PDA

View Full Version : Babies and Cats

Freedom
05-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Hey, anyone with cats and a baby!

This guy and his wife have decided it is "not safe" to keep their cats now they have a new baby in the home! The cats are adorable, 3 year old brothers.
He posted on craigslist looking for a good home for the cats.

If he had said they don't have time, or anything like that, I wouldn't be bothering. But he says they heard too many bad things can happen with cats and infants!!

So if you have first hand experience, send him your thoughts! I already did.
AND I told him about PT and suggested he come on here to check.

Here is his email address:
[email protected]

Here is the craigslist post:
http://nh.craigslist.org/pet/329301233.html

Pam
05-13-2007, 09:16 AM
I am sorry that person feels that way. When there is a baby in the house they require careful watching, no matter whether they live with cats or not. My daughter has a 5 year old and a 1 year old and she has two cats and a 90 lb. dog. There has never been a single incident where either of these children has had a problem with any of these pets. Believe me, us grandmoms can be very protective if need be. :)

I didn't read the post but will do so in a few minutes. My guess is that he has heard the old wives tale that a cat can suck the breath out of a baby. :rolleyes: Common sense is key with pets and kids not to mention being alert to any other possible danger in the home. I am going to attach a picture my daughter took of her kitty, Dandy, (short for Dandy Lion :) ) back when my 5 year old grandson was an infant. Dandy was the first pet in their household and my grandson to this day, adores little Dandy and they are great pals. She now sleeps in his twin bed. :)

Catty1
05-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Somewhere on here is a great pic of a kitty being friendly with a new baby. Can't find it!

With all these Urban Legends, Bill, like the cat-baby one, you will have a heck of a time trying to verify WHO it happened to, WHEN, and being able to get that information backed up! In short - all smoke, and no facts.

I think this started up in households that might have had cats when SIDS was not known about yet.

The only problem might be that the cats get a bit jealous! But they are brothers so I think they will be fine!

Bill, I hope you look on here so you can see and read people's actual life experiences, and not go on something you 'heard'. You have a new beautiful baby, and want to protect him or her with your life.

But the kitties won't hurt your baby. Really.

hugs and I hope you have two furkids and a healthy wonderful new hoomin baby too!

Catty1
05-13-2007, 10:14 AM
PICS from the net...

http://www.messybeast.com/images/cat-baby-gunn.jpg

Check this link on Cats and Babies: http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.lollypop.org/gfx/cat/1054_4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.lollypop.org/org/org162.asp%3Fssid%3D%26orgid%3D162%26storyTypeID%3 D%26sid%3D%26&h=250&w=300&sz=13&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=eG_GN_1z_Lq8kM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcats%2Band%2Bbabies%26gbv%3D2%26svnum %3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/images02/catsandbabies.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/cat-behavior/catsandbabies.cfm&h=133&w=179&sz=9&hl=en&start=12&tbnid=hnLo-PMmrYAzLM:&tbnh=75&tbnw=101&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcats%2Band%2Bbabies%26gbv%3D2%26svnum %3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Freedom
05-13-2007, 02:44 PM
I got an email reply from the craiglist folks. Part of the concern is that they have found the cats in the crib twice already. I don't know if the infant was in the crib at the time, or if the crib was empty.

I know folks on here have some ideas. And I DO realize it is Mother's Day. I suggested they check this link a few times to give people a chance to post.

AdoreMyDogs
05-13-2007, 04:22 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j163/AdoreMyDogs/Baby%20stuff/QuinnMiniMin.jpg?t=1179091079

It is too bad anyone would believe such nonsense about cats and infants :(

Taz_Zoee
05-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Catty1, you should send him those links to his email so he can look at them. They might really change his mind.
Also, about the cats being in the crib......don't let the cats in the nursery, maybe :confused: . I know that might be easier said than done, but it was just an idea. Once the cats get used to the child being around they will not be as curious about it. They just need to be cautious and careful at first.
My brother had a cat when his first daughter was born and Bruce's brother has 3 cats who were around when his nephew was born.
I hope he can work it out so he can keep these two beautiful kitties.

catmandu
05-13-2007, 04:44 PM
It is sad that these Old Wives tales are still being spread around by people who dont like Cats , and love being the centre of attention by spreading these lies.
These lies have been going on for yeras and you can argue until you are blue in the face, they will continue these lies as they are hateful morons.
Sad that so many Cats have been given up because of this nonsense.

rosethecopycat
05-13-2007, 04:46 PM
The only truth in this thinking is that it kills cats.
We get owner give ups in rescue all the time for this reason. Some come with the vets blessings.
Think of how many cats were just dumped at A/C or shelters who didn't stand a chance of getting adopted?

