PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Pawla
05-10-2007, 09:41 PM
There is a tuxedo cat that comes by to visit my apartment about once a month. I call him Charlie. I feed and pet him everytime I see him. My problem is I would LOVE to bring him in, but I have a nine year old female cat. She hates everyone and everything that is not me. I did have another cat, but he died due to contaminated pet food. He was seven when I rescued her. She never really liked him, but tolerated him, as he was here first. I live on a very busy four lane highway in West Knoxville, Tn., and I am so afraid I am going to go to work one morning and find Charlie in the road. I don't think Squeak would EVER accept him. She hisses and smacks me if I let her smell my hand after I pet him. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. THANKS! :confused:

doolittleky
05-10-2007, 09:43 PM
can you take Charlie in and put him in your bathroom or a separate room until you can find him a home?
Melissa

Pawla
05-10-2007, 09:57 PM
I live in a 4 room apartment. I really don't think Squeak would tolerate him. She's very hateful to outsiders. Sometimes even to me.

jennielynn1970
05-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Ummm... how about taking him in and rehoming Squeak, lol. :p
Sorry.... sometimes that's just what I feel like doing with my own guys when they are meanie heads and my fosters are sweetie pies!

kt_luvs_kitties
05-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Have you tried contacting your local no kill shelters?

Pawla
05-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Squeak was 4 weeks old when she found me. She was in an abandoned car screaming her head off when my ex-husband rescued her. It's kind of funny because I didn't want her when he brought her home, but she quickly made me her human. :)

Pawla
05-10-2007, 10:28 PM
I have not tried the no kill shelters, but that is an option. Thanks. I just wish there was someway I could keep him. He is such a sweet boy! He rolls over to let me pet his belly! He would rather have lovin' than food.

moosmom
05-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Pawla,

Never say never. Cats CAN be introduced gradually if done properly.

Try putting the newbie in a room with his catbox, food and water. Play classical music on a radio and go in and visit every chance you get. Rub him down with a towel an allow the older cats to smell his scent, then vice versa. Stack a couple of baby gates in the doorway and let the cats see, sniff, growl, hiss, whatever. After about 2 weeks, take down the gates and let them be. Have a spray bottle handy just in case. There WILL be growling, hissing, spitting. As long as there is no bloodshed, just let her show him where he stands in the hierchy.

Male/female is alot easier, believe me. Of course, that's only my opinion.

I would give it my all if I were you. He needs someone like you.

catmandu
05-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Can you take Charlie in and keep him isolated until you can call a shelter.
As you say you dont want some lunk head to run him over.
We are praying that you can help Charlie.

Pawla
05-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Thank you for the advice. I think it would REALLY stress Squeak out. She gets most bent out of shape just when I go outside to pet him. I may be able to find someone in the complex to take him. I don't know if he has a home or not. I do know that if he does his people have little concern for his well being. He has no collar, and we live on a really busy four lane highway about a mile from the interstate, (which for a male cat is nothing as you know). I'll keep everyone updated! :)