PDA

View Full Version : I need help choosing paint colors!!

M&M's Mommy
05-11-2007, 06:19 PM
What is the paint colors you chose for your house? Can you share pictures?? I wanted to re-paint the interior of my new house, but have no clue which colors to choose. Should I paint each room a different color, or stick to one color throughout the entire house? I wanted something warm & inviting, easy to the eyes, and emits a sense of peacefulness.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Theresa

Freedom
05-11-2007, 06:38 PM
This is what I grew up with: a different color in every room. Bedrooms: yellow; blue; green. Hallway and living room: lavender, very pale pastel shade. Bathroom: blue tile with yellow walls - but a different yellow from the bedroom across the hall. Kitchen: yet another shade of yellow.

I was always amazed to go into friends homes and see ivory walls throughout. I just couldn't understand it. then I got my apartment - all light beige. Still seems weird to me!

I never had any idea of how to choose colors - for walls, OR for clothes. When I started working, a friend guided me to "Color Me Beautiful." There is a book; it is a theory that based on our skin coloring, each person is one of the 4 seasons. There is a set of colors which best show off that season. I am a Winter, and for example I can NOT wear cream / off white as I look sickly. Pure white I can wear. Reds - I can wear the blue undertone shades of red, but NOT the orange undertone shades of red. Once you identify your season, the book lists swatches for the colors for each season. When this was popular, you could actually mail away for cloth swatches of YOUR colors and take those shopping with you to get the clothes that would look best on you. If a Spring wears white, the person looks like death, but ivory or cream looks wonderful on that person. It is all in the shading.

So when I bought my house, I painted using all my colors. Living room is sky blue; kitchen is pastel pink.

It is all in the shading. Every season can wear red, it is the shade of red which makes all the difference. Every season has a green, a blue, and so on.

If you aren't in a rush, you may want to take a look at the library for the book. The point is that the right colors make you look your best and you feel better.

Good wishes with whatever you choose.

Roxyluvsme13
05-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Ours is ALL white. Yech. I want my room to be black and white though, but mom says no, even if the landlord would let us.

Anyways, I would think painting each room a different color would be neat. Maybe do like a certain color scheme? Like pastels, or bolds, or something else?

M&M's Mommy
05-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Ours is ALL white. Yech. I want my room to be black and white though, but mom says no, even if the landlord would let us.

Anyways, I would think painting each room a different color would be neat. Maybe do like a certain color scheme? Like pastels, or bolds, or something else?

Actually sticking with a color scheme is a great idea. I love warm fall colors, so I will see what I can find when I go paint shopping tomorrow :)

Thanks for all the suggestion guys!