Can the owners Google:
myths about cats and babies

http://www.tulsa-animalshelter.org/tips/cats%20and%20infants.htm

As for the crib, make it off limits by closing the door, or buying a netting for overtop. :confused:

sirrahbed
05-13-2007, 05:10 PM
I have also known folks who decided to rehome kitties because of new babies think it is just too much caution. My three children were raised with cats around and I found it to be a very postive thing and maybe Bill will reconsider. Like Pam said, yes babies need lots of watching no matter what.

I currently have two grandbabies who are at our house every week and have been since they were born. Of our five cats, only one (Lizzie) will come even close...here she is with Annika from this past week. Lizzie LOVES babies and has taken it upon herself to be one of the babysitters. She *always* stays around the babies but never too close...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p6df1483acfb59595ee71eb60634b167f/e9884658.jpg
Annika loves the kitties and gets so excited to see them. Our big orange Dylan likes the babies as well, but prefers to sit from a nearby perch to watch them, The other three stay mostly far away ;)

At her house, Annika and Misha's family also have cats - Her mommy saw this sweet sight a few weeks ago and got the picture http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/chrangharris/100_4204.jpg

That picture is also in this thread: Who says babies and cats don't mix? (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=125050)

My youngest is 22 now and her cat Boomer had previosly been given up to them by a family who did not want to keep him because THEY had a new baby. Now, her son Tyler is about to turn two and he totally adores the kitty. Boomer sits right next to him and lets Tyler pet him - but also knows to move away if Tyler forgets to be gentle. Baby#2 will be arriving soon and I know Boomer will protect this new little one as well.

Bill - if you happen to read this thread I hope you will be encouraged to keep your kitties. They can be such a positive part of the family. Some folks do such things as install a screen door on the nursery just to be safe and that is something you can consider. In all likelihood, your cats will steer clear far from your baby - unless one or both of them take a special liking and like to watch them.

I love seeing babies and pets together. I may not be the norm, but I also let the cats hop in the baby crib if they wanted to. I do not believe there is any danger whatsoever. I feel like my babies were even protected by our cats. My three kids are grown now, and all three remain animal lovers with their own pets. (chrangharris, sirrahved & sirrahsim all post here) All of my grandchildren are being born and raised among multiple cats and I believe they will be better people because of it.

kitimom
05-13-2007, 05:25 PM
My sister's Bridge baby Sasha Marie was her babysitter for my neice when she was born. If CJ had to make a potty visit or step into another room for something, Sasha was right there watching Carol Anne the entire time. If that baby (who is now 13) even made a squeak, Sasha was on the way for CJ!!! She was Carol Anne's "Guardian Angel" up until her passing 2 years ago.
It is so sad, that in a world that is so technilogically advanced as ours is, that people STILL think with the minds of the folks of the Middle Ages (when all cats were banned, which, of course led to the Plague...)
I hope and pray that Bill and his family will reconsider their decision to "dump" the kitties cuz of the new baby. That is sooo sad......

Pawsitive Thinking
05-14-2007, 06:26 AM
I got an email reply from the craiglist folks. Part of the concern is that they have found the cats in the crib twice already. I don't know if the infant was in the crib at the time, or if the crib was empty

So why don't they invest in a cat net that fits over the crib and stops unwanted visitors???

I've emailed the silly man too

catlady1945
05-14-2007, 06:43 AM
We had a cat before our oldest was born. He was still there when our youngest was born 2-1/2 yrs later. We never had any worries about the cat and the kids. I did always keep the babies' bedroom door closed, so their was no visiting in the night.

People still believe the strangest things. I heard the cat sucking the breath out myth just last year.

Our grand-daughter visits and she just loves our cats. She tries to kiss them. They are not afraid of her at all, and quite gentle.

Freedom
05-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Bill & Denise - there are some more comments in this thread too. Starting with post #3:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=127132

Have we convinced you to keep the sweet 3 and half year old brothers yet???

