PDA

View Full Version : Why I shop on-line, little rant...

Glacier
05-09-2007, 09:16 PM
I try to shop locally when I can. I like supporting local businesses and I'll pay a few extra bucks for a local supplier, especially if there's decent service involved too.
My lampworking workspace is almost set up and ready to go at home. Just needed the hoses to hook up the oxygen concentrator and the propane tank. Basic Grade t hoses that should be available at any ol' welding supply store. For some reason, there are three welding supply shops here. Not one of them carries this hose. One guy told me that what I was asking for didnt' exist and that propane isn't hot enough to melt gas. Then tried to sell me a MAPP gas hose--my torch won't run on MAPP gas! Another place basically treated me like I was a clueless woman and maybe I should send my husband instead! The last place I checked at least had a clue what I was talking about! He didn't carry it, but he knew what it was--this was at the explosives supplier! Not even a welding shop! The clerk was a looker too. Not so hard to be told I can't have what I want right now when it comes from a pretty boy! He even offered to order it for me. Then gave me the website he orders from so I could get it myself without his surcharges. Should I ever need to blow something up, I'll be going back there!

Went on line, found a supplier in under 10 minutes, in Canada, prices in Canadian funds. Everything I need to hook up my torch should be here within a week.

A couple weeks ago, my camera and my cats had a little run in. Camera is fine, kit lens that came with it was dead. I bought another lens at the local camera shop, who I usually love. They told me that Nikon only sold the dead lens as part of the D-80 kit. So I bought a Tamron with a bit more zoom, but I didn't like it. It's a good lens, takes a very good picture, but compared to the Nikon lens, it's focus is soft. I like overly sharp pictures!

Last Friday night, went on-line, found a supplier in a little town in Alberta, selling the lens I had broke with no need to purchase a new body too, for half what I paid for the Tamron lens! It was sitting my mail box tonight when I got home!

And the local guys wonder why they are loosing so much business to on-line shopping! Good service, no matter what form your store is in, gets and keeps customers!

Cinder & Smoke
05-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Just needed the hoses to hook up the oxygen concentrator and the propane tank.

The clerk was a looker too.
Should I ever need to blow something up, I'll be going back there!

They told me that Nikon only sold the dead lens as part of the D-80 kit.

... found a supplier ... selling the lens I had broke with no need to purchase a new body ...

:eek:
Oxygen Concentrator + Propane = you're already equipped to Blow Things Up! :p
No Good Looker required!

As for the Lense Fiasco - sure hope you're taking the Tamron back for a refund!

And maybe you should call Mr. Nikon and ask him IF that lense is available
as a seperate item.
Just Maybe the little shop selling it *might* have broken a camera kit apart
to sell a body to someone who didn't need the lense.

Any chance Mr. Nikon would *fix* the dead lense under warranty?
Just don't mention "da Kats" when telling what happened to it.
;)

critter crazy
05-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I can agree with reasons for buying online!! Customer service has gone right down the Tubes lately!! It has gotten to the pint where i cannot stand shopping! Argghhhh...either they try to sell you something you dont need, or you cannot find anyone willing to help. and dont get me started on the whole woman aspect! grrr....

cmayer31
05-09-2007, 11:16 PM
I know exactly what you mean when it comes to good service, or lack there of. I was in a large retailer looking for another SD card for my camera. I waited patiently while the clerk helped the customers who were there before me, and then he walked right past me and started started helping the well dressed customer that was waiting behind me; I was pissed! So what if I wear shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops? I wear slacks and dress shirts at work, so I change into something comfortable as soon as I get home. Anyhow, the clerk finally ran out of other people to help and started stocking product, so I walked out of the store.

I could have saved myself the entire ordeal, gas money, and saved money on the SD card if I had just bought one online and waited the 4-5 days for it to show up.

I'm glad you were able to find what you were looking for online. I'd love to find an explosives supplier around here, that would be like a candy store. :D

Glacier
05-09-2007, 11:31 PM
:As for the Lense Fiasco - sure hope you're taking the Tamron back for a refund!

And maybe you should call Mr. Nikon and ask him IF that lense is available
as a seperate item.
Just Maybe the little shop selling it *might* have broken a camera kit apart
to sell a body to someone who didn't need the lense.

Any chance Mr. Nikon would *fix* the dead lense under warranty?
Just don't mention "da Kats" when telling what happened to it.
;)

Oh, the Tamron works and works well. I just don't like it. I could probably sell it and get most of my money back. Don't think I could get a refund.

The replacement lense is listed on the website I got it from as a stand alone item. I think the local place meant they don't sell alone, but they could have offered to order it for me.

There was no way to get repairs on warranty. Even a blind man would have been able to tell that lens had been dropped! There was no way to repair it; the glass was damaged, the lens mount was shattered. It was sent back to Nikon, but even the factory couldn't fix it! I was happy to get away with just a new lens, not a new camera body too!

Cinder & Smoke
05-10-2007, 12:50 AM
Oh, the Tamron works and works well.
I just don't like it.
I could probably sell it and get most of my money back.
Don't think I could get a refund.

WHY can't you get a refund!??? :confused:

Not liking the soft focus is a legitimate defect/complaint - worthy of a full refund!
*Especially* if you're a regular customer at the shop.

Are da Kats washing dishes till they pay off their damage?
:p