PDA

View Full Version : What is the history behind your dog?

lovemymaltese
07-12-2002, 11:41 AM
I was reading the post about the new Akita puppy Natasha. The akita history was posted and I thought that would be a great thread to start. I love hearing interesting facts like that. I will post the history of malteses in just a minute. Who else knows the history on their pet?

lovemymaltese
07-12-2002, 11:58 AM
The Maltese descends from one of the most ancient dog breeds to be found in recorded history. It has been estimated that the breed originated around 6,000 B.C., or 8,000 years ago. The breed was eventually distributed as an exotic article of trade from the ancient island trading center of Malta.
The earliest known representations of Maltese dogs on artifacts found at Fayum, Egypt (600-300 B.C.), suggest that the Maltese was one of the dogs worshipped by the ancient Egyptians. Numerous pictorial representations of the Maltese occur in Greek ceramic art, such as the vases found at Vulci (about 500 B.C.), and the dog is mentioned in the writings.
The Maltese emerged untarnished from the Dark Ages and continued to be recorded as the dog prized by the upper class, aristocrats, statespersons and royalty. The Maltese was even believed to possess medicinal powers of healing--the ailing would place the dog on their stomach or chest for comfort. Because of this practice, and the dogs warm, affectionate nature and small size, which made it easy to hold in ones arms or lap, the Maltese became known as the "Comforter." Two notable owners of Maltese in those times were Queen Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots.

anna_66
07-13-2002, 01:26 PM
As soon as I get time I will also post about our breeds. This seems like it will be an interesting thread, thanks for thinking it up.

Pam
07-13-2002, 03:42 PM
This is a great idea for a topic because it may allow the thought that poodles are sissy dogs to finally be put to rest. I got this off a breed website, and there is more to poodles than fluff. ;)

Although the Poodle has been known throughout Western Europe for at least 400 years, its origin is controversial. Whether it was developed in France, Germany, Denmark, or the ancient Piedmont, is uncertain. It is certain that the Poodle is descended from a now nearly extinct French water dog, the Barbet and possibly the Hungarian Water Hound. The name "Poodle" probably derives from the German word "Pudel," which means one who plays in water. The Poodle was used as a gun dog. Originally the breed was used in Germany and France as a retriever of waterfowl. Hunters clipped the dog's thick coat to help him swim, leaving hair on the leg joints to protect them from extreme cold and sharp reeds. The French capitalized on the breeds high intelligence, trainability and innate showmanship and made the Poodle into a circus performer. His great popularity in that country led to the breeds common name "French Poodle." The Poodle has been used to sniff out truffles lying underground in the woods. Toy Poodles became royal favorites, particularly in the 18th century. The Toy and Miniature Poodles varieties were bred down from larger dogs, today known as Standard Poodles. The three sizes are considered as one breed and are judged by the same standard. Today, the Poodle is primarily a companion and show dog, though he can learn almost anything.

The "bold" was my edit. Bella certainly is true to her breed. ;)

Dixie Belle
07-13-2002, 08:10 PM
I love this idea! I'll have to get to work and tell you mine!

Dixie Belle
07-13-2002, 09:36 PM
As I have three diffrerent breeds, you will have to bear with me while I search around for them.

The first one is on my new baby, Missie. She is a boxer. I got my info from www.canismagor.com/dog/boxer.html

The talented Boxer is another gift to dog owners from Germany. He is cousin to many breeds developed from the massive Molossian Hound, an ancient Greek guarding, fighting, and herding dog. From Greece to Rome to Europe and Birtain, these dogs gave birth to a number of large, square-headed breeds that assisted men in the hunt and at war.

In Germany, the Molossian type became the Bullenbeisser, a courageous dog that hunted the firece aurochs, a wild progenitor of domestic cattle. The Bullenbeisser diverged into two types, known as Danzigers and Brabanters after their areas of origin. The Brabanters were the smaller of the two; the Boxer developed from this branch of the family tree.

By the end of the 18th Century, the great hunts organized by noblemen had all but faded into history. brabanters moved from castles and great manors to butcher shops, cattle farms, and theaters to ply their new trades of cattle management and acting. Somewhere along the way, dogs of this type became known as Boxers, perhaps for the manner of play that resembles a pugilist's sparring, perhaps for their box-like head.

Late in the 20th Century, German breeders took charge and established guidelines for improvement of the breed. In 1895, they founded the first Boxer club in Munich, and in 1904 held their first show. The breed came to the US in 1903, and began to gain in popularity in the 1940s.

Okay, the leaves me with just two more to go!

Dixie Belle
07-14-2002, 10:41 AM
I'm back!!!

The next one is Dalmations, for our boy Blue. I got my information from, www.k9web.com/dogs-faqs/breeds/dalmations.html

Many people believe that the first established home of the Dalmation is Dalmatia, a section of Yugoslavia that was once part of Austria. References have been made to the breed since the mid 18th century, but its roots almost certainly go back a long time before that.

The oldest activity that the Dalmation is known for is coaching. Early engravings and drawings show spotted dogs accompanying Egyptian chariots. The size, stamina and guard dog abilities made them popular with the English aristocracy to accompany horse drawn carriages. their size allowed them to fit under the rear axle of the coach, where they often ran. Their stamina allowed them to keep up with the horses and guard dog tendencies allowed the owners to leave the coach without worrying about their possessions. It was often said that a coach was better left in the care of the dogs than the coachman, who could easily be distracted by highway robbers.

The Dalmation is most famous for being the fire house dog. this probably started in London where they were first acquired as "ratters", to kill vermin in London'ts stables and firehouses. Soon they were running alongside the fire engine. To this day, many firehouses in Great Birtain and the USA have a Dalmation, although now, they are more likely to be seen riding on the fire truck instead of along side it.

The breed's first appearance in a dog show was in Great Britain in 1860. The first American show appearance was in 1926, when the Dalmation Club of American held its first National Specialty Show.

lovemymaltese
07-16-2002, 01:00 PM
Wow, Pam that was interesting. Thanks for posting, I had no idea.

lovemymaltese
07-16-2002, 01:01 PM
Sorry to work you so hard Dixie Belle, but thanks for posting. I really enjoyed the one about the Boxers, I have a friend that will be interesting in reading it, she loves the breed.

Dixie Belle
07-17-2002, 11:34 AM
I'm back with the St. Bernards. I got my info on them from www.dogs-central.com/dog-breeds/saintbernards.htm

These good-natured giants are world renowned for their long history of life-saving. They are named for the Hospice du Saint Bernard in Switzerland, where monks originated the breed in the 1600's. Strong and long-legged, they are well suited to the cold and snowy conditions as well as helping with the work in places where horses rarely go. It is not uncommon in some places to see them in a harness pulling a child's sled or a small load of fire-wood. Their main claim to fame is due to their rescue work, but they are also excellent watchdogs and good family dogs-if your children are old enough to avoid getting pushed over by these friendly giants. A small adult will stand roughly 27 inches tall at the shoulder but can grow larger. There are two varieties of the breed, as the monks who bred the dog tried to add size and improve the dog's coat by crossing the breed with the Newfoundland Dog-this resulted in a long-haired St. Bernard. It was found that the long coated dogs were not as suitable for rescue work, so the longcoats were given away by the monks as gifts.

There, I am DONE!!