AbbyMom
05-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Although I don't have kids, can I add a story about my coworker? :)

She had four cats when she had her first child. When she came back from maternity leave, I asked her how her cats & baby got along.

She said three of them didn't pay the baby any attention. But the fourth...a female...she felt it was her duty to help monitor the baby and "help."

For example, if my coworker would be washing the dishes and the baby would start crying, the cat would come in the kitchen and start meowing and meowing. (Translation: Can't you hear the baby cry? Hurry up!)

My coworker would always tell the cat...OK OK I'll be right there.

By the way, my coworker still has the four cats and another baby.

Cataholic
05-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Buy a crib tent. Serves dual purposes...keeps the cats out while the baby is napping, AND, keeps the baby in once the baby gets adventuresome. Start with the tent now so that the baby gets accustomed to the tent. They sell for about 30 bucks.

RICHARD
05-14-2007, 03:31 PM
I also heard some "cat myths" and the one where cats can "steal the breath" from a baby....

I finnaly figured out that a cat will sleep anywhere there is warmth, (i.e. on top of my fat arse.) -so if you have a small toddler in bed....

A cat of any weight might climb on top of a small child to get warm and smush them up...

I would invest in the tent and keep the cats.

Cataholic
05-14-2007, 03:33 PM
I finnaly figured out that a cat will sleep anywhere there is warmth, (i.e. on top of my fat arse.) -so if you have a small toddler in bed....

Are you currently sleeping under a tent?

Catty1
05-14-2007, 03:42 PM
"Smush"?

Are you serious?

I have never heard of this happening. Have you, Richard?

(I know you have a great way with words and a sense of humour, but this is not helping the cats' cause very much....I would think a baby would be lumpy and uncomfy for cats...)

Pam
05-14-2007, 05:28 PM
For example, if my coworker would be washing the dishes and the baby would start crying, the cat would come in the kitchen and start meowing and meowing. (Translation: Can't you hear the baby cry? Hurry up!)

This reminds me of something that happened when my grandson (referred to in the post above) was very small. Dandy used to lay in the windowsill - - nothing new for a cat, but one day she apparently leaned too heavily on the screen and it popped out. My grandson was probably only 18 months old or so at the time and he went into the other room where my daughter was and said *Dee Dee* (that's what he called her) and got my daughter's attention so that she followed him into the living room. Dandy had apparently fallen out of the window (fortunately it was a ranch house and her fall was probably only about two feet :) ). The neat thing is that my grandson knew that this was not a good thing and his actions possibly saved her from getting lost or worse. She was his little buddy and he knew she was in trouble. :)

Cataholic
05-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Pam, if I might share a story similar to yours....

I have two escape artists-Allie and Monte. Sometimes, Jonah is NOT very careful with the front door, and out the cats run. He immediately starts screaming about how it isn't safe outside, MOMMY, and he runs to pick the cats up. He will invariably get Allie in a headlock, and carry her towards the door. While funny, it isn't too great for Allie, I am sure. He couldn't pick up Monte for all the tea in China.

Jonah literally freaks out if the cats are outside. When they cry at the window when we are in the back yard, he gets so mad at them, "no crying, not safe outside, TATS (cats, jonah-speak)".

Catty1
05-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Maybe THIS should go on Craigslist! :D

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=127220

RICHARD
05-15-2007, 02:54 PM
"Smush"?

Are you serious?

I have never heard of this happening. Have you, Richard?

(I know you have a great way with words and a sense of humour, but this is not helping the cats' cause very much....I would think a baby would be lumpy and uncomfy for cats...)

While I have never actually heard of a kid being suffocated by a cat, I tend to believe that there is some truth to every old wive's tale. There tends to be a little truth in myths and streotypes...why else would they come about?

(Notice that there are no old husband's tales...... :confused: )

THere are times I wake up feeling pretty uncomfortable when the cat sleeps on top of me. I wake up either looking into my cat's yellow eyes or his one brown one.

I can only imagine walking into the nursery of my child and seeing the cat sleeping on top of and face to face with my child......
The baby is not breathing and to me it looks like the cat is "sucking the breath" out of the child...

It's not an indictment of the cat or the parent. It's just the fact that people who bring newborns and pets into the same household need to take extra steps and be even more vigilant about the arrangement.

----------------

I do sleep under a tent....his name is Edward,. :eek: