PDA

View Full Version : Baby "plays" with Cobra.

buttercup132
05-11-2007, 01:52 PM
This babies parents put her with a Cobra. Taped it. And they were laughing when ever the Cobra went to attack. Apparently one of two things was done, the fangs were removed (causing the snake to eventually starve) or they sewed the mouth shut obviously very painful and again starving the snake. This is just what I read on the comments so I don't know which one is true.

But still the snake could have killed the baby they are still strong and can choke it. And to teach your kid to play with cobras!!?! Wth is wrong with people!?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2027917530

Husky_mom
05-11-2007, 02:00 PM
OMG!!.......... poor baby!!.... even if he was not bitten he surely had no clue what was going on........ (hey, why is this "toy" bonking me?)

and poor cobra, I bet she was scared by a weird crawling thing trying to get her........and not being able to defend herself.........

and that just proves we have our dose of sickos in this planet, might be a different culture, but I canīt think of a mother exposing her child to that, danger or not.......... and that snake is no constrictor, but could easily had choked that kid..........

jackie
05-11-2007, 02:32 PM
I saw that in the paper the other day.

Some people are messed in the head. I wonder if they did it so they could sell the tape to make money?

Muddy4paws
05-11-2007, 03:32 PM
I saw this too, How the hell do they get away with it? a real loving mother wouldnt put that kind of crap on a child.

luckies4me
05-12-2007, 02:32 AM
It's a VERY common practice for parents to have their children play with these snakes as it teaches them from an early age not to be afraid of them, since there are so many around their parts. Honestly I'd be more concerned the little girl was crawling around with no bottoms on! As far as starving, just because you have the pits and fangs removed does not mean the animal starves. This is a common practice as well with many herp keepers. I've held a black cobra (not sure exactly what kind) with fangs intact, and he was the sweetest snake ever. The lady who owned him also had many other venemous snakes, but with most of their fangs/pits removed. I assure you they are all fine and eat on a regular basis. ;) The only way he can starve is if his mouth was sewn shut, and we have no idea if it was. I feel a lot worse for the snake, not knowing why there is a child tugging at him, but he doesn't seem to mind too much. As far as strangulation, this may be a slight possibility, but it's not a constrictor. Chances are slim. The child shows no fear, and honestly has no idea her "toy" is a snake.

This isn't the only tape like this out there. There are many many others. This tape is also on You Tube, along with many similar videos.

Here is some info on venomoids.
http://venomoidinc.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=3&id=7&Itemid=28

http://devenomized.com/forum/

honeybeezercattalina
05-12-2007, 04:06 AM
Thats just sick...

I havnt seen the vid since I dont know what one it is, but those parents mustve been so cold hearted.

Miss Z
05-12-2007, 05:59 AM
I'm surprised the baby didn't scream. If I'd have been that age and a snake lunged at me, I'd have been bawling my eyes out.

If it really is to stop the child fearing snakes, I can't help but think that perhaps if the child ever comes across a real venemous snake with glands and fangs intact that she will think it's fine to try and pick it up. That would be awful.

I feel sorry for that snake. It was obviously completely riled as its hood was flaring.

Alysser
05-12-2007, 06:25 AM
I saw this video a couple of days ago for the first time and I was shocked. I searched how the baby could still possibly be living through it because I thought the Cobra still had his fangs intact. I came across and article on "de-fanging". It's much like declawing a cat, only worse since they starve to death eventually. I find the whole act sickening, using an animal for such entertainment purposes. It's sick, really sick.

luckies4me
05-12-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm surprised the baby didn't scream. If I'd have been that age and a snake lunged at me, I'd have been bawling my eyes out.

If it really is to stop the child fearing snakes, I can't help but think that perhaps if the child ever comes across a real venemous snake with glands and fangs intact that she will think it's fine to try and pick it up. That would be awful.

I feel sorry for that snake. It was obviously completely riled as its hood was flaring.

Why would the baby scream? It has no idea what is going on. Do you see any fear in the child's eyes? The kid is still a baby, and has no idea that this animal could have hurt her if it still had it's venom. The kid is clueless. The kids in these parts grow up with these snakes, some become snake charmers. They learn to respect the snakes from an early age. The parents teach them not to just go grab any snake they see, but being exposed to them early on helps them learn not to fear them.

I don't know if you know much about cobras or not, but it's very easy to get them to show their hood. If you watch the snake he doesn't look too worked up at all. He would have tried striking many many times if he were truly upset.

There is no difference between putting this child in front of a snake or putting a cat/kitten in front of it. A cat is going to do a lot more damage to the kid than this snake. But hey, us parents do it every day. How many toddlers you see walking around holding kittens by the head, pulling on ears and tails etc?

