PDA

View Full Version : ARGH vent

wolfsoul
05-11-2007, 07:45 PM
As some of you know, my dogs' job is to pull me place to place on my bike. Most of the Belgians are trained for it -- Visa, Solo, Jaguar, Loki, and Jake.

Well anyways today was warm so instead of allowing Solo to run I left him at a dogtrot (which is diffuclt believe me -- I have to keep on the brakes the entire time). Some lady pulls up beside my bike in her car, yells "OH MY GOD!!" which scared Solo so he sort of stops and pulls a little to the left -- his racing harness got caught in my wheel and I lose control of my bike so he starts screaming because the wheel is attached to him. The lady drove away screaming at me. I get him all untangled and he was pretty shook up after that event, as was I. I start goign again, and there is the lady stuck in traffic and she rolls down her window again and yells "WHY DON'T YOU GIVE YOUR DOG SOME WATER!!" I yelled back "He was just at the lake, he's not even running!" She say's "Why don't you run over him again!!" "Itwas YOUR fault, you yelled and made him run into my bike!!" And then much cursing and swearing followed and I took Solo down to the nearby creek and he wouldn't even touch the water -- he was full of it and barely even panting.

People are so ignorant. He was going so slow I might as well have been walking him, it would have been the same. Someone else pulled me over the other day and said she saw me with my dogs every morning and said she was concerned about their health. She was polite about it and I explained that Belgians were bred to run all day long, acting as an invisible fence for the sheep. If you put a Belgian outside, all they will do is run in circles around the yard. I told her their hips and elbows are x-rayed and sent in to OFA (I am switching to WCVM btw) and the only reason I ran Solo who is a young dog is because he has weak pasterns and this strengthens them -- otherwise he would be in the bike cart.They are allowed to se their own pace when it is cool out -- when it iswarm out they must be at a walk or a slow trot and I carry water on me to give them at every stop (which they are never interested in anyways, they just want to go go go).

So anyways, I had to vent. If I had been walking him I wouldn't have gotten any flack, but because I was sitting on a bike, suddenly I'm abusing my dog. I had one guy last year tell me that pavement was too hard on a dog's feet. Yeah, okay -- let's run them on grass and let them get all soft so that when I take them to somewhere rocky their pads split open. Some peopel are just ignorant. I have been bikejoring for 7 years and my dogs are healthy and happy and couldn't have more muscle.

Alysser
05-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Your best bet, IMO, is just to ignore them if they are so rude to you. As you stated, they are ignorant which means they probably don't know much about what they are talking about. We'll know you don't abuse your pups, wolfsoul. You would never do anything dangerous with them, so ignore stupid people such as them.

caseysmom
05-11-2007, 08:08 PM
We have a very highly effective hand signal in the US for those types, I can give you some instructions on its proper use :D

wolfsoul
05-11-2007, 08:37 PM
We have a very highly effective hand signal in the US for those types, I can give you some instructions on its proper use :D
LOL! :D

elizabethann
05-11-2007, 09:23 PM
What's wrong with people?

I think you need to wear an Ipod so you don't have to listen to strange and rude people.

Daisy and Delilah
05-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Jordan, maybe you could have some flyers made up to hand to these people. Something to educate them so when they see you again, they won't act like idiots.

I honestly have to say, with all due respect, if they see something like this and don't understand it.......it's almost better that they question it rather than ignore it. They seem to have the dog's best interest in mind but yelling and cursing is not real smart under most circumstances like this.

After you try to educate them and that doesn't work, try our fail proof USA hand signal that caseysmom mentioned :D

I have to say that I wasn't aware of these wonderful dogs doing this. This is all new to me. I need to get educated too.

IRescue452
05-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Well, we know your dogs are happy and healthy. Ever try one of those bike springs for dogs that holds them at a good length from the bike?

crow_noir
05-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Have any good advice on how to train for that sort of thing, or any good links?

How do you train a dog to not stop and sniff every little thing?

Any links to pics of the proper equipment?

crow_noir
05-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Well, we know your dogs are happy and healthy. Ever try one of those bike springs for dogs that holds them at a good length from the bike?

Where can you find them and what are they called? I've seen them once in use and have been interested since.

Glacier
05-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Where can you find them and what are they called? I've seen them once in use and have been interested since.

It's called a Springer. I use one with some of my dogs. LOVE IT! Even my big malamute mix can't pull the bike over or get in front of the wheel.
www.springerusa.com

crow_noir
05-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Hmmm... that's not the one I was thinking of, but that looks VERY nice!!!

The one I'm thinking of is a swivel mounted spring that attaches to the handlebars.

The only thing i don't like on the Springer is the safety release.... I mean, i DO like it... but with Koli, i do NOT want a safety release. I'd rather be dragged to H3!! and back before having her get loose.

Still, the design of this is MUCH better than the swivel mount. Thanks Glacier!

It's called a Springer. I use one with some of my dogs. LOVE IT! Even my big malamute mix can't pull the bike over or get in front of the wheel.
www.springerusa.com

theterrierman
05-12-2007, 07:25 AM
There's also a device called a WalkyDog, but it requires a little training because there's no spring or anything. Might work well with some kind of no-pull harness.

ETA: http://www.walkydogusa.com/ Here's the link for it.

Freedom
05-12-2007, 08:50 AM
I have to admit, I am so pleased to hear people are actually concerned enough about ANYONE'S dogs to ask.

Their method of showing that concern leaves a LOT to be desired. :rolleyes: But, if they are assuming that you are an animal abuser, then I guess they are trying to intimidate you into stopping what you are doing.

The idea of having a handout on bikejoring and your dog's breed characteristics is a great idea and a way to help educate them. A lot of work for you, though.

Since I adopted Sugar, I always carry handouts for the rescue group she came through. I am amazed at how fast I go through them.

I'm not sure the "hand signal" would be a good response. Someone who truly is concerned about the dogs, and doesn't know your sport and your breed, could take that signal as meaning someone in authority needs to be contacted to deal with "the mean dog abuser I saw on the street."

I know you just want to enjoy your time with the dogs. Hey, how about a Tshirt or banner across your back: Caution: Dog Team in Training.

BC_MoM
05-12-2007, 05:39 PM

I would have used that signal in a situation like this. Just yesterday, I was biking with Molly and this man was like "You should be walking too!!!"

:rolleyes:

Daisy and Delilah
05-12-2007, 06:45 PM
I would have used that signal in a situation like this. Just yesterday, I was biking with Molly and this man was like "You should be walking too!!!"

:rolleyes:

Whoa!! That is absolutely uncalled for. Who died and made him boss? That's none of his business. I think it's admirable that you were biking. what's wrong with that? :confused:

Great idea Sandie! Wearing a shirt with those words is perfect. :D

cali
05-12-2007, 06:59 PM
ya know, I heard a story about someone else who had a similer problem, a park ranger actually kicked this person and her dog out of the public.. dogs and bikes allowed.. park for biking with her dog. this seems so incredably stupid to me, I bikejore with my dogs and all I get is people stopping me to ask about my dogs breeds and training lol, I have even had people run out of their houses to offer my dogs a drink(I carry K9 Quencher for them, so I always decline). I once had someone distract my dogs(by accident) and cause me to run over the leashes, they actually ran over to help me untangle the mess and apologize...I guess I always just assumed that friendlyness and curiosity I get here was a normal reaction to the sport.

IRescue452
05-12-2007, 09:43 PM
the springer is the item I was thinking of, I didn't know about the safety release, that can be good or bad

Glacier
05-12-2007, 09:52 PM
The only thing i don't like on the Springer is the safety release.... I mean, i DO like it... but with Koli, i do NOT want a safety release. I'd rather be dragged to H3!! and back before having her get loose.

Still, the design of this is MUCH better than the swivel mount. Thanks Glacier!

I don't use the safety release. I use a cable neckline off my dogsled. Same length as the line that came with the springer. I use two brass clips, one on the springer, one on the dog's harness. The dogs I run on the Springer are either incapable of coming when called or aggressive to other dogs. I can't have them getting loose. That said, I've never been in a situation where the safety release would have been any help anyway. I've only fallen once since I got the Springer five years ago and that was going down a big, sandy hill with a malamute, who decided she should chase a squirrel off to the side of us.

You should also check your local by-laws before biking with your dog in any fashion. It may have changed now, but when I lived in Calgary it was illegal to bike with a dog attached to the bike by any means!

Hellow
05-12-2007, 09:57 PM
I dont know why the people would yell at you for any reason. Just let people be unless they are doing somthing obviousely wrong.

cloverfdx
05-13-2007, 12:23 AM
That sucks Jordan :(. I use a WalkyDog for my guys for endurence training and they love it. I let them pick a pace, unless it is a little warmer then i keep the brakes on and them trotting ;).

crow_noir
05-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Looking at the design I wondered how easy it would be to do an altercation. Thanks for the tip.

Yikes, sandy hill and squirrel!

Nope, nothing about that being illegal. We just have to have our dogs under "reasonable restraint" and leashes must be 6ft. or less. Looks like the Springer would meet the leash requirement.

I don't use the safety release. I use a cable neckline off my dogsled. Same length as the line that came with the springer. I use two brass clips, one on the springer, one on the dog's harness. The dogs I run on the Springer are either incapable of coming when called or aggressive to other dogs. I can't have them getting loose. That said, I've never been in a situation where the safety release would have been any help anyway. I've only fallen once since I got the Springer five years ago and that was going down a big, sandy hill with a malamute, who decided she should chase a squirrel off to the side of us.

You should also check your local by-laws before biking with your dog in any fashion. It may have changed now, but when I lived in Calgary it was illegal to bike with a dog attached to the bike by any means!

crow_noir
05-14-2007, 12:21 AM
I think the idea about the hand out pamphlets is a good idea too!

Education is the key to understanding.

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-14-2007, 12:22 AM
It's great that he was keeping the Solo's best interest in mind, but I hate when people are unknowledgeable about something and assume that you're harming your dog. I'm sorry you had to deal with somebody like that.

Biking with your dog whatsoever is illegal here, as mentioned by Glacier above, but I wish it wasn't as it would be the easiest way to keep Tango in shape and tire her out.