.

AbbyMom
05-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Oh, I hope everybody's OK. Let us know what the vet says.