You gotta remember people, this is in INDIA, not the United States. Very different culture there!

luckies4me
05-12-2007, 02:35 PM
I saw this video a couple of days ago for the first time and I was shocked. I searched how the baby could still possibly be living through it because I thought the Cobra still had his fangs intact. I came across and article on "de-fanging". It's much like declawing a cat, only worse since they starve to death eventually. I find the whole act sickening, using an animal for such entertainment purposes. It's sick, really sick.

I don't know what link you came across but devonomizing a snake is nothing compared to declawing a cat. Did you even read the links I posted? There are many many venomoids out there kept in the herp trade. They do not starve to death.

They are not using the animal for entertainment purposes, but for educational purposes. Do you know how many of these snakes would be killed each and every day if the parents did not teach their children early on to respect them? They would be out there slaughtering snakes all the time!

Miss Z
05-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Why would the baby scream? It has no idea what is going on. Do you see any fear in the child's eyes? The kid is still a baby, and has no idea that this animal could have hurt her if it still had it's venom. The kid is clueless. The kids in these parts grow up with these snakes, some become snake charmers. They learn to respect the snakes from an early age. The parents teach them not to just go grab any snake they see, but being exposed to them early on helps them learn not to fear them.

I don't know if you know much about cobras or not, but it's very easy to get them to show their hood. If you watch the snake he doesn't look too worked up at all. He would have tried striking many many times if he were truly upset.

There is no difference between putting this child in front of a snake or putting a cat/kitten in front of it. A cat is going to do a lot more damage to the kid than this snake. But hey, us parents do it every day. How many toddlers you see walking around holding kittens by the head, pulling on ears and tails etc?

You gotta remember people, this is in INDIA, not the United States. Very different culture there!

Babies scream or cry if you drop pots and pans on the floor. They get scared if you jump out at them or say 'boo' just that little bit too suddenly. Thus I would imagine the quick action of a snake strike towards the face would shock a baby. Evidently not in this case, but it surprised me that she wasn't scared.

The part which I've highlighted in bold I think emphasises the point I was trying to make. If she doesn't have a clue what's going on, then she's not going to tell the difference between what to and not to touch. I appreciate what you said about not fearing them and being taught not to grab any snake, but she's not going to understand that until she's got some lingual skills. Once she starts to toddle around, no doubt she'll go for a wander in snake habitat, and that's when she's in danger.

Snake-charming is an age-old tradition but is dying out in our modernising world, for a start, it's declared illegal in India. They're no longer allowed to trap their own animals, and new forms of street entertainment have outdated it. Earnings are meager. I'm sure that many Indian parents will wish a more stable and profitable future for their sons and daughters now.

I know cobras can show their hood pretty easily, but that cobra is in striking stance almost all the time and to me at least he looks pretty peeved.

I did a bit of research on the process of defanging/devemonising, and from what it looks like it seems very difficult and precise. Seems like the botch rate is pretty high, no doubt in poor suburbs the sufficient technology to perform the operation is not always available. I researched a little further and found a couple of quotes on how many snake-charmer snakes suffer from mouth ulcers.

I see your point about how a kitten is no different to a snake in terms of behaviour with a baby, but I personally don't agree with letting kids and animals mix until the child has been fully taught when not to tug anymore, and that it should always be under adult supervision.

luckies4me
05-12-2007, 03:53 PM
I agree with you 100% Miss Z, very well put. :)

My main point was just because the snake had it's pits removed does not mean it's going to die. People jump to conclusions too fast. As far as many of these procedures being botched, the same goes for declawing, tail docking, ear clipping, neuters and spays. Trust me, working in vet clinics I've seen a lot of botched spays unfortunately, one being my own cat. Which is why anyone who is looking to get any of these procedures done seek out a qualified veterinarian. I'm sure there are many people out there who try to do this themselves, which is why if anyone ever should choose to get a venomoid they do their research first, and go with a highly reputable breeder/surgeon. I plan on owning a few venomoids in the future, specifically vipers. I've already done the whole rattlesnake thing, and yes he was handled quite reguarly, but he still had his venom!

lizbud
05-12-2007, 05:01 PM
To me this is abuse to the child & the snake. This is an infant who can't
even sit on it's own yet put close to a p/o'd snake. :(

I would worry the the snake stricking out could stick the child's eye.

If it were this country they would all get arrested. A stupid stunt.

buttercup132
05-12-2007, 05:05 PM
if the parents did not teach their children early on to respect them? :confused: How is the baby pi*ssing the snake off teaching it to RESPECT it? How is it teaching the baby that the snakes are dangerous if it's aloud to go and pull on it's tail? Why can't they just TELL the kids to respect them like everyone else dose?

Miss Z
05-12-2007, 05:37 PM
I agree with you 100% Miss Z, very well put. :)

My main point was just because the snake had it's pits removed does not mean it's going to die. People jump to conclusions too fast. As far as many of these procedures being botched, the same goes for declawing, tail docking, ear clipping, neuters and spays. Trust me, working in vet clinics I've seen a lot of botched spays unfortunately, one being my own cat. Which is why anyone who is looking to get any of these procedures done seek out a qualified veterinarian. I'm sure there are many people out there who try to do this themselves, which is why if anyone ever should choose to get a venomoid they do their research first, and go with a highly reputable breeder/surgeon. I plan on owning a few venomoids in the future, specifically vipers. I've already done the whole rattlesnake thing, and yes he was handled quite reguarly, but he still had his venom!

Thank you. :) I too agree that all surgery carries its risks, and that even the simplest of operations can go wrong!

wombat2u2004
05-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Well, that kid had better not become too friendly with snakes.....might be the case where she gets older and just picks a wild one up thinking that it's no problem.
We just had a nine year old girl bitten in March here near where I live....she lingered on for two hours, then died. Yep.....ya don't mess with those things.
Wom

mugsy
05-13-2007, 10:47 AM
I agree with Liz...the kid may associate cobras with being a "nice" snake!! Cobra's are not mean, they are just venomous and will kill you if they bite, but OY! The poor snake was tortured horribly, by what ever they did to him.

People just suck.

CathyBogart
05-14-2007, 01:32 AM
I don't know what link you came across but devonomizing a snake is nothing compared to declawing a cat. Did you even read the links I posted? There are many many venomoids out there kept in the herp trade. They do not starve to death.

We are not talking about venomoiding the snake, what was mentioned was removing the fangs. A venomoid snake can live and thrive, a snake whose fangs are removed often starves to death.

The venomoid surgery involves removing the glands and ducts that produce and deliver the venom, VERY different from removing the fangs.

CathyBogart
05-14-2007, 01:34 AM
[b][color=#f4a460]But still the snake could have killed the baby they are still strong and can choke it. And to teach your kid to play with cobras!!?! Wth is wrong with people!?

A snake that is not a constrictor is not suddenly going to become a constrictor because its strikes are ineffective, so this is false.

luckies4me
05-14-2007, 02:31 AM
We are not talking about venomoiding the snake, what was mentioned was removing the fangs. A venomoid snake can live and thrive, a snake whose fangs are removed often starves to death.

The venomoid surgery involves removing the glands and ducts that produce and deliver the venom, VERY different from removing the fangs.

I know the difference lol. Funny, the lady I know has many snakes that no longer have their fangs (I've seen up close) and they all eat fine. :confused: She did point out one snake, another cobra who's one fang was starting to grow back. Actually, it had two in the same spot. Very strange. Do you know how common this is?

Either way, I feel worse for the snake. :(

jackmilliesmom
05-14-2007, 05:53 AM
Which video is it? I cannot go through them all!

CathyBogart
05-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Cass: It's not uncommon, even the glands and ducts can grow back. That's one of the reasond venomoiding is so frowned upon in the hobby. :) I've never heard of dual fangs though, that's interesting!

jackmilliesmom
05-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Ok just saw the video what are parents thinking and what the hell are people posting this kinda stuff on myspace for? I am completely appalled by this and feel that both the child and the snake are suffering. It seems like this is shot in India where kissing a person in public is a sex offence but letting a baby play with a Cobra - NORMAL - that country really has their priorities screwed up!!!!

luckies4me
05-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Cass: It's not uncommon, even the glands and ducts can grow back. That's one of the reasond venomoiding is so frowned upon in the hobby. :) I've never heard of dual fangs though, that's interesting!

You should have seen it! It was so interesting!!! I wish I knew that type of cobra is was...all I know is that it was black, but a different type than the one I held. :o It was only on one side of the mouth though. I couldn't believe this snake was so docile...makes you think! If I catch her again soon I'll try to get a picture of them if she brings them in. She tries not to bring out the venonmous ones too much, for obvious reasons LOL. She brings her snakes into my work to weigh them, but now that I'm on maternity leave who knows when I'll catch her.

If I ever do get a venomoid I'm going to research big time first. Agave is intact, and he's more than happy to show anyone his fangs lol. He still gets handled, just very carefully. Here's a pic of him running around on the carpet